The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

cool. are there any automatic announcements in the train though? cause i rode it yesterday and i don't remember hearing much except "This train is for waterfront". I was hoping for "Next station is..."

Yup, there are automatic announcements. "This train is for Waterfront" plays right after it leaves a station, and the next station announcement is played right before it arrives at the next station.

You'd be an idiot to ignore the recession.

The NDP have always traditionally been much more of the spending spree types.

But the NDP would increase spending, not decrease it, James said.

“The government is going in the wrong direction and contrary to anyone else across this country,” James said. “If you look at other provinces, if you look at other jurisdictions you’re seeing investments in the economy, you’re seeing stimulus packages.

Hmmmmmmm....good point....what party, in December, well into this recession said 'no' to the question is a deficit possible in the upcoming budget? What party was that again?

And what party was in power in February (when the recession was fully known) when a deficit of $495 million was announced? Who was that? And now, in August is projecting over 3 billion dollars in deficit? Who's that again?

This has nothing to do with the NDP. Stop answering criticism of your party by arguing someone else would do worse. That's pathetic.

And there are also quite a few other automated station announcements and they're still testing them out:

"The Canada Line is experiencing major delays due to harsh weather conditions."

haha great, can't wait to hear that one in action...!

You'd be an idiot to ignore the recession.

The NDP have always traditionally been much more of the spending spree types.

But the NDP would increase spending, not decrease it, James said.

“The government is going in the wrong direction and contrary to anyone else across this country,” James said. “If you look at other provinces, if you look at other jurisdictions you’re seeing investments in the economy, you’re seeing stimulus packages.

That's Carole James in a nutshell.

*recession hits* "The Liberals are not doing enough for British Columbians blah blah blah"

*Liberals spend more money* "The Liberals are bankrupting our future blah blah blah"

*reporter asks what the NDP would do differently* "............. The Liberals blah blah blah."

Now that's leadership!

Edited by Columbo

*recession hits* "The Liberals are not doing enough for British Columbians blah blah blah"

*Liberals spend more money* "The Liberals are bankrupting our future blah blah blah"

*reporter asks what the NDP would do differently* "............. The Liberals blah blah blah."

Now that's leadership!

Yep, her platform is basically this: Do the opposite of what Gordo does.

Now that's leadership!

NDP platforms

2005: DON'T BUILD THE PORT MANN BRIDGE

2006: Okay, maybe lets think it over again since we do need those south of Fraser votes

2008: DON'T BUILD THE PORT MANN BRIDGE

2005: BC PLACE STADIUM NEEDS A NEW ROOF! Technical reports say the stadium roof will fall, it is in need of a replacement as it has passed its warranty!

(2006, stadium roof actually deflates)

2007: HURRY UP WITH THE STADIUM RENOVATIONS! If were in office, we'd have it done in time for the Olympics. It's also great that this could be an MLS stadium!

early-2008 (early in the election campaign): BC PLACE STADIUM RENOVATION MONEY COULD BE BETTER SPENT ON EDUCATION, HEALTHCARE, etc. BC Place renovations are why we aren't spending more on healthcare and education. We'll even create an online poll to ask you what YOU want to do with the BC Place money.

mid-2008 (towards the end of the election campaign): WE ARE NOT NECESSARILY AGAINST THE BC PLACE STADIUM RENOVATIONS

Don't forget about the carbon tax flip flops.

Edited by nitronuts

Yep, her platform is basically this: Do the opposite of what Gordo does.

Or do what Gordo does but promise she will spend 2x the money but wont tell you where that money will come from. Oh says she will do it better because NDP loves the people

Here ALL the headlines from the BC NDP website:

James says her team will hold government accountable, provide positive alternatives: New Democrat leader Carole James has announced the members of the official Opposition shadow cabinet. The new NDP team will hold the Campbell government accountable for its election promises...

Did BC Liberals obstruct justice by deleting key e-mail during election?

Tourism Industry Hurt From Drop In Border Traffic And Campbell’s Double Whammy

Students Outraged At Post-Election Funding Cuts By Campbell Government

B.C. Liberal Deficit Deception Keeps Getting Worse

B.C. Liberals Need To Come Clean About Gaming Grant Funds – Simpson

Not a single story about the NDP. Like I've said before, are these guys even a party anymore? Or are they just the BC anti-Liberal movement? I used to think they had some values, now I haven't a clue what they're about.

Edited by Columbo

"This train is for waterfront". I was hoping for "Next station is..."

There is. About 10 seconds before pulling into the station they make that announcement.

The voice is real annoying. I wish there were fewer. That "this train is for Waterfront" BS that gets pulled out all the time, it's like "well gee, you told me that 15 seconds before I got on"

but o well

the line is great, like i've said, it's cut 20 minutes off my commute home. that's 5 CDC posts.

There is. About 10 seconds before pulling into the station they make that announcement.

The voice is real annoying. I wish there were fewer. That "this train is for Waterfront" BS that gets pulled out all the time, it's like "well gee, you told me that 15 seconds before I got on"

but o well

the line is great, like i've said, it's cut 20 minutes off my commute home. that's 5 CDC posts.

Well, the "this train is for Waterfront" after each station is obviously for letting people who have just boarded the train know. I hardly find it annoying, it's a huge wayfinding asset.

I experienced my first delay today!

Also, since opening day I've rode the train each day at least once... still haven't been checked for fares.

I've had more ticket checks than I've ever had on SkyTrain the last 3 years....I'm going to assume that you paid your fare.

yeah, i paid the fare, but i could have saved a good $15 or so this week.

My point tho is that the woman says "the next train is for Waterfront" the second a train arrives at the platform. Then there are all the signs everywhere pointing you in the right direction.

The best thing the line has is that overhead display telling you when the next train is coming and where it's going. Even the New York subway doesn't have anything close to that.

Here ALL the headlines from the BC NDP website:

Not a single story about the NDP. Like I've said before, are these guys even a party anymore? Or are they just the BC anti-Liberal movement? I used to think they had some values, now I haven't a clue what they're about.

They are the opposition. That's what oppositions do, they hold (at least try to) the party in power accountable.

Why is it that when I make a point about how the Liberals have run a massive deficit, even though a mere 3 months they said it would be much smaller, turn into NDP bashing? Notice how you guys do that? No mention of the issue I raise, simply deflect and put it on the NDP. Funny stuff.