The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Until it's actually being built I wouldn't count your chickens as to what local roads it will actually connect with until they hatch.

But ya, hwy1, highway 7, highway 7A, and some sort of local connection.

ok, that makes sense. i was wondering where all those on/off ramps were coming to and from.

So, the Buzzer Blog is running a pole on "What is Your Favorite Train". You can choose from the MKI's, old MKII's, new MKII's and the Canada Line trains.

Personally I choose the MKI's. Nothing will ever beat the sound they make when they get going.

Edited by BradMayFan

So, the Buzzer Blog is running a pole on "What is Your Favorite Train". You can choose from the MKI's, old MKII's, new MKII's and the Canada Line trains.

Personally I choose the MKI's. Nothing will ever beat the sound they make when they get going.

Old MK IIs for me, simply because I cannot stand the ugliness of the Mk I's interior and I felt the new set of Mk IIs didnt accelerate right.

And let's face it; the designers for the RAV trains f*cked up. Bench sitting! Bench sitting!

Old MKII, it looks the best inside, new MKII look best from outside. My favourite is old MKII since they are just nice to ride lol

I was in Amsterdam the last few days and the transit system there blew my mind, they have high speed trains, buses, trams, subway and bike lanes to get to every part of the city. It was very easy to figure out and cheap.

Europe is a million years ahead of NA when it comes to transit.

Oh another cool thing, on the trams there is a booth right on the tram with a transit agent, checking each ticket ( or you can scan on and off with a card), no need to transit police etc.....plus it's impossible to evade the fare, they have eveyone getting on go thru certain doors to pass this agent and everyone getting off goes thru other doors.

Just amazing.

I'll post pictures when i get back in a few weeks!

I was in Amsterdam the last few days and the transit system there blew my mind, they have high speed trains, buses, trams, subway and bike lanes to get to every part of the city. It was very easy to figure out and cheap.

Europe is a million years ahead of NA when it comes to transit.

Oh another cool thing, on the trams there is a booth right on the tram with a transit agent, checking each ticket ( or you can scan on and off with a card), no need to transit police etc.....plus it's impossible to evade the fare, they have eveyone getting on go thru certain doors to pass this agent and everyone getting off goes thru other doors.

Just amazing.

I'll post pictures when i get back in a few weeks!

Renderings of a new Amsterdam subway line:

cs2.jpg

vg3.jpg

cb4.jpg

cb3.jpg

85_Popup.jpg

103_Popup.jpg

128_Popup.jpg

Metro Vancouver bus driver assaulted by urinating passenger

Vancouver Sun

September 13, 2009 5:59 PM

A Coast Mountain Bus driver was punched in the face and suffered other scrapes and bruises while trying to eject a disruptive passenger in Burnaby early Saturday morning.

Derek Zabel, spokesman for Coast Mountain, said the man and two women got on the 123 bus, which runs between New Westminster and Brentwood stations, at about 1 a.m.

The bus driver allowed the man to ride for free when he didn’t have any fare. But as he headed toward the back of the bus, the man became disruptive, Zabel said.

The driver warned the man to calm down but a little while later noticed in his rear-view mirror that the man had exposed him and was urinating on the bus.

The driver pulled the bus over at the next stop at Canada Way and Stanley and told the man to get off. The man then allegedly started smashing windows and punched the driver several times in the face, Zabel said.

The driver, whose glasses were broken, suffered a minor bruise below his eye and a few scrapes.

His assailant is described as a short stocky Caucasian, five feet six inches tall and 160 pounds. A search by Burnaby RCMP failed to locate him Sunday morning.

The assault comes as TransLink is in the midst of installing cameras on all Coast Mountain buses. It’s also investigating whether to install safety shields around drivers.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Vancouver Sun

A Coast Mountain Bus driver was punched in the face and suffered other scrapes and bruises while trying to eject a disruptive passenger in Burnaby early Saturday morning.

Derek Zabel, spokesman for Coast Mountain, said the man and two women got on the 123 bus, which runs between New Westminster and Brentwood stations, at about 1 a.m.

The bus driver allowed the man to ride for free when he didn't have any fare. But as he headed toward the back of the bus, the man became disruptive, Zabel said.

The driver warned the man to calm down but a little while later noticed in his rear-view mirror that the man had exposed him and was urinating on the bus.

The driver pulled the bus over at the next stop at Canada Way and Stanley and told the man to get off. The man then allegedly started smashing windows and punched the driver several times in the face, Zabel said.

The driver, whose glasses were broken, suffered a minor bruise below his eye and a few scrapes.

His assailant is described as a short stocky Caucasian, five feet six inches tall and 160 pounds. A search by Burnaby RCMP failed to locate him Sunday morning.

The assault comes as TransLink is in the midst of installing cameras on all Coast Mountain buses. It's also investigating whether to install safety shields around drivers.

I feel bad for the bus drivers, so many attacks. They should have tasers, or the ability to annoy the attacker with a siren lol. Most bus drivers are really nice people.

Vancouver Sun

The bus driver allowed the man to ride for free when he didn’t have any fare. But as he headed toward the back of the bus, the man became disruptive, Zabel said.

The assault comes as TransLink is in the midst of installing cameras on all Coast Mountain buses. It’s also investigating whether to install safety shields around drivers.

This isn't a case of cameras or safety shields. If the guy's drunk, then a camera's no good for deterrence; if the driver gets out of his seat, there goes the shield.

Sadly, this is just another random assault that will probably go unnoticed in 2 weeks.

I took transit from the ferry today. (I also took transit to the ferry on Friday, but that was from work and I ended up taking the 430 to Bridgeport). I was disappointed to find out that the Canada Line didn't make my trip any faster (compared to previous trips between the ferry and Vancouver). Although, in all fairness, it probably would have been faster if I lived closer to Cambie.

On the bright side (well, bright side for translink) it seems there's a lot more people taking transit to the ferry now than there used to be. I've never seen so many people on the 620. It was packed to the brim both ways. I feel really bad for people coming from Surrey or parts of Burnaby where it's still faster to get a bus to Ladner exchange and get the 620 there. Our bus had to leave a few people behind there on Friday.