The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discuss Everything & Anything Cell Phone Here

_Kick_Save_

I got an iPhone 4, have no real complaints with it. Haven't had any issues, and it makes a lot of tasks really convenient.

But for curiosity's sake I wish I looked a Blackberry or Android as well.

Picked up the LG Optimus Quantum phone a week or two ago. I love this phone. I don't understand the hype behind the iPhone 4. I have the iPod Touch 4G and for me, that's good enough. Of course, if I did get the iPhone 4, I would have had no use for my newest iPod Touch.

Hey guys, I've got a question. I'm not actually too familiar with this stuff, so please bear with me and my ignorance.

Lately I've been yearning for a new cellphone, in particular one that's a smartphone and has touchscreen capabilities like an iPhone 4. The one I have now is pretty damn crappy in comparison to all these new cell phones, and I feel like looking for something that can hold music as well as connect to wifi and have other misc. things like apps.

How would it work if I wanted to get a iPhone? I'm currently on a plan with Rogers right now, and I honestly don't know too much about how these contract things hold up if I wanted to say, switch to another phone. Can anybody just offer some info on this kind of thing, like what I would have to do or whatnot?

Thanks, I've been thinking about this for a while now lol.

Picked up a Blackberry Torch (I have several friends with BBs) during boxing week. I got into texting/BBM and prefer a QWERTY keyboard and large touchscreen (hence the Torch).

Also picked up the 32GB Ipod Touch 4g recently. I plan on using that as my main movie/music/games device. I also plan on getting another Ipod Touch (summertime?) so that I can use the face-to-face function with my wife.

Yeah...I'm carrying 2 things but I'm OK with that.

More toys for me. :towel:

Next on the list...BB Playbook. :D

I can't browse the internet on a dinky smartphone screen.

Aside from not having the ability to use flash apps online, iphone is much better than the rest.

Its the first phone i have ever had that has a reliable batter. Not to mention i have dropped it three or four times getting out of my car and it is fine. A good friend dropped his android no lie, 12 inches on to a table cracking the glass. This was a few days after buying it.

Hope this info helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Wall Street Journal report - Apple is building a smaller, cheaper iPhone to meet competition from other smartphone manufacturers.

Apple Inc. is working on the first of a new line of iPhones and an overhaul of software services for the devices, people familiar with the matter said, moving to accelerate sales of its smartphones amid growing competition.

One of the people, who saw a prototype of the phone late last year, said the device is intended for sale alongside Apple's existing line. The new device would be about half the size of the iPhone 4, which is the current model.

The new phone would be available to carriers at about half the price of the main iPhone repertoire. That would allow carriers to subsidize most or all of the consumer's cost, putting the iPhone in the same mass-market price range as rival smartphones, the person said. Apple currently sells iPhones to carriers for $625 apiece on average. With carrier subsidies, consumers can buy iPhones for as little as $199 with a two-year contract.

Where the new line would be introduced wasn't known, but Apple recently has released new products first in the U.S. and a few other markets before rolling out the devices more broadly.

Apple also is exploring a major revamp of its MobileMe online storage service, the people familiar with the matter said. The service, which lets users store data in a central location and synchronize their calendars and contacts among computers and other devices, currently has an individual annual subscription fee of $99. Apple is considering making MobileMe a free service that would serve as a "locker" for personal memorabilia such as photos, music and videos, eliminating the need for devices to carry a lot of memory, the people familiar with the situation said.

MobileMe, part of an industry wave known as cloud computing, also could become a focal point for a new online music service that Apple has been developing for more than a year, the people said. Social networking would be another key component, one of the people said.

MobileMe and the new line of iPhones are among Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs's top priorities, one of the people said. Though Mr. Jobs, 55 years old, went on medical leave for an undisclosed health issue last month, he has been closely involved in the development efforts, the person said.

The new line of iPhones and the revamped MobileMe are intended for release this summer, though those plans could change, the person said.

Mr. Jobs by email declined comment. An Apple spokeswoman also declined comment.

Bloomberg News reported earlier that Apple was working on a smaller, less-expensive iPhone.

Apple's work on the iPhone and MobileMe come as the mobile-phone market is heating up. Nokia Corp. last week said it would adopt Microsoft Corp,'s Windows Phone as the Finnish company's principal, smartphone operating system. Hewlett-Packard Co. meanwhile unveiled a tablet computer and smartphones based on a platform the company acquired last year.

Cellphone makers are expected to introduce an array of new models at an industry conference this week in Barcelona. Many of them will likely run on Google Inc.'s Android operating system. Research company IDC expects global sales of smartphones to rise 39% this year to 421 million units.

The iPhone has led much of the cellphone industry's innovation, and 84.2 million units have been sold since the device was introduced in 2007. Still, the iPhone's industry-wide global market share was just 3.4% last year, according to IDC, in part because of the device's higher price compared with many other phones.

IPhones nevertheless are a critical product for Apple, generating 39% of the $26.7 billion in company revenue for the latest quarter. Apple last week began selling its iPhone 4 through Verizon Wireless, a move that could add seven to 13 million units in sales this year, according to analysts. The carrier is a joint venture of Vodafone Group PLC and Verizon Communications Inc.

