The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

15yr Girl in Delta beaten to death

key2thecup

I did not make the information accessible by any means. Does "communication of information" include telling people how the information can be obtained???

You can teach people how to make a bomb. That would amount to nothing more than a science lesson and a fulfilment of one's right to knowledge. To actually tell someone to use the bomb would make you a criminal conspirator in the act. Likewise, telling people how they can obtain classified or prohibited information should not be a criminal act in itself.

Thank god Google, Facebook and all technologically significant sites are not based in Canada. It's a good thing they're outside the jurisdiction and reach of the Canadian authorities, thereby giving us the option to look outside of our borders to circumvent their rule.

So does posting the following link make me a criminal?

http://wikileaks.org/

I'm sure there is plenty of banned information that the authorities don't want you to see there.

Not that I know Latin nor legal jargon, but once again, the Internet proves useful in finding out thing that I don't already know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

Anyways, that looks to be about as subjective and open to arbitrary judgement and assumptions as you can get. Good to know we live in an authoritarian police state with a broad reaching ambiguously defined set of laws that they can nail you with anytime anywhere at their convenience.

It is only ambiguous if you go by Wikipedia and do not know the Canadian case law as it pertains to mens rea (aka criminal intent).

In its most basic form it means an intention to commit a prohibited act. In Canada the usual test focuses on the actual or 'subjective' state of mind of the person accused of committing the offence. When you post "here is how you can get around the law on non-publication and find the name", it would be pretty easy for a court to find the requisite intent. Courts will impute intent based upon conduct and surrounding evidence. Your posts are simply waving a red flag.

Unfortunately "nope" isn't a very reasoned response.

Now could you be more specific. What you posted led me directly to the name in question, how is that different than what other people have posted leading to the name. If others may have contravened the law why do you suppose that you haven't?

I would also prefer your answer in your own words rather than a cut and paste.

It could be two things.

1) The above quote from you is not correct. Merely posting a link that lead directly or indirectly to the name would NOT contravene the law.

OR

2) The above statement is correct. Your posting lead me to the name therefore you have contravened the law, ACCORDING TO YOU.

You have either done exactly what you are saying others have or you were just wrong in the original statement. Which one would you like?

It could be two things.

1) The above quote from you is not correct. Merely posting a link that lead directly or indirectly to the name would NOT contravene the law.

OR

2) The above statement is correct. Your posting lead me to the name therefore you have contravened the law, ACCORDING TO YOU.

You have either done exactly what you are saying others have or you were just wrong in the original statement. Which one would you like?

Archived