The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Somebody needs to remind them that the bus is not their own personal chauffeur driven limousine.

Running late is sometimes unavoidable. Running early isn't.

In the city of Vancouver on routes where congestion is as rediculous as pointed out on these routes the buses should be at such a short frequentcy it doesn't matter if they are on schedule, ahead or behind. They should however be GPSed up so that if one is catching up to another because the first bus is picking up the passengers the control centre (which should also have boarding data due to smart cards) tells the driver to go into "only let people get off " mode for a few blocks with the bus that is just behind that guy picking up the slack.

Dare to dream eh?

Richmond Councillors Warn of TransLink Potential Plan for Knight Street Bridge toll

RICHMOND (NEWS1130) - City councillors in Richmond are warning people about TransLink's idea to potentially put a toll on the Knight Street Bridge. If true, you might have to dig in a little deeper in the future for the commute to and from Richmond and points south, and it could have a dramatic impact on commuters and businesses.

The Knight Street Bridge, connecting Richmond to Vancouver, is owned and maintained by TransLink and could be a likely target for future 'road pricing' plans. Richmond city councillor Bill McNulty worries it could significantly change traffic patterns across the Lower Mainland. "When you talk about road pricing, you're talking about adding a tax or a toll, and as a result we're very concerned that may be one way of raising money."

A recent report highlighted the need for $130 million per year from existing revenue sources to maintain current service levels. TransLink's Ken Hardie says ideas are still in the discussion stage. "The issue has actually been discussed for a number of months in terms of how we pay for the big expansion that we need in the transit system in the region. The real key at this time is to look at the concept of road pricing and what it actually means, how it could work and where it might be applied."

While he understands the shortfall, McNulty says tolling drivers on existing infrastructure is not an acceptable option.

http://www.news1130.com/more.jsp?con...16_133303_7504

Richmond Councillors Warn of TransLink Potential Plan for Knight Street Bridge toll

RICHMOND (NEWS1130) - City councillors in Richmond are warning people about TransLink's idea to potentially put a toll on the Knight Street Bridge. If true, you might have to dig in a little deeper in the future for the commute to and from Richmond and points south, and it could have a dramatic impact on commuters and businesses.

The Knight Street Bridge, connecting Richmond to Vancouver, is owned and maintained by TransLink and could be a likely target for future 'road pricing' plans. Richmond city councillor Bill McNulty worries it could significantly change traffic patterns across the Lower Mainland. "When you talk about road pricing, you're talking about adding a tax or a toll, and as a result we're very concerned that may be one way of raising money."

A recent report highlighted the need for $130 million per year from existing revenue sources to maintain current service levels. TransLink's Ken Hardie says ideas are still in the discussion stage. "The issue has actually been discussed for a number of months in terms of how we pay for the big expansion that we need in the transit system in the region. The real key at this time is to look at the concept of road pricing and what it actually means, how it could work and where it might be applied."

While he understands the shortfall, McNulty says tolling drivers on existing infrastructure is not an acceptable option.

http://www.news1130.com/more.jsp?con...16_133303_7504

That's because he is democratically elected and doesn't want a mob with torches and pitchforks to come and get him before he looses the next election.

Bus congestion leads you to taking an otherwise slower (save for the congestion) route. Awesome.

Really depends though. It takes an extra couple more minutes to get from 49 to Broadway on the RAV. Using that extra time, I can guarantee myself a spot on the 49 and head into UBC.

Sure, it's a "slower" route, but it's a route that guarantees me a trip into UBC.

Today, on the way home from Work, I noticed the ETA sign had a 20 minutes gap between trains.

This was at Bridgeport, I came from YVR and the sign had Waterfront at 0 minutes, Waterfront at 20 minutes and waterfront at 24.

What happened? Did a train break down or something?

who said we tried to do that?

Umm are you kidding me? Look around. Vancouver has the record for most miles of rapid transit in a region. Translink has been buying hundreds of new buses, adding hundreds of new routes, trying to blanket the region in public transportation. They built, and built, and built, and spent, and spent, and spent. Now it's all coming crashing down. $130 million dollar shortfall. If they can rasie it, they're threatening to cut 40% of bus service. 40%!! Thats huge. Everyone talks about sustainablility. About how highways and roads expansions are un-sustainable. Well look at our public transit network lmao. Now THAT is un-sustainable. I just sit back and laugh as I drive my car to work. Thankfully the province is finally getting it right and expanding our highways and bridges with the Gateway Program. Sorry left-wingers

Umm are you kidding me? Look around. Vancouver has the record for most miles of rapid transit in a region. Translink has been buying hundreds of new buses, adding hundreds of new routes, trying to blanket the region in public transportation. They built, and built, and built, and spent, and spent, and spent. Now it's all coming crashing down. $130 million dollar shortfall. If they can rasie it, they're threatening to cut 40% of bus service. 40%!! Thats huge. Everyone talks about sustainablility. About how highways and roads expansions are un-sustainable. Well look at our public transit network lmao. Now THAT is un-sustainable. I just sit back and laugh as I drive my car to work. Thankfully the province is finally getting it right and expanding our highways and bridges with the Gateway Program. Sorry left-wingers

hahaha.. ignorance... we are no where near a rapid transit utopia. Just look at places like Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, etc. We come nowhere near their levels and even in translink's dreams we don't come near those levels. I ask you this, do you like sitting in traffic? More public transit should mean more space on the roads.

Galvatron, is that you?

hahaha.. ignorance... we are no where near a rapid transit utopia. Just look at places like Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, etc. We come nowhere near their levels and even in translink's dreams we don't come near those levels. I ask you this, do you like sitting in traffic? More public transit should mean more space on the roads.

Hahahaha. Comparing our city to any of those places is pure ignorance. We don't have the same amount of population density.

And no, more public transit doesn't mean more space on the roads. If that were true, Translink wouldn't have a $130 million budget shortfall. It isn't getting revenue it needs from ridership fairs. Which means not enough people are taking the bus/skytrain/etc. It's a pathetic transit network that is un-sustainable.

Did you read the article?

What do you think is sustainable about driving yourself (you're by yourself when you drive?) to work each day?

You're aware that less than 0.5% of BC has been developed, right? Sustainability should not even be an issue.

People in this thread don't represent the majority of citizens in BC. You're a fringe group.

You're aware that less than 0.5% of BC has been developed, right? Sustainability should not even be an issue.

People in this thread don't represent the majority of citizens in BC. You're a fringe group.

Go back to school, learn some economics, geography, geology, biology, atmospheric sciences, climatology, urban studies, etc., etc., and then get back to us.

What group is that?

Regardless, you've obviously not thought through what you're saying so there's not much point discussing this with you.

Hahahaha. Comparing our city to any of those places is pure ignorance. We don't have the same amount of population density.

And no, more public transit doesn't mean more space on the roads. If that were true, Translink wouldn't have a $130 million budget shortfall. It isn't getting revenue it needs from ridership fairs. Which means not enough people are taking the bus/skytrain/etc. It's a pathetic transit network that is un-sustainable.

We don't, but you were saying that we were tying to be a transit utopia. If that were the case, would we not have more rapid transit than those cities?

So you're saying that if more people took rapid transit, that there wouldn't be less cars on the roads? Walk me through the logic of that one, I obviously don't have your cognitive abilities.