Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

I was wondering who would draft that set of twins, the Wahlgren brothers. It looks like no one ended up taking them! 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, shiznak said:

Nothing to do with the Russian factor, but more so, Russian tend to be an unknown element. It’s not a question, if they’re skilled enough,  but rather can they translate those skills into being a NHL player?

Let me ask you, who was the last highly touted Russian in his draft year, who actually made an impact on his team? Tarasenko and Kuznestov, nearly 10 years ago and even then they both weren’t the top Russian in their draft class. Burmistrov was.

Edited by Silky mitts

I haven't had time to read up on anyone past the first round really so I assume they picked some people they believe in and that's fine with me, I'm not worried about the Russian factor with Pod he sounds like a great pick.

I don't hate the trade but I agree the first rounder is hard to stomach, feels like overpayment when Tampa is the one in the cap crunch, but how do we know there wasn't multiple teams in on Miller?  He has a great contract and fits our needs.

Build through the draft... I get it.

At some point though you have to start rounding out your core with trades and free agency though, you rarely see teams draft their entire squad. 

Our core in my eyes are Horvat, Petey, Boeser at forward, Hughes on defence and Demko in net are our top tier. With support from Virtanen, gaudette and hopefully Juolevi.  

How big of a core do you expect to build through the draft? Not every pick turns out... not even first rounders.

Now we are adding to that with Miller and hopefully some more Defence.

I think we will be a playoff team in 2021 and Tampa can have that pick (I still want it)  but oh well, for all we know we could recover a first in a trade.

None of us know the real cost of players, just because Marleau and Subban were dumped doesnt mean anything to me, their contracts suck.

You have to pay to have those taken away.

Canucks arent done I am sure.

We are complimenting our core  now and going for the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

pk subban cant defend. hes a good hockey player but vastly overrated by media

Laviolette says the contrary.  He used Subban to shutdown the best Fs of the other teams.  The offensive pairing is Josi-Ellis.  He really liked his defensive game.  

This was in April a year ago:

“His game has been the same since he got here,” said Laviolette. “He’s been terrific offensively. He’s a really solid defender. He’s probably undervalued by a lot (of people) in the defensive zone — just going back and getting pucks and breaking out, in coverage and going against big players and top players, he’s been excellent. A lot times you get recognized for the Norris Trophy because of your offensive contributions, but his defensive contributions are equally impressive.”

Edited by mll

I guess I worry that we're not building from the back end. St. Louis and most of the other teams that went far had good depth at D.  Every year the list of injured D men is almost comical. It will happen again next year, and when it does we will wonder why we decided to stock up on mid level forwards when our D has no depth. Then again, we need depth pretty much everywhere so a potential NHL  player is a good news story, d or forward. 

17 hours ago, coryberg said:

A turd sandwich is more likely to taste like crap than a rib eye.

Elite 3rd liner is Boldys floor if he improves his skating his potential is a lesser Miko Rantanen which is pretty darn good.

Podkolzin could stand to improve his skating and shot as well.

But his 2 way potential will put him in Travis Green's good graces and likely a longer leash than Goldy.

10 hours ago, mll said:

Laviolette says the contrary.  He used Subban to shutdown the best Fs of the other teams.  The offensive pairing is Josi-Ellis.  He really liked his defensive game.  

This was in April a year ago:

“His game has been the same since he got here,” said Laviolette. “He’s been terrific offensively. He’s a really solid defender. He’s probably undervalued by a lot (of people) in the defensive zone — just going back and getting pucks and breaking out, in coverage and going against big players and top players, he’s been excellent. A lot times you get recognized for the Norris Trophy because of your offensive contributions, but his defensive contributions are equally impressive.”

He's got probably another 3 good years left tops.

He is 30 now starting the back end of his prime years left.

I doubt he sniffs the Norris though though Giordano just won despite pushing 40 soon.

I could see him leave New Jersey after his 3 years are up and finish his career with the Leafs as a free agent, he gets revenge on the Habs and also to try to win a cup in his hometown.

Posted (edited)

Wrong thread.

Edited by coryberg