The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

It's a bad thing. Having competition is a good thing, but the majority of the time womens tennis is plagued by inconsistency. It wouldn't surprise me to see the RG winner lose in the 2nd or 3rd round at Wimbledon, or Montreal.

Stosur v. Schiavone. Stosur is 26 and Schiavone is 29, so I have a hunch that they'll be a one GS-wonder.

With the sisters getting old, with Henin getting old, EVERY major is in the air for women's tennis. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

To me it's a good thing.

Women's tennis could use some variety.

Nadal beats Melzer in straight sets, Soderling beats Berdych in a wild 5-setter... Didn't watch it unfortunately, but I'll definitely try to watch the finals! Will Rafa get his revenge for last year's surprising upset?

To me it's a good thing.

Nadal beats Melzer in straight sets, Soderling beats Berdych in a wild 5-setter... Didn't watch it unfortunately, but I'll definitely try to watch the finals! Will Rafa get his revenge for last year's surprising upset?

NO SODERLING WILL DESTROY RAFA AGAIN

HE WILL DOMINATE HIM

ALL HAIL THE GIANT KILLER

To me it's a good thing.

Having variety is good, but at the same time there needs to be some consistency at the top. Someone like Safina shouldn't be able to hold down the #1 spot without winning a grand slam. The top 5-10 players also shouldnt be losing in the first few rounds consistently. This tends to happen quite a bit in womens tennis lately

Having variety is good, but at the same time there needs to be some consistency at the top. Someone like Safina shouldn't be able to hold down the #1 spot without winning a grand slam. The top 5-10 players also shouldnt be losing in the first few rounds consistently. This tends to happen quite a bit in womens tennis lately

Hahaha, Safina is a total headcase. She wouldn't be able to play if it actually meant something.

Like I said, I think this is just the end of a generation. The sisters and Henin are past their prime, and now there's no dominant player to replace them... yet. I think Wozniacki has the potential to hit it big, but she's also inconsistent. It's just like that small period where Hewitt was dominant for a year or two. The 90s generation was starting to get old, and guys like Roger and Andy still hadn't found their stride. I really hope it's that type of thing that's happening right now, with the turn of the decade.

Wozniak and Wozniacki maybe?

I don't know... But women's tennis hasn't interested me much for all the points mentioned above; the big ones being a) inconsistency and B) the dominance of the William sisters. No wonder the sisters have always won, with all the sketch showings by the rest of the women... Seeds mean nothing in the WTA because of it. If there was a solid top 8 or whatever like in men's tennis it'd be a lot more interesting.

Lukas Dlouhy CZE (3)

Leander Paes IND (3) 5 2

v

Daniel Nestor CAN (2)

Nenad Zimonjic SRB (2) 7 6

Greatest Canadian Player Did it Again

Sweet! I should really watch the men's doubles tennis.

The other pair is pretty interesting... With Paes being from India and all. I wonder if he's a hero there?

Tennis.com had an interesting story regarding the boy's final. Not that I've ever been interested, but one of the finalists just switched nationalities from Argentininian to American, and he's facing off against his best friend from Argentina.

http://tennis.com/articles/templates/features_frenchopen.aspx?articleid=5846&zoneid=34

Stosur v. Schiavone. Stosur is 26 and Schiavone is 29, so I have a hunch that they'll be a one GS-wonder.

With the sisters getting old, with Henin getting old, EVERY major is in the air for women's tennis. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Good.

I'm tired of watching the Williams sisters win.

Good.

I'm tired of watching the Williams sisters win.

Without a dominant player, you'll grow tired of watching women's tennis at all.

Nadal is a cheater. He paid the linesmen, he paid the umps. He paid the guys in the Federer-Soderling game, he's been paying his his through to all his championships. He's evil!!

Nadal's back at top spot on the ATP

Yep... Here we go again.

What an anti-climactic final. Soderling hit some great points but Nadal was just way too consistent... I expect better from the rest of the top 10 at the Wimbledon. (Federer, I'm looking at you.)

Yep... Here we go again.

What an anti-climactic final. Soderling hit some great points but Nadal was just way too consistent... I expect better from the rest of the top 10 at the Wimbledon. (Federer, I'm looking at you.)

How does losing to Lleyton Hewitt in the warm-up sound?

Whatever, Hewitt was my favourite player for some time. I've built my entire tennis game off of how he plays.

capt.7a5aaf62876a4511b48d73d06acd18ed-1267849a8a8940aea93db9962d2a8892-0.jpg

NEVER in my life did expect Hewitt to hold up another trophy (he's practically in tears). Roger fans are saying he let him win for once. <_<

Edited by DL_Panda