The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

The HOV lanes in California require 2 occupants, the last time I checked.

(Interstate 405 FTL)

18. Why do some HOV lanes allow a minimum of two passengers per vehicle, while others require a minimum of three?

This is the case on the I-10 Freeway HOV lanes (El Monte Busway) in Los Angeles. Recent California state legislative changes have reduced the minimum occupancy requirement for carpools on the El Monte Busway from three persons to two persons, in response to public perceptions that the facility was underutilized. The result has been increased congestion in the HOV lanes during peak periods, prompting the California State Legislature to change the minimum requirement to three-person carpools during the peak periods.

http://www.metro.net/projects_studies/hov/faqs.htm

Just on a section of the I-10 so far it looks like. I just remember seeing the sign and thinking "wtf? That's different".

http://www.metro.net/projects_studies/hov/faqs.htm

Just on a section of the I-10 so far it looks like. I just remember seeing the sign and thinking "wtf? That's different".

Those b8stards.

My sister used to take me out to job sites all the time so she can use the HOV lane. And her boyfriend (who works in LA and commutes from OC) would perk up every time I say "I kinda wanna go out to LA tomorrow" and offer me a ride so he could take advantage of the lane too.

Those b8stards.

My sister used to take me out to job sites all the time so she can use the HOV lane. And her boyfriend (who works in LA and commutes from OC) would perk up every time I say "I kinda wanna go out to LA tomorrow" and offer me a ride so he could take advantage of the lane too.

It's only 3 occupants during peak periods and it becomes a regular HOV lane the rest of the time.

The HOV lane in LA is used a lot during the workweek, but on the weekends, you would think there would be more people driving together, but there's a lot more SOV use than HOV use.

It's only 3 occupants during peak periods and it becomes a regular HOV lane the rest of the time.

The HOV lane in LA is used a lot during the workweek, but on the weekends, you would think there would be more people driving together, but there's a lot more SOV use than HOV use.

Sounds about right... but the "3 occupants" thing must be pretty new because I don't recall seeing it when I was there. But then again, you mentioned the I-10 (which is east-west) and I usually go north-south.

That's odd. When I went to LA, the place I stayed at was right off the 101. I think I only had problems on 1 day when we made the mistake of trying to come home at 6 for dinner. All the other times the highways were pretty smooth sailing. The I-5, I-110, I-10, US-101, they were all pretty decent. The I-5 also has the HOV lane require 3 occupants during rush hours.

Did you see a big brown haze over the horizon?

Did you see a big brown haze over the horizon?

LOL... like a giant fart?

But I did notice a certain something in the air every time I went to LA from OC... The pollution is gross. Whenever I went to LA and returned to OC, I would blow my nose on a tissue and the snot would have black/gray crap on it due to all the polluted particles I breathed in.

Not that OC's air is any better but in comparison to LA's, it definitely is.

Edited by BuckyHermit

Montreal, Toronto envy B.C.'s transit plan

Ingrid Peritz and Josh Wingrove

Montreal and Toronto — From Saturday's Globe and Mail Last updated on Friday, Aug. 14, 2009 09:13PM EDT

When Montreal's airport authority surveys its passengers about their concerns, one gripe recurrently tops the list: The difficulty getting to and from the airport.

Montreal's Trudeau International Airport is close to downtown but there's only one practical way to go between the destinations: by car, shuttle or taxi. A rail link to Trudeau has been under discussion for decades.

Montreal airport officials are more than a little envious of Vancouver's new Canada Line, which opens Monday while similar projects in both Montreal and Toronto inch along.

“We are very, very eager to see things move forward here,” says Christiane Beaulieu, spokeswoman for Aéroports de Montréal. She notes the federal government has funded Vancouver's rail link project. “This is a real need for Montreal … Vancouver's has become reality.”

A steering committee is supposed to announce the route for the Montreal link by the end of this year. Trains wont start rolling for at least five years.

