The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Dec 28th Dotchin(Ana) Zykov(edm)

86Viking

18 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I think the Canuck should pick up Zykov.  He's only 23, the same age as Horvat, so it isn't to say he has finished developing.  While he's Russian, he has spent his most of his junior, and pro career in North America.  A right-handed shot and the same size as Virtanen.  His numbers has improved every year, so it's safe to say it should continue a bit more.  

That being said, I've never seen him play before, so I have no idea about his footspeed or whether he's able to use his body effectively.  But his draft bio said he's a good skater and with good hands, plus he is a 30 goal scorer in the AHL, not common for someone who was only 21-22 at the time.  I wouldn't put much weight on his performance with the Oilers... since outside of a handful of players there, nobody is doing well.  

He may be useful as the RH shot on the 2nd PP (what Boeser does on the 1st PP), a 3rd line LW that can maybe slot into the top-6 sparingly.  

Hahaha.  You admit you haven’t seen him play before, but think we should pick him up and give him power play time based on a couple AHL stats.  

So, we have 3 guys about to return.  Who do we waive to make room for him?  

Also, he didn’t cut it in Carolina.  They gave up on him and waived him very recently.  

Then Edmonton waives him.   

Doesnt that seem like a bit of a sign?

14 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Hahaha.  You admit you haven’t seen him play before, but think we should pick him up and give him power play time based on a couple AHL stats.  

So, we have 3 guys about to return.  Who do we waive to make room for him?  

Also, he didn’t cut it in Carolina.  They gave up on him and waived him very recently.  

Then Edmonton waives him.   

Doesnt that seem like a bit of a sign?

Because Edmonton and Carolina are the gold standards for developing players now?  lol.

I'd be more worried if it was say... Detroit or Chicago dropping him for nothing.  

He cost(ed) nothing to acquire, so it was a low-risk, medium-reward type of chance.  If he doesn't work out, he goes back on waiver.  If he's able to do as expected of him, then it's an easy profit for the organization.  

As for players to re-assign.... Biega would be the simple choice as there's already MDZ waiting in the wings.  He would most likely clear to be in the AHL.  

Archived