The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

You serious? Aww shat...got a couple of finals up there tomorrow.

Ya it came down for about an hour but it's fine now. Roads should be no problem by morning.

Anyone been watching the news about the storm is Sarnia? Apparently motorists got stuck on the roads and had to be rescued by army helicopters!

Cooler temperatures and mixed rain and snow in the forecast for the weekend. Looks like another green Christmas according to long range forecasts.

It's still too early to say whether Metro Vancouver will have a white Christmas, but it looks like there is more snow on the way this weekend.

Moisture coming in from the northwest will clash with the cool dry air Saturday causing some rain, possibly mixed with a little snow, meteorologist Mark Madryga, said Friday afternoon.

"It will rain with some of those big snowflakes mixed in. But at higher elevations I would expect there will be two or three centimetres of snow accumulation in the usual places — North Vancouver, Coquitlam, parts of Burnaby and also out in the Fraser Valley," he said.

"It's not a warning for snow for sure. But there's a chance to get some mixed rain and snow."

Friday's clear sunny skies were expected to change overnight into increasing cloudiness Saturday morning with rain in the afternoon for most areas and snow flurries over higher terrain. according to Environment Canada.

Then on Sunday, the federal weather agency says temperatures will dip down to 1 C with a 60 per cent chance of rain or snow for Metro Vancouver.

The snow is likely to continue into Monday with rain forecast for the rest of the week.

Madryga says it's a bit too early for that definitive white Christmas prediction, but so far he said the charts are showing a mild Christmas. He anticipates rain and above freezing temperatures for a green Christmas in Metro Vancouver.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/More+snow+Metro+Vancouver/3995410/story.html#ixzz18RRWy6kg

England and other parts of Europe are being blanketed with snow. Heathrow and Gatwick were shut down due to heavy snow with -17C temperatures in eastern England. Frankfurt Airport in Germany was closed and the snow is even affecting rail travel. Air and rail travel in France and Italy was also experiencing delays and shutdowns.

Sunday’s big English Premier League clash between title rivals Chelsea and Manchester United and Saturday’s games at Arsenal, Wigan, Liverpool and Birmingham were called off.

Heavy snow disrupted European air travel over the weekend and stranded hundreds of drivers in their cars as far south as Italy as a white Christmas appeared increasingly likely for many places.

Britain was hit by more blizzards that shut its biggest airports on the busiest weekend for travellers before Christmas and hit road and rail traffic.

London Heathrow, the world’s busiest international passenger airport, closed both runways until at least Sunday morning to clear the snow, while London Gatwick also closed its runway for several hours.

British Airways cancelled all short-haul departures from both airports Saturday, with all long-haul flights from Heathrow scrapped for most of the day.

Gatwick airport said it was providing beds and cots, distributing thousands of blankets, bottles of water and food and making showers and washing facilities available free of charge.

Flights were also grounded at Stansted and Luton airports near London, at Birmingham airport in Britain’s second city and Southampton airport for at least part of the day.

Meanwhile Eurostar, which operates high-speed passenger trains linking London with Paris and Brussels, was operating with speed restrictions that added up to an hour on journey times.

National rail routes and trunk roads were also affected.

Four people were killed in traffic accidents across Britain caused by the weather. In Lancashire, northwest England, hundreds of people had to spend the night in their cars after an accident blocked the main north-south motorway.

Temperatures dropped as low as minus 17 degrees Celsius (one degree Fahrenheit) north of Norwich in eastern England. Gatwick registered minus 11 Celsius (12 Fahrenheit).

Sporting events were also hit, with several top flight football matches postponed, including Sunday’s big English Premier League clash between title rivals Chelsea and Manchester United. Saturday’s games at Arsenal, Wigan, Liverpool and Birmingham were also called off.

Frankfurt airport, Germany’s busiest, cancelled about 170 flights on Saturday because of the severe winter weather across Europe, an airport spokesman said.

German carrier Lufthansa advised passengers to take the train rather than fly, saying tickets for flights could be used on the railways.

But German rail operator Deutsche Bahn warned that the snowfall would also lead to delays and cancellations.

Dozens of flights were also cancelled at Amsterdam’s Schiphol, the press office said.

In Italy, the Tuscany region was hardest hit, with hundreds of cars stuck on highways around Florence, where up to 20 centimetres (eight inches) of snow fell.

