The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

Why would the world laugh? The same thing happens here in Vancouver. ;)

Besides these delays are all over Europe.

http://www.usatoday....ze-travel_N.htm

Haha does it? I just find it amusing that a bit of snow breaks the country down EVERY time. Didn't know the extent of the rest of Europe though, I bet Paris looks lovely in the snow, shame I can't get there. :rolleyes:

Eurostar booking office is closed now until the new year, bit crap if you wanted to change your plans.

edit - there is a show on tonight / now called "Frozen Britain: BBC News Special", talk about over the top.

Edited by moz

All those of us from Metro Vancouver join in and sing:

I'm dreaming of a grey Christmas...

If you’re dreaming of a white Christmas this year, you’re out of luck.

Despite much cajoling, Environment Canada meteorologist Greg Pearce said Dec. 25 is shaping up to be wet and dreary, with a lot of grey and not much white.

“Pretty poor” was Pearce’s prognosis when asked what are the chances of Metro Vancouver getting a dusting of snow in time for Christmas Day.

But could things still change? Could La Nina kick into high gear? Could an arctic front come barrelling in from the north?

“Well, we could get surprised,” allowed Pearce — a smart addendum, considering the unpredictable nature of weather forecasting.

But then he continued: “We are looking at temperatures for Friday of 10 C. So I don’t think there’s any chance. No, it’s pretty well nil.”

Despite a frigid start to the season — November’s early snowfall and deep freeze — B.C.’s south coast is experiencing a mild December so far.

“December has turned out to be warmer than normal,” said Pearce, adding temperatures are expected to nudge higher as the week progresses. “It’s not looking wintery for sure.”

The average temperature for the month at Vancouver International Airport has been 5.3 C, which is a degree higher than normal.

The forecast for Christmas Day for Vancouver is 8 C, 7 C for Victoria, 2 C for the Interior, and 6 C for eastern Vancouver Island, which, along with Howe Sound and Squamish, was under a snowfall warning Monday.

If you’re after a white Christmas, you’ll have to head north to Fort Nelson or Deas Lake, said Pearce.

Up in Whistler, there might be snow in the alpine areas, but Whistler Village, where temperatures are expected to hover at around 1 C on Christmas Day, will likely get rain or slush.

The last time Metro Vancouver enjoyed a winter-wonderland Christmas was two years ago, when 27 cm fell at Vancouver International Airport on Christmas eve.

http://www.theprovince.com/life/White+Christmas/4005683/story.html#ixzz18igfFwZ7

• 2 weeks later...

What!? No snow in Bby :(

Booo we're so boring

But it's cold so who knows

I only have class 2 days next semester so hopefully that'll lessen my chances of getting stranded at SFU!

Only 2 days of classes? Wow, lucky, or nice schedule planning. I've got 4 total, but only 2 days will be at Burnaby, so hopefully that lessens MY chances of getting stuck up there too.

Snowfall Warning

Issued at 11:03 AM PST Monday 3 January 2011

Snow will develop tonight for the north coast and will spread to the south coast on Tuesday. This is a warning that significant snowfall is expected or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

A moist Pacific frontal system is approaching coast of British Columbia. The system will interact with the cold Arctic air currently entrenched to produce widespread snowfall through many coastal communities tonight and Tuesday. The system will impact the north and central coasts initially with snow expected to develop this evening. The Central Coast - coastal sections region can expect 5 to 10 cm of snow through Tuesday morning. More snow is forecast for Kitimat with up to 25 cm expected for tonight and Tuesday. The south coast will begin to feel the influence of the system on Tuesday morning. Snow will develop in the morning and early afternoon with widespread amounts of 5 to 10 cm expected by Wednesday morning. In some areas the snow is forecast to slowly change over to rain Tuesday night as the warmer Pacific air begins to mix down to the surface.

Environment Canada has issued several snowfall warnings for much of B.C.'s coastal region, including Metro Vancouver and the Sunshine Coast. Officials say "significant snowfall" is expected.

Officials say a moist Pacific system is approaching the coast of B.C., which will interact with the cold Arctic air to produce widespread snowfall through many coastal communities. In Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, officials say five to 10 centimetres of snow is expected to fall by Wednesday morning.