The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to part ways with Judd Bracket

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This...End off...

If drafting goes down like a lead balloon over the next 2-3 seasons, maybe Brackett was really the mastermind. If not then maybe just maybe Benning was right, and did what ANY manager would do, if staff are unhappy and don't wanna work the way you as manager, wants them to....

Incredible amount of tears and hero worship going on here without knowing the full ins and outs... 

I would say you would need BOTH Vcr's drafting to tank AND Brackett's drafting to astound to confirm that. i.e. 3 calder candidates or something similar to come to that conclusion.  It's easy to look one way and draw a biased conclusion.  

1 minute ago, FairPM said:

I would say you would need BOTH Vcr's drafting to tank AND Brackett's drafting to astound to confirm that. i.e. 3 calder candidates or something similar to come to that conclusion.  It's easy to look one way and draw a biased conclusion.  

It certainly is... and that seems to be the case here.

3 Calder candidates are incredible drafting, but Benning had the final say on those first round picks, and somehow he almost gets zero recognition for that.

Without doubt Brackett is good as his job, otherwise JB wouldn't have promoted him in the first place, but if he got too big for his boots, Benning did what most managers would do.... 

Benning earned the right to make those decisions...

On 7/18/2020 at 11:05 AM, spook007 said:

It certainly is... and that seems to be the case here.

3 Calder candidates are incredible drafting, but Benning had the final say on those first round picks, and somehow he almost gets zero recognition for that.

Without doubt Brackett is good as his job, otherwise JB wouldn't have promoted him in the first place, but if he got too big for his boots, Benning did what most managers would do.... 

Benning earned the right to make those decisions...

Is he Egocentric, likes everyone's job (Maybe he'll step in for Tanev)?,untrusting of his staff", paranoid

Was Benning was "throwing Darts himself " and not letting the draft be their show like other GM's ? 

What these GM's have said, makes perfect since to me and I base my opinion from it

I believe Benning tells his staff what to look for and they have found it for him, (but now are being let go) it will take YEARS to see if it was mishandled in letting staff go, who appeared to be doing a good job, 

Maybe he will get lucky, but he won't have time to do optimal job in all 3 jobs he took over, and I believe what the actual Gm's have said that a Great Organization is one where - You need a Good Ownership Team, a Good Management Team, a Good Players Team to trust and rely on each other to be successful 

Yzerman

My philosophy is, unless I want to go out there (scouting), which I don't think is possible in the game today to be a general manager and go fly around the world and watch all these players and decide on who we are going to pick at the draft, that to me it's just meddling on my part and just confusing things,'' Yzerman said.

"For me to go and watch a player once or twice or read about a player and decide he is better than another player, I'm just throwing darts and I don't want to do that.''

Armstrong

The model varies from table to table, but most teams put the running of the draft table in the hands of the director of amateur scouting and/or the assistant GM, while the GM takes a step back to let his troops conduct the business of restocking the prospect shelves.

Having a GM make selections based on seeing a young player perhaps once or twice as opposed to the 15 to 20 times an amateur scout will see the player "is the most dangerous scouting of all," St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong said.

Sometimes during draft day, Armstrong will refer back to a comment made by a scout during earlier meetings, but in general, he will let his staff -- led by director of amateur scouting Bill Armstrong -- run the show.

Chayka

“It really is their show,” said Coyotes general manager John Chayka, whose team has seven picks in this year’s draft, including five among the first 74. “Those guys work all year and they fly a lot, drive a lot of miles, stay in a lot of hotels, make a lot of sacrifices. Seeing their players play at the NHL level is rewarding for them. I don’t do the scouting like they do so this is their time to take the reins.”

Anyways I am getting excited about the Play-ins and playoffs

I have always put the Lions games on outside with chairs and  stereo for  guests In Osoyoos

It will be fun (and odd) to be seeing hockey, as I head up back up Aug 1st

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Is he Egocentric, likes everyone's job (Maybe he'll step in for Tanev)?,untrusting of his staff", paranoid

Was Benning was "throwing Darts himself " and not letting the draft be their show like other GM's ? 

What these GM's have said, makes perfect since to me and I base my opinion from it

I believe Benning tells his staff what to look for and they have found it for him, (but now are being let go) it will take YEARS to see if it was mishandled in letting staff go, who appeared to be doing a good job, 

Maybe he will get lucky, but he won't have time to do optimal job in all 3 jobs he took over, and I believe what the actual Gm's have said that a Great Organization is one where - You need a Good Ownership Team, a Good Management Team, a Good Players Team to trust and rely on each other to be successful 

Yzerman

My philosophy is, unless I want to go out there (scouting), which I don't think is possible in the game today to be a general manager and go fly around the world and watch all these players and decide on who we are going to pick at the draft, that to me it's just meddling on my part and just confusing things,'' Yzerman said.

"For me to go and watch a player once or twice or read about a player and decide he is better than another player, I'm just throwing darts and I don't want to do that.''

Armstrong

The model varies from table to table, but most teams put the running of the draft table in the hands of the director of amateur scouting and/or the assistant GM, while the GM takes a step back to let his troops conduct the business of restocking the prospect shelves.

Having a GM make selections based on seeing a young player perhaps once or twice as opposed to the 15 to 20 times an amateur scout will see the player "is the most dangerous scouting of all," St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong said.

Sometimes during draft day, Armstrong will refer back to a comment made by a scout during earlier meetings, but in general, he will let his staff -- led by director of amateur scouting Bill Armstrong -- run the show.

Chayka

“It really is their show,” said Coyotes general manager John Chayka, whose team has seven picks in this year’s draft, including five among the first 74. “Those guys work all year and they fly a lot, drive a lot of miles, stay in a lot of hotels, make a lot of sacrifices. Seeing their players play at the NHL level is rewarding for them. I don’t do the scouting like they do so this is their time to take the reins.”

Anyways I am getting excited about the Play-ins and playoffs

I have always put the Lions games on outside with chairs and  stereo for  guests In Osoyoos

It will be fun (and odd) to be seeing hockey, as I head up back up Aug 1st

:) All good questions... I doubt it though.

The quotes you have found are from really good people. There is no reason to think any different.

However, some people are good at one thing, some people are good at others... Many ways to run a business...

I don't know, what has been going on between JB and Brackett, but evidently something has soured their relationship.

Who knows, maybe they disagreed on players that should be targeted. 

I still think, its wrong to hang JB out, because a scout decides to leave. As I said earlier, he earned the right to make those decisions...

Time will tell. Maybe Brackett becomes a GM one day and then he get to make those decisions.

Agree it will be odd but mega fun to see hockey again. Cheers.

Edited by spook007