High-speed trains between Milan, Florence and Rome were also cancelled, leaving some 5,000 passengers sheltering in a conference hall in the Tuscan capital.

Florence airport closed until mid-afternoon, while the airport at Pisa, which is used by low-cost airlines, was likely to remain closed until Sunday.

About a quarter of flights from the main Paris Charles de Gaulle hub will be cancelled on Sunday between 0700 and 1500 GMT, while 60 percent of flights were delayed on Saturday, the French civil aviation authority said.

Some 5,200 passengers were rerouted to the airport on Saturday, largely due to Heathrow’s closure, a transport official told AFP. Half of them were put up in hotels while others were given lodgings in gymnasiums near the airport.

In the Bordeaux region five people were hurt on a motorway when a 38-tonne truck ploughed into two vans whose drivers had lost control on black ice, and then caught fire. A fourth vehicle then crashed into the wreckage.

Up to 4,000 people were blocked late Saturday at Brussels airport, which had to accept passengers from other European airports closed by the snow, airport spokesman Jan Van der Cruysse said.

He told Belga news agency: "The flights for London come from everywhere in the world... China, South Korea, Kuwait, the United States, etc. Given that their destination is outside the Schengen zone (for passport-free travel within Europe) not all these travellers have a visa valid for Belgium, so they must spend the night at the airport."

The snowfall even reached as far south as Algeria, where two people died in a road accident and traffic ground to a halt on several major roads.

The snowstorm that has brought the chaos is moving slowly south over Europe, but the cold weather is expected to continue across much of the continent on Sunday and into next week.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Snow+hits+European+flights+leaves+hundreds+drivers+stranded/3998787/story.html#ixzz18XC4AC6b

Don't think it will snow again this year, not even on Christmas. Doesn't seem like it.

Seems unlikely based upon the long range forecast that is calling for temperatures around 8°C - 10°C with lows down to 5°C with rain - a wet, green Christmas from the look of things.

FYI , its not winter yet

Lol, it's past mid December now. This La Nina winter is a bust. We might get 1 week of "winter" in January and that's it. That's my prediction. All this BS about a cold and snowy winter is a wash much like the weather outside right now. Meteorologists are horrible at doing their job, I bet they just pull names out of a hat but instead of names it's their long range forecast.....

19228_700.jpg

England and other parts of Europe are being blanketed with snow. Heathrow and Gatwick were shut down due to heavy snow with -17C temperatures in eastern England. Frankfurt Airport in Germany was closed and the snow is even affecting rail travel. Air and rail travel in France and Italy was also experiencing delays and shutdowns.

Sunday's big English Premier League clash between title rivals Chelsea and Manchester United and Saturday's games at Arsenal, Wigan, Liverpool and Birmingham were called off.

Heavy snow disrupted European air travel over the weekend and stranded hundreds of drivers in their cars as far south as Italy as a white Christmas appeared increasingly likely for many places.

Britain was hit by more blizzards that shut its biggest airports on the busiest weekend for travellers before Christmas and hit road and rail traffic.

London Heathrow, the world's busiest international passenger airport, closed both runways until at least Sunday morning to clear the snow, while London Gatwick also closed its runway for several hours.

British Airways cancelled all short-haul departures from both airports Saturday, with all long-haul flights from Heathrow scrapped for most of the day.

Gatwick airport said it was providing beds and cots, distributing thousands of blankets, bottles of water and food and making showers and washing facilities available free of charge.

Flights were also grounded at Stansted and Luton airports near London, at Birmingham airport in Britain's second city and Southampton airport for at least part of the day.

Meanwhile Eurostar, which operates high-speed passenger trains linking London with Paris and Brussels, was operating with speed restrictions that added up to an hour on journey times.

National rail routes and trunk roads were also affected.

Four people were killed in traffic accidents across Britain caused by the weather. In Lancashire, northwest England, hundreds of people had to spend the night in their cars after an accident blocked the main north-south motorway.

Temperatures dropped as low as minus 17 degrees Celsius (one degree Fahrenheit) north of Norwich in eastern England. Gatwick registered minus 11 Celsius (12 Fahrenheit).

