The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Would it be easier to cut and cover and/or bore under 8th instead? I'm just wondering how the hospitals and medical buildings would be impacted if they choose to do it under 10th?

Light rail right on Broadway is such a stupid idea! It is already so busy with two lanes open for cars and then you have one lane for parking. I doubt that the businesses would be happy if they took away the parking spaces in front of their stores to put in their much beloved ground level light rail.

8th is too far from Broadway; the line needs to be close to Broadway as the station entrance needs to be located on that street.

I recall there being some complaints of vibrations at Toronto General when they were tunnel boring a subway some years ago, I'm not sure how the vibrations would be managed here...perhaps, dig deeper?

8th is too far from Broadway; the line needs to be close to Broadway as the station entrance needs to be located on that street.

I recall there being some complaints of vibrations at Toronto General when they were tunnel boring a subway some years ago, I'm not sure how the vibrations would be managed here...perhaps, dig deeper?

Couldn't they just make more escalators or something to make the entrances open up onto Broadway if they use 8th?

But even if they use tunnel boring, wouldn't they have to relocate some sewer pipes and whatnot? So they'll have to cut and cover anyways and wouldn't that be a hassle for the emergency vehicles? And what about all those existing tunnels underneath the hospitals that connect some of the buildings together? Sorry for all the questions!

Couldn't they just make more escalators or something to make the entrances open up onto Broadway if they use 8th?

But even if they use tunnel boring, wouldn't they have to relocate some sewer pipes and whatnot? So they'll have to cut and cover anyways and wouldn't that be a hassle for the emergency vehicles? And what about all those existing tunnels underneath the hospitals that connect some of the buildings together? Sorry for all the questions!

The problem with 8th is that it's on the side of a hill, it would make station construction more difficult and a bit more expensive...as well, with the stations on 8th the station platforms will have to be quite a bit deeper and that's a rather unattractive option. It could be done, but at a significantly greater cost.

Tunnel boring wouldn't require the relocation of utilities and sewer pipes, cut and cover would. Tunnel boring usually occurs at least about 40-feet below ground, well below utilities, sewage infrastructure, pipes, etc. It wouldn't matter though as there isn't any of this under 10th Avenue, only Broadway.

For the Canada Line in downtown, it bored right under the Vancouver City Centre Mall passage and it also bored right above Granville Station. Avoiding passages can be done, and I would imagine they'd bore under any hospital passages given that those passages couldn't be that deep underground.

I think the impacts on hospital operations will be very minor, assuming they go for 10th tunnel boring. The only real problem might be station construction, which would most likely require a open station cut and cover pit. And there's a station planned for the hospital precinct/Oak Street.

They will be testing the Canada Line tunnel's emergency ventilation system tomorrow evening. If you see smoke rising from the underground station entrances, do not be alarmed and do not call 9/11 as that is simulated smoke for testing purposes.

Broadway businesses held a public meeting on the rapid transit extension to UBC last night. The whole thing was spear headed by UBC Professor Patrick Condon, who thinks it's ALRIGHT to have a tram that takes 15 to 20 minutes longer compared to SkyTrain.

Broadway businesses held a public meeting on the rapid transit extension to UBC last night. The whole thing was spear headed by UBC Professor Patrick Condon, who thinks it's ALRIGHT to have a tram that takes 15 to 20 minutes longer compared to SkyTrain.

I wonder how he gets to campus...

I wonder how he gets to campus...

He's an architect specializing in sustainable urban design. He probably rolls in a Smart ForTwo or just hitches a ride with a flock of seagulls to school.

However, from an engineer's POV, he seems to know what he's talking about.

He's an architect specializing in sustainable urban design. He probably rolls in a Smart ForTwo or just hitches a ride with a flock of seagulls to school.

However, from an engineer's POV, he seems to know what he's talking about.

He probably does, but that doesn't make in necesarily "right". Besides, no one should have a degree in social engineering outside the communist party.

If you go down tenth there is no need for tunnel boring. Tunnel boring should only be an option when ALL other options are eliminated!