The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HOUSE, m.d.

nitronuts

I have a feeling Cameron is going to play a much larger presence in the show now, we need her now that Kutner's gone!

And pleeasse, no more major character deaths for another 2 seasons....or ever. Two deaths in less than two years is too much.

I have a feeling Cameron is going to play a much larger presence in the show now, we need her now that Kutner's gone!

And pleeasse, no more major character deaths for another 2 seasons....or ever. Two deaths in less than two years is too much.

I used to like the show but i have grown to hate it. Every episode is basically the same.

Opening scene of patient doing something then collapsing, going blind, having a seizure, etc.

House calls somebody an idiot.

Doctors try to diagnose patient but patient has a seizure, starts bleeding, goes blind etc.

House calls somebody and idiot.

Doctors again try to diagnose patient but patient again has a seizure, starts bleeding, goes blind etc.

Once again House calls somebody an idiot

House suggest some sort or risky surgery or treatment to help save the patient but can potentially kill them.

House has a epiphany and stops the procedure and diagnosis the patient with some rare disease.

I used to like House, but now I can't stand it. It is now a soap opera about who is dating who. It is no longer about the medicine or even philosophically challenging. My favourite episode was on the other night from a few seasons ago when House treats a woman who has been raped. The entire episode is basically House and her discussing philosophical differences while House tries to figure out why she chose him as her doctor. It's a very good episode and not mindless fodder like the new episodes are. Bring back the old pill popping House!

• 5 months later...

^ ever heard of character development and quality acting?

Hugh Laurie is brilliant in 'House' season premiere with Gregory House in mental hospital

By Alan Sepinwall

September 21, 2009, 6:24AM

In a way, I'm glad that Hugh Laurie didn't win the Emmy last night , because he's a lock to win it a year from now for his performance in tonight's "House" season premiere.

The two hour premiere, titled "Broken," has the good doctor as a patient at a psychiatric hospital after last season's breakdown. It's classic awards show bait, in that it's an extra-long episode in which the star spends the entire time talking about his feelings. But when that star is Hugh Laurie, and the execution is as wonderful as it is for most of "Broken," the shameless play for awards isn't too bothersome.

If anything, opening the season with an episode this far off-format feels like a breath of fresh air after the mess that was the previous season of "House." Other than a cameo by Robert Sean Leonard as Wilson, Laurie is the only regular castmember to appear, and it's bracing to realize how little the other supporting characters are missed. Ditto the medical mysteries, which inevitably have grown predictable. This is just two hours of time spent with one of TV's most fascinating characters at his most vulnerable, played by one of TV's best actors at his most inspired.

Watching "Broken," I could easily see myself enjoying a weekly series where House never goes back to Princeton Plainsboro Teaching Hospital but instead fights crime (maybe call it "House Arrest"), or becomes a talk radio host ("House Calls"), or even a crotchety country doctor (also "House Calls").

That said, I've already heard from several "House" fans who have pre-emptively declared "Broken" "a slap in the face" for leaving the hospital and second bananas behind for a week. If you watch for the diagnoses, or the underlings, your mileage may vary on this one.

But if you watch, as I do, for Laurie-as-House, then "Broken" makes for a superb night of television, and is easily the highlight of this first night of the official 2009-10 TV season.

"Broken" is directed by longtime "House" producer Katie Jacobs, and she brings in the star of her previous medical drama "Gideon's Crossing," the great Andre Braugher, as Dr. Darryl Nolan, the head head-shrinker at Mayfield Psychiatric Hospital (several exterior scenes were shot at the abandoned Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital in Parsippany), who holds the keys to House's future. Because House committed himself voluntarily, he can leave the hospital at any time, but he needs Nolan's support to get his medical license reinstated. And Nolan is a sharp enough observer of human behavior to know how much help House needs -- and how much House will fight him on that.

"House" has a history of putting standout actors opposite Laurie and then not knowing what to do with them, often turning them (like Chi McBride's billionaire or David Morse's cop) into humorless, two-dimensional villains. Braugher's Nolan is different. He's not trying to hurt House, or make him stop being the character we know and love (or at least love to watch). He's aware this guy has problems, and he wants to heal him, but he'd be content with a slightly more functional version of House. And where House was able to talk and think rings around his previous antagonists, Nolan knows his way around every trick, because he's seen them all before. It's odd to see House in a relationship where he has absolutely no power, and yet not uncomfortable, because Braugher has the acting chops -- and sly sense of humor -- to hold his own opposite Laurie.

So the first hour plays out like a comic homage to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" -- there's even a basketball game -- only it's one where Jack Nicholson is actually crazy and Nurse Ratched is patient and kind. (The casting of his fellow patients is strong, too, notably Lin-Manuel Miranda from Broadway's "In the Heights" as House's free-styling roommate.)

But there are more than just mental hospital hijinks going on, as House attempts to romance frequent visitor Franka Potente ("The Bourne Identity"), and as Dr. Nolan, little by little, makes House see that the rest of humanity has more to offer than House wants to admit.