The person who saw the prototype of the new iPhone said the device was significantly lighter than the iPhone 4 and had an edge-to-edge screen that could be manipulated by touch, as well as a virtual keyboard and voice-based navigation. The person said Apple, based in Cupertino, Calif., also plans to upgrade the iPhone 4.

The new MobileMe file-storage and music service could be available as early as June, depending on the progress of licensing talks that are in their preliminary stages, the people familiar with the situation said. Apple had planned for the service to be available a year earlier.

The new service would give users access to their iTunes libraries from, say an iPhone or iPad, instead of requiring that the devices be synced by cable with a computer and use space to store the actual files, the people said. The new service likely would be compatible with the iPhone 4, one of the people said.

Some MobileMe features, such as a service that locates lost or stolen iPads and iPhones, already are free.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704657104576142262842435544.html#ixzz1Dsm0AK2M

I have an Old Iphone 3G. My 3 year contract expires December 9/2011. What would you do? Upgrade to Iphone 4 now or wait for the new Iphone in the article that Wetcoaster provided. I'm not sure.

Also, Stupid question:

If I were to upgrade to the Iphone 4, would I get to keep the same contract that I have now, just extended by 3 years? A few months ago I phoned Rogers and did some serious bitching about my contract, threatened to leave and they gave me a sweet deal per month on my cell bill. I was wondering If I'd get to keep that same contract or would I have to change to a more expensive one because of the upgrade?

Could someone reply to this? Please and THANK YOU!

I have an Old Iphone 3G. My 3 year contract expires December 9/2011. What would you do? Upgrade to Iphone 4 now or wait for the new Iphone in the article that Wetcoaster provided. I'm not sure.

Also, Stupid question:

If I were to upgrade to the Iphone 4, would I get to keep the same contract that I have now, just extended by 3 years? A few months ago I phoned Rogers and did some serious bitching about my contract, threatened to leave and they gave me a sweet deal per month on my cell bill. I was wondering If I'd get to keep that same contract or would I have to change to a more expensive one because of the upgrade?

Could someone reply to this? Please and THANK YOU!

When you complete a renewal, the new contract starts the day you complete it as you cannot have a service term longer then 3 years.

So for example - if you went into the store today and renewed your contract, the contract would start today and the new contract would end in feb/2014 and your previous service term until Dec/2011 would be 'written off' with the new service term agreement.

As for the iPhone - you gotta ask yourself if you can wait, because the new one will be superior then the iPhone 4.

During the renewal process, will they budge at all on the terms of the contract or is there a baseline term that everyone must pay?

For instance.

My original plan was around $108 per month for my iphone when I first signed up in 2008. Rogers told me that unless I cut back on my data plan, there is no other way of saving money because everyone must be sold the same contract. But when I phoned and did some bitching about crappy service with the Rogers internet stick, cellphone issues, high cellphone bills, ect.. they cut my bill to $85 per month for everything with unlimited texting.. I was still on my 10.

Moral of the story is I want to keep that contract, but upgrade to a new phone. If I go with the Iphone 4, will they let me keep this same contract? Probably not?

If I go with the new Iphone this summer, definitely not?

Thats what I'm thinking.. am I right?

Thanks!

During the renewal process, will they budge at all on the terms of the contract or is there a baseline term that everyone must pay?

For instance.

My original plan was around $108 per month for my iphone when I first signed up in 2008. Rogers told me that unless I cut back on my data plan, there is no other way of saving money because everyone must be sold the same contract. But when I phoned and did some bitching about crappy service with the Rogers internet stick, cellphone issues, high cellphone bills, ect.. they cut my bill to $85 per month for everything with unlimited texting.. I was still on my 10.

Moral of the story is I want to keep that contract, but upgrade to a new phone. If I go with the Iphone 4, will they let me keep this same contract? Probably not?

If I go with the new Iphone this summer, definitely not?

Thats what I'm thinking.. am I right?

Thanks!

Contracts are created to allow the company to give you a discount towards the phone... SO if you purchase the handset at full price, then no contract is needed.

If you use the 'discount' towards the iPhone 4 now, then the phone company will be unable to offer another discount so quickly.

Lastly, call and ask to speak to their 'loyalty' department and negotiate a new contract/ rate plan.

Hi guys,

I'm with Telus Mobility right now and for years I've been using a regular LG phone that doesn't have wi-fi. I think it's time now for me to upgrade since my contract will be ending in July. I'd like to have a phone that can access the internet to check gmail and facebook, but I'm not sure if I need a data plan.

Basically, I'd like to be able to check email whenever I want, but I don't necessarily need to be able to watch youtube or other bandwidth intensive sites. In such a case, do I still need a smartphone and data plan? Telus is offering my a free LG Optimus One if I sign a 3-yr contract, and I won't need to subscribe to a data plan at all. If I want a better phone like the HTC Desire HD, however, I'd need to sign a $50 data plan as well. I'm not sure if I need that.

What exactly are the benefits of having a data plan and a smartphone? What happens if I were to check email on a phone without a data plan outside of a wifi hot spot? And are there cheaper data plans out there other than Telus'?

FYI, right now I'm paying around $35-40 a month for my basic phone with caller ID + voicemail, and so I'm looking for something that isn't to far from this monthly price.

Thanks!

Archived