The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Geez Feds, that was a close shave.

Was he playing terribly or was Falla actually pushing him to his limits? I was only able to watch the 5th set which he won easily.

Rarely does Federer struggle because the other guy was playing phenomenal tennis (Roddick last year would be one). He was making a lot of unforced errors and just plain bad decisions. Still, he held together and he made it.

Rarely does Federer struggle because the other guy was playing phenomenal tennis (Roddick last year would be one). He was making a lot of unforced errors and just plain bad decisions. Still, he held together and he made it.

Yeah, that's true, and it's also strange that it is. In all his years of competition and success, it's hard to understand why consistency is still a problem. He's so good that his streakiness usually doesn't cost him in the end, but it sure makes some fans nervous. I guess it's more entertaining that way though... Except when Federer makes sour faces!

Yeah, that's true, and it's also strange that it is. In all his years of competition and success, it's hard to understand why consistency is still a problem. He's so good that his streakiness usually doesn't cost him in the end, but it sure makes some fans nervous. I guess it's more entertaining that way though... Except when Federer makes sour faces!

There's a handful of explanations as to why Federer loses games throughout his career...

1. He's a slow starter when playing against opponents he's not familiar with. Once he has about two or three matches with the player, the odds of beating Feds decreases considerably (it goes from 1% chance of winning to 0.00001%)

2. He's playing a guy who has the potential to get REALLY hot, although most of these players are headcases (Djokovic, Safin, Del Potro).

3. He's playing Rafa and he becomes a COMPLETE headcase. <_<

4. Recently, he's starting to get old and he's lost some of the magic. He makes a lot more errors than he used to. Kind of like Tiger Woods now.

As for the other times when he loses for no reason, it's really no reason, just a fluke.

I think that Roger may be in for a tougher time in this years Wimbledon, more players are getting familiar with his way of playing and winning and are able to capitalize on his weaknesses as small as they are. Plus he is getting a bit older now and you have to wonder when complacency will start to be an issue. Greatest player ever though, bar none.

I'm a Roddick fan, so I'm kind of used to disappointment, but he had a strong first match, hopefully he can gain some good momentum and make a solid run at the championship. I swear I must be a curse or something. No team/player I cheer for ever wins...not since Agassi.

And as an Andy fan, I cannot stand Federer.

Good news for Canada, Wozniak's on to the 2nd round. Unfortunately she's playing Jankovic.

Also, Nestor plays tomorrow...I don't generally keep track of doubles but best of luck to him and Zimonjic, make it 3 in a row :)

Roger fans are saying he let him win for once. <_<

Roger would never pity someone enough to let them win.

Edited by ckamo

Guys this is INSANE.

Longest game in tennis history... 6 hours and 44 minutes, and it's STILL going. Tied 33-33 in the last set... Wtffff Mahut just saved two match points to win the deuce... A-MA-zing.

Isner is 6'9... HOW is Mahut still in this!