But what makes this voyage of self-discovery so amazing is the restraint shown by Laurie. There are tears, yes, and a few speeches about House's internal life, but Laurie is too much a professional (and possibly too British) to show off -- "Look how much I'm acting!" -- and the episode and performance are remarkable precisely because both are so matter-of-fact.

Towards the end, the script -- by Russel Friend, Garrett Lerner, David Foster and "House" creator David Shore -- suffers a failure of nerve, and does a few things it promised earlier it wouldn't. And it's hard to imagine how the House who comes out of this episode will fit back into the confines of the old show starting next week.

But for one night, this is the best "House," and its leading man, have been in a long time. If Laurie's holding an Emmy next year, "Broken" will be why.

"House" (Tonight at 8 on Channel 5) House (Hugh Laurie) checks into a psychiatric hospital in the two-hour season premiere.

^ ever heard of character development and quality acting?

Hugh Laurie is brilliant in 'House' season premiere with Gregory House in mental hospital

By Alan Sepinwall

September 21, 2009, 6:24AM

In a way, I'm glad that Hugh Laurie didn't win the Emmy last night , because he's a lock to win it a year from now for his performance in tonight's "House" season premiere.

The two hour premiere, titled "Broken," has the good doctor as a patient at a psychiatric hospital after last season's breakdown. It's classic awards show bait, in that it's an extra-long episode in which the star spends the entire time talking about his feelings. But when that star is Hugh Laurie, and the execution is as wonderful as it is for most of "Broken," the shameless play for awards isn't too bothersome.

If anything, opening the season with an episode this far off-format feels like a breath of fresh air after the mess that was the previous season of "House." Other than a cameo by Robert Sean Leonard as Wilson, Laurie is the only regular castmember to appear, and it's bracing to realize how little the other supporting characters are missed. Ditto the medical mysteries, which inevitably have grown predictable. This is just two hours of time spent with one of TV's most fascinating characters at his most vulnerable, played by one of TV's best actors at his most inspired.

Watching "Broken," I could easily see myself enjoying a weekly series where House never goes back to Princeton Plainsboro Teaching Hospital but instead fights crime (maybe call it "House Arrest"), or becomes a talk radio host ("House Calls"), or even a crotchety country doctor (also "House Calls").

That said, I've already heard from several "House" fans who have pre-emptively declared "Broken" "a slap in the face" for leaving the hospital and second bananas behind for a week. If you watch for the diagnoses, or the underlings, your mileage may vary on this one.

But if you watch, as I do, for Laurie-as-House, then "Broken" makes for a superb night of television, and is easily the highlight of this first night of the official 2009-10 TV season.

"Broken" is directed by longtime "House" producer Katie Jacobs, and she brings in the star of her previous medical drama "Gideon's Crossing," the great Andre Braugher, as Dr. Darryl Nolan, the head head-shrinker at Mayfield Psychiatric Hospital (several exterior scenes were shot at the abandoned Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital in Parsippany), who holds the keys to House's future. Because House committed himself voluntarily, he can leave the hospital at any time, but he needs Nolan's support to get his medical license reinstated. And Nolan is a sharp enough observer of human behavior to know how much help House needs -- and how much House will fight him on that.

"House" has a history of putting standout actors opposite Laurie and then not knowing what to do with them, often turning them (like Chi McBride's billionaire or David Morse's cop) into humorless, two-dimensional villains. Braugher's Nolan is different. He's not trying to hurt House, or make him stop being the character we know and love (or at least love to watch). He's aware this guy has problems, and he wants to heal him, but he'd be content with a slightly more functional version of House. And where House was able to talk and think rings around his previous antagonists, Nolan knows his way around every trick, because he's seen them all before. It's odd to see House in a relationship where he has absolutely no power, and yet not uncomfortable, because Braugher has the acting chops -- and sly sense of humor -- to hold his own opposite Laurie.

So the first hour plays out like a comic homage to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" -- there's even a basketball game -- only it's one where Jack Nicholson is actually crazy and Nurse Ratched is patient and kind. (The casting of his fellow patients is strong, too, notably Lin-Manuel Miranda from Broadway's "In the Heights" as House's free-styling roommate.)

But there are more than just mental hospital hijinks going on, as House attempts to romance frequent visitor Franka Potente ("The Bourne Identity"), and as Dr. Nolan, little by little, makes House see that the rest of humanity has more to offer than House wants to admit.

But what makes this voyage of self-discovery so amazing is the restraint shown by Laurie. There are tears, yes, and a few speeches about House's internal life, but Laurie is too much a professional (and possibly too British) to show off -- "Look how much I'm acting!" -- and the episode and performance are remarkable precisely because both are so matter-of-fact.

Towards the end, the script -- by Russel Friend, Garrett Lerner, David Foster and "House" creator David Shore -- suffers a failure of nerve, and does a few things it promised earlier it wouldn't. And it's hard to imagine how the House who comes out of this episode will fit back into the confines of the old show starting next week.

But for one night, this is the best "House," and its leading man, have been in a long time. If Laurie's holding an Emmy next year, "Broken" will be why.

"House" (Tonight at 8 on Channel 5) House (Hugh Laurie) checks into a psychiatric hospital in the two-hour season premiere.

Archived