Sporting events were also hit, with several top flight football matches postponed, including Sunday's big English Premier League clash between title rivals Chelsea and Manchester United. Saturday's games at Arsenal, Wigan, Liverpool and Birmingham were also called off.

Frankfurt airport, Germany's busiest, cancelled about 170 flights on Saturday because of the severe winter weather across Europe, an airport spokesman said.

German carrier Lufthansa advised passengers to take the train rather than fly, saying tickets for flights could be used on the railways.

But German rail operator Deutsche Bahn warned that the snowfall would also lead to delays and cancellations.

Dozens of flights were also cancelled at Amsterdam's Schiphol, the press office said.

In Italy, the Tuscany region was hardest hit, with hundreds of cars stuck on highways around Florence, where up to 20 centimetres (eight inches) of snow fell.

High-speed trains between Milan, Florence and Rome were also cancelled, leaving some 5,000 passengers sheltering in a conference hall in the Tuscan capital.

Florence airport closed until mid-afternoon, while the airport at Pisa, which is used by low-cost airlines, was likely to remain closed until Sunday.

About a quarter of flights from the main Paris Charles de Gaulle hub will be cancelled on Sunday between 0700 and 1500 GMT, while 60 percent of flights were delayed on Saturday, the French civil aviation authority said.

Some 5,200 passengers were rerouted to the airport on Saturday, largely due to Heathrow's closure, a transport official told AFP. Half of them were put up in hotels while others were given lodgings in gymnasiums near the airport.

In the Bordeaux region five people were hurt on a motorway when a 38-tonne truck ploughed into two vans whose drivers had lost control on black ice, and then caught fire. A fourth vehicle then crashed into the wreckage.

Up to 4,000 people were blocked late Saturday at Brussels airport, which had to accept passengers from other European airports closed by the snow, airport spokesman Jan Van der Cruysse said.

He told Belga news agency: "The flights for London come from everywhere in the world... China, South Korea, Kuwait, the United States, etc. Given that their destination is outside the Schengen zone (for passport-free travel within Europe) not all these travellers have a visa valid for Belgium, so they must spend the night at the airport."

The snowfall even reached as far south as Algeria, where two people died in a road accident and traffic ground to a halt on several major roads.

The snowstorm that has brought the chaos is moving slowly south over Europe, but the cold weather is expected to continue across much of the continent on Sunday and into next week.

http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz18XC4AC6b

I feel sorry for all those stranded in airports and things but for me personally I am loving it. I love snow and how it looks nice in the sun, not too keen on it when it takes me 2 hours to get to work, but hey, take the good with the bad. Plus I can get out my giraffe print wellies (you guys don't call them wellies so I don't know what it'd be to you guys). I might take some pictures today since I finally have a day off. It's not that bad where I am compared to other parts of the country so I don't have much to complain about, the temperatures have been crazy though, -18 in England? It's colder where I live today then it is in Reykjavik, it's crazy. People are stupid here though, it's not got above 0 for weeks and you see people out in just a hoodie and then they complain they're cold.

White Christmas again for me this year :D (it's been a white christmas for the past couple of years). Happy Days :)

Just watching the evening news reporting on the delays and cancellations from Heathrow and in central London for trains. What a joke, the world must be laughing at us, I'm laughing at us. This happened last year, lessons have not been learnt. If it was feet of snow I'd understand but it's inches.

Country is breaking down.

People are moaning too at the lack of gritters on the roads, as I understand the grit stops working at -5 or something. With temperatures double and triple that, why would you bother using resources that could be vital elsewhere in the winter? (because there will no doubt be a shortage come the end of January / early February).

I still like snow though.

Edited by moz

Just watching the evening news reporting on the delays and cancellations from Heathrow and in central London for trains. What a joke, the world must be laughing at us, I'm laughing at us. This happened last year, lessons have not been learnt. If it was feet of snow I'd understand but it's inches.

Country is breaking down.

People are moaning too at the lack of gritters on the roads, as I understand the grit stops working at -5 or something. With temperatures double and triple that, why would you bother using resources that could be vital elsewhere in the winter? (because there will no doubt be a shortage come the end of January / early February).

I still like snow though.

Why would the world laugh? The same thing happens here in Vancouver. ;)

Besides these delays are all over Europe.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2010-12-20-europe-big-freeze-travel_N.htm