The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Canada Line Opening Date

Screw the September Labour Day opening date, the line will be opening BC Day weekend - that's the first weekend of August (either August 1st or 2nd). You heard it here first.

And of special note:

3. The Transit Police and the Fare System are the same, but the staff/operations/parent company are NOT. There will be differences that you will notice on this system that will make this clear:

- our uniforms will be different (green and black)

- attendants will be MORE VISIBLE than skytrain attendants (we will be in most stations, most of the time - there will ALWAYS be someone at Airport station)...

- customer service is a *major* focus for the Canada Line

- and because we are paid by Translink not through fares but through quality/train availability, our stations will be cleaner, more free of graffitti, and better maintained (otherwise, we will not get paid by Translink). Note that this isn't necessarily a dig or comment on skytrain operations/maintenance, I'm just pointing out that our incentive to make money is based on a completely different system than the skytrain (fare revenue only), so there is direct incentive for the stations/trains to be clean and well maintained.

4. There will be MORE farechecks than on the skytrain. Many more... BUT.... there are no turnstiles... all stations are designed for them and they are slated for installation late 2010/early 2011.

Edited by nitronuts

where are you quoting that from? why only points 3 and 4 of...?

We already know the other points...

1) A premium fare for Sea Island, likely zone 3.

2) BC Day weekend opening.

3) last post

4) last post

5) wider trains than SkyTrain

6) Trains will run 3-4 min apart, except for the 2 richmond arms, trains may run up to 7 minutes apart in off-peak hours. There are LED signs on the platforms in every station telling you the realtime arrival time of the next 3 trains.

7) 24 mins from YVR or Richmond to Waterfront.

Don't forget that there's an open house for Oakridge-41st Ave Station on Saturday, June 27th from noon to 5 pm!

You know that bike path built into the Canada Line's bridge over the Fraser? Do you think they'd let you take a scooter over that?

I've got a 49cc scooter that isn't quick enough to go over the bridges, so that'd be great. Is it expected to get quite a lot of traffic from bicyclists?

You know that bike path built into the Canada Line's bridge over the Fraser? Do you think they'd let you take a scooter over that?

I've got a 49cc scooter that isn't quick enough to go over the bridges, so that'd be great. Is it expected to get quite a lot of traffic from bicyclists?

Only one way to find out...

Just keep doing it until they tell you to stop.

Edited by BuckyHermit

I'm sure you'll be able to take your scooter over it. It's not just a bike path, it's also a pedestrian path.

Not to mention, i highly doubt it'll be patrolled that much....there might be some CCTV cameras. And I'm pretty sure that the path is going to be a grafitti/homeless magnet.

Canada Line Opening Date

Screw the September Labour Day opening date, the line will be opening BC Day weekend - that's the first weekend of August (either August 1st or 2nd). You heard it here first.

And of special note:

The good thing is, students won't be packing it come September 4, only to find out there's massive delays in all systems.

The bad side is, I'll have to plan my last 491/496 route way in advance now. I planned on doing a mock funeral during one of the 491 or 496's PM buses.

Canada Line Opening Date

And of special note:

What will become of the 98 B-Line once the Canada Line opens? Will the 98 bus service immediate cease to exist?

The 98 will be rendered obsolete and its buses sold for scrap metal.

If scrap metal is going to be involved, those buses will be stolen, not sold.

But in all seriousness, I think the 98's gone after the Canada Line opens but I have a feeling they're going keep the 4xx/6xx/3xx express buses running for the time being until the next bus driver rotation.

But in all seriousness, I think the 98's gone after the Canada Line opens but I have a feeling they're going keep the 4xx/6xx/3xx express buses running for the time being until the next bus driver rotation.

The express buses will be brought back by January 2010. Mark my words.

Transit service will be so overloaded there will be massive lineups at RC and Bridgeport for those buses.

The express buses will be brought back by January 2010. Mark my words.

Transit service will be so overloaded there will be massive lineups at RC and Bridgeport for those buses.

Words of one driver: "I'd be completely SHOCKED if those routes are gone forever."

The 98 B-Line will be scrapped, but their buses will certainly be in use for other routes in the region. They still have another 10 years in their life span.....will be used for the future B-Line in Surrey, to be implemented in late-2010.

Some of the routes that will be axed will no doubt be revived in the near future (except the 98). One only has to look at what happened for the Millennium Line.

Edited by nitronuts

http://www.translink.ca/en/About-TransLink...-September.aspx