In Toronto, two rail projects are under way that will link the city with its Pearson International Airport, but neither will be up and running until the middle of the next decade.

Construction on an express rail line from Union Station downtown to the airport will begin this year or in early 2010, taking about five years. A new 31-kilometre light-rail line along Eglinton Avenue in the city's north end, which will also reach Pearson, is set to open in 2016.

To Toronto and Montreal, welcome to the 21st Century! Being two of the largest cities in Canada and well recognized as international cities, they finally figured it out that it's necessary to have a train running from the city to the airport. The distance between the downtown Toronto and Montreal centre to their respective airports is a much further distance when compared to downtown Vancouver and YVR, I've never figured out why it hasn't clued in for Toronto and Montreal to have a train line when their airports handle more passengers than YVR. I for one is stoked about the train to YVR and to everyone that is complaining about the 5.75 price, consider it cheap when compared to most cities around the world.

To Toronto and Montreal, welcome to the 21st Century! Being two of the largest cities in Canada and well recognized as international cities, they finally figured it out that it's necessary to have a train running from the city to the airport. The distance between the downtown Toronto and Montreal centre to their respective airports is a much further distance when compared to downtown Vancouver and YVR, I've never figured out why it hasn't clued in for Toronto and Montreal to have a train line when their airports handle more passengers than YVR. I for one is stoked about the train to YVR and to everyone that is complaining about the 5.75 price, consider it cheap when compared to most cities around the world.

Will the airport surcharge apply to West Coast Express ticketholders?

Also kind of unfair that those who ride between the airport's stations ride for free, so those paying to ride to/from the airport would be subsidizing the rides for those who ride to/from the parking lot or car rental, thereby favouring the motorist, am I correct?

Edited by Buggernut

Also kind of unfair that those who ride between the airport's stations ride for free, so those paying to ride to/from the airport would be subsidizing the rides for those who ride to/from the parking lot or car rental, thereby favouring the motorist, am I correct?

How does it subsidize the motorist? I am gonna just assume it people that travel or work at the airport.

Will the new Canada line resume normal operations on August 18th? I am planning to ride the Canada line to YVR and am wondering if my U-pass is valid for that line?

Your U-Pass is valid for the entire Canada Line, including YVR. The YVR surcharge does not come into effect until the 1st of January, it includes U-Pass holders.

Not at all.

The Canada Line at Sea Island doubles as an airport monorail. Had the Canada Line not been built at all or even if it didn't go into YVR, YVR would have spent the same money to build an airport people mover around the island or to Bridgeport Station for the latter option.

Anyhow, I'm glad the fare gates have been delayed. I was quite skeptical as it did seem like they were rushing it a bit when it takes about 5-6 years to properly implement the technology from design to installation.

Edited by nitronuts

Hey, does anyone know the where the entrance is for the Waterfront for the Canada line, I didn't see it last time I was there neither did I see Vancouver City Centre?

Waterfront Station

- Entrance 1: CPR Building Atrium (same building for SeaBus, WCE, and SkyTrain)

- Entrance 2: street entrance on West Hastings and Granville

Vancouver City Centre Station

- Entrance 1: big street entrance at the plaza on Granville and West Georgia

- Entrance 2: Pacific Centre mall entrance, right across from Guess and next to Sony Store

- Entrance 3: entrance through Vancouver Centre Mall

Not at all.

The Canada Line at Sea Island doubles as an airport monorail. Had the Canada Line not been built at all or even if it didn't go into YVR, YVR would have spent the same money to build an airport people mover around the island or to Bridgeport Station for the latter option.

So why do transit riders get slapped with a surcharge, but drivers get a free shuttle?

It seems to be counterproductive to the idea of encouraging transit and discouraging driving.

Edited by Buggernut

So why do transit riders get slapped with a surcharge, but drivers get a free shuttle?

It seems to be counterproductive to the idea of encouraging transit and discouraging driving.

Driving is more expensive just because of parking alone...

Knowing trans-link it wont be free for long.