The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Not if it becomes more inconvenient and uncomfortable for them to drive than to take the train.

NOT expanding the highway will do that.

This is why I refer to these people as eco-nazis

They want to inconvenience millions of people and cost the economy millions of dollars all in an attempt to force people to take transit. "Don't upgrade the roads and implement carbon taxes. That'll show them. Then they'll HAVE to take public transit mwahahahaha". Theres really no reasoning with these people. They're a radical nazi regime. Instead of allowing people to choose what mode of transportation they want to use, the eco-nazis feel they should make the decision for people. And they try and legitimize it by saying its for the good of the planet.

Ridiculous

Thank god they're only a fringe movement

They want to inconvenience millions of people and cost the economy millions of dollars all in an attempt to force people to take transit. "Don't upgrade the roads and implement carbon taxes. That'll show them. Then they'll HAVE to take public transit mwahahahaha". Theres really no reasoning with these people. They're a radical nazi regime. Instead of allowing people to choose what mode of transportation they want to use, the eco-nazis feel they should make the decision for people. And they try and legitimize it by saying its for the good of the planet.

Ridiculous

Oh come on. Your position is based entirely in selfishness, and not at all in social responsibility.

Get those single occupant vehicles off the roads, and you'll open them up to essential traffic. Thankfully, the new Port Mann will be tolled, hopefully thinning out traffic on them and opening them up for transit vehicles, delivery trucks, emergency vehicles, etc.

Ridiculous

blhitler39.jpg

It's a picture of a certain someone riding the first train south towards Richmond.

Oh come on. Your position is based entirely in selfishness, and not at all in social responsibility.

Get those single occupant vehicles off the roads, and you'll open them up to essential traffic. Thankfully, the new Port Mann will be tolled, hopefully thinning out traffic on them and opening them up for transit vehicles, delivery trucks, emergency vehicles, etc.

What is so socially irresponsible about expanding our roads and highways?

We have 0 high smog warnings per year. Less than 0.5% of BC has been developed.

Enough with this urban sprawl and smog propaganda

We need more roads, less density, and more relaxed emissions and environmental laws. Its the only way BC will prosper and stay competitive.

What is so socially irresponsible about expanding our roads and highways?

We have 0 high smog warnings per year. Less than 0.5% of BC has been developed.

Enough with this urban sprawl and smog propaganda

We need more roads, less density, and more relaxed emissions and environmental laws. Its the only way BC will prosper and stay competitive.

How will it increase prosperity? How will it be diminished if people are riding in trains and tapping around on their laptops instead of driving?

Whatever becomes of agricultural land if the population sprawls out even more?

What's more, wasn't it you who said "who cares?" about smog going up Valley?

You know what... I'm actually stopping and re-considering what Galvy is saying, and I think he's right. The only solution to Vancouver's transit problems is to stop improving our transit system (which is NOT going to get any better) and focus on expanding our freeways and roads.

I mean, how many people actually take transit nowadays? 20%? 10%? If we're lucky? The Canada Line is not going to do a thing to improve traffic because there's simply no demand for such a line. I mean, look at the 98 B-Line. How full is it, really? Now that I think about it, it's never full, which means that the demand is simply not there.

The 99 B-Line is a no-brainer as well, now that I think about it. The loads are higher than the 98 B-Line's, but 95% is made up of students who live in the inner-city high-crime neighborhoods who can't afford to drive. TransLink used to have the 99S (non-stop service between Broadway Station and UBC) several years ago, and that route was eventually scrapped. Why? Because it was not doing anything to alleviate the 99 B-Line loads nor the traffic along Broadway. Cars were blocking the progress of the buses and they could not get through because there was no thought given to expanding the road network in the city. If there was something like a multi-lane road, more cars would be able to get through, and there would be no need to improve the transit system at all, because it is obviously sufficient.

More roads is the answer, not more transit.

Yes, I'm yanking your chains. Galvy is totally off-base here.

Edited by BuckyHermit

How will it increase prosperity? How will it be diminished if people are riding in trains and tapping around on their laptops instead of driving?

Whatever becomes of agricultural land if the population sprawls out even more?

What's more, wasn't it you who said "who cares?" about smog going up Valley?

Not gonna get into an in-depth discussion about economics. But there is a huge difference between people taking the train and people driving. When you take the train you don't have extra room for groceries, extra room to put items purchased while shopping, you're not paying for gas, you're not paying for a car, you're not getting it maintained. All those things plus many more stimulate the economy and create jobs. Not to mention driving gives you the freedom to go wherever you want (within reason).

