The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

It's great when guys like Toki and VICanuck banter back and forth. Some cool stuff, particularly the Omnium Gatherum (though the growlie vocals don't quite suit the music in my mind) and the Isis.

I'm going to a show in Van in December that has a couple bands that might interest you guys. One is Scar Symmetry. Not really the same vein as those above as it is Swedish melodic death metal...a little more grand sounding:

This is one of the supporting acts. A little more reminiscent of more popular stuff, but still edgy and musically impressive. Mutiny Within:

And, yes, I am also a musician.

It's great when guys like Toki and VICanuck banter back and forth. Some cool stuff, particularly the Omnium Gatherum (though the growlie vocals don't quite suit the music in my mind) and the Isis.

I'm going to a show in Van in December that has a couple bands that might interest you guys. One is Scar Symmetry. Not really the same vein as those above as it is Swedish melodic death metal...a little more grand sounding:

This is one of the supporting acts. A little more reminiscent of more popular stuff, but still edgy and musically impressive. Mutiny Within:

And, yes, I am also a musician.

I like the contrast between the clean guitar in the Omnium Gatherum song and the growled vocals. I generally like contrast in music.

I am a MASSIVE fan of melodeath, but for some reason Scar Symmetry never clicked for me. It doesn't sound bad per se, but it doesn't have the magic of the melodeath that I do like (old In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Insomnium, Archons, Mors Principium Est, Kalmah, etc.). The Mutiny Within track sounded alright. Kind of Trivium-esque.

Edited by VICanucksfan5551

Yup, I'm a big contrast guy too. I'm still trying to get more into death growls. It is an acquired taste. The only other band that I REALLY love that utilizes these is Opeth. I'd love to find more that are able to grab me the way Opeth does.

Yup, I'm a big contrast guy too. I'm still trying to get more into death growls. It is an acquired taste. The only other band that I REALLY love that utilizes these is Opeth. I'd love to find more that are able to grab me the way Opeth does.

Mikael Akerfeldt's voice is godly! I think his clean vocals are the best in all of music, not just metal and he has an impressive growl to back them up too. I'm not into the Cannibal Corpse style cookie monster vocals, but here are examples of growled vocals that I do like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BXt-g4euqA&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NS6dz7DqHQ

Not quite the same style as Akerfeldt, but all of these guys can belt out a good growl without it getting too ridiculously low or incomprehensible.