And as for agricultural land, we've pretty much developed all the land that is able to sustain agriculture (the majority being in the lower mainland and in northern BC east of the rockies). None of it needs to get removed though. The sprawl can take place deeper into the forests and hills.

Not gonna get into an in-depth discussion about economics. But there is a huge difference between people taking the train and people driving. When you take the train you don't have extra room for groceries, extra room to put items purchased while shopping, you're not paying for gas, you're not paying for a car, you're not getting it maintained. All those things plus many more stimulate the economy and create jobs. Not to mention driving gives you the freedom to go wherever you want (within reason).

And as for agricultural land, we've pretty much developed all the land that is able to sustain agriculture (the majority being in the lower mainland and in northern BC east of the rockies). None of it needs to get removed though. The sprawl can take place deeper into the forests and hills.

You're a moron.

What the hell kind of argument is that? Why would you base and sustain an economy based on building, selling and maintaining wasteful and environmentally degrading products that people could do without or use a lot less of? Ridiculous.

You are aware of soil erosion and susceptibility to landslides that occur if you take out the trees from hilly terrain, right?

Let's face it, city life isn't for you. Move out into the country where the roads are wide open and traffic is sparse.

What the hell kind of argument is that? Why would you base and sustain an economy based on building, selling and maintaining wasteful and environmentally degrading products that people could do without or use a lot less of? Ridiculous.

You may think its ridiculous but thats how our economy works. And how it will continue to work.

You are aware of soil erosion and susceptibility to landslides that occur if you take out the trees from hilly terrain, right?

Let's face it, city life isn't for you. Move out into the country where the roads are wide open and traffic is sparse.

I'm aware of that

Thankfully nowadays there really are no limits to construction. Even BCs mountainous terrain is no match

Boohoo an entire plaza full of students

That means nothing compared to the massive backup of cars on highway 1 and 99

And the difference is that those idle cars are costing the economy millions of dollars per day. The same can't be said for that plaza full of students. Missing 1 bus isn't hurting anyone except the student. They should plan ahead so they get to school on time even with the back ups.

The lower mainland's road system is atrocious and isn't even close to sufficient

And since the majority of residents in the lower mainland use their car to travel to work, and coincidentally they are the ones funding transportation projects, it only makes sense more is invested in upgrading/expanding our roads

Did you not notice the extensive list I gave of road projects recently completed, being constructued, or about to get going? The 3 billion dollar gateway program? Anyone? Anyone?

Even with rapid transit along those corridors people will still choose to drive. Thats what you left wing nuts don't understand.

Time to face facts

And even with a crappy transit system, some people will still take the bus. That doesn't mean that given a good transit option some people will choose to use it. In New York City, which last I checked has a lot of people with money, more than 50% of people use transit. Probably because it's faster.

If skytrain is faster, people will take it. Period.

Ridiculous

Yet you want to block that choice by rallying against skytrain expansion. How odd. I guess as long as what you want to choose is there were all good right?

How does paying for gas stimulate the economy? If there is one industry in no danger of needing a handout it's the oil industry. One would think have a varitey of ways to get to where your going would have a greater overall economic stimulus. Easier movement of people seems pretty good for the economy.

Good luck convincing the citizens on the north shore to allow for your plan of building higher up the mountain and around the hills. They control that land. I don't think the rich guys in belcarra and anmore will feel much different. Coquitlam is build up all the way to the provincial park now (you won there!). Even mission has already developed there hills. Your running out of space there too.

But make no mistake about it, you can sprawl all you want, but the city of Vancouver will never build anything resembling a highway to downtown. After all, why would they wreck their city to convienience you!

You may think its ridiculous but thats how our economy works. And how it will continue to work.

I'm aware of that

Thankfully nowadays there really are no limits to construction. Even BCs mountainous terrain is no match

You are beyond clueless.

You are beyond clueless.

I guess with all that presure to build we need to declare anything above elevation X as a park then. I think the reason Port Moody was grumpy about the skytrain line to Coquitlam is they are still pissed at them changing that nice forested mountain that was their view into the eyesore it is today.

And this from a guy who admired the green fields of Sea Island!

Good luck convincing the citizens on the north shore to allow for your plan of building higher up the mountain and around the hills. They control that land. I don't think the rich guys in belcarra and anmore will feel much different.

Would you call this a case of "slamming the door after you get in"?