The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Key Anti-Prostitution Laws Struck Down By Ontario Court

no vacancy

I am not missing the point. I understand what you are peddling and I disagree.

The provisions under discussion are there to allow control and prosecution of pimps and human traffickers (scum of the earth IMHO) - the ones exploiting the prostitutes.

Decriminalizing acts with prostitution (and/or advertising for it) should, in theory, make the industry safer for women AND men who are involved.

I found the Supreme Court case very interesting, where they were deliberating over the car and whether it constituted as a "private place".

The problem is that voiding the Criminal Code sections at issue means that it is much easier for pimps, human traffickers and gangs to profit off the prostitute. So just further victimization which is the basis for the government appeal and what was determined during the prior Prostitution Reference case.

In the real world, such criminal sanctions are needed.

...which I think, ironically, promote the business of pimps and human traffickers.

By regulating the prostitution industry and making it transparent, it allows clients and prostitutes to do their daily business in a controlled environment and while also crashing the markets for people trying to make a business out of it.

You don't necessarily have to void it. Some parts like underaged prostitution should never be allowed, but I admit, legalizing other aspects that are related to prostitution could possibly cause criminals to rely more heavily on underaged prostitution to make their money.

Read the post above you , making things illegal only drives them underground , and allows more injustice to be visited upon the people invovled .

I hate pimps and human traffickers to , i have actually physically beaten the crap out of several pimps , which was many years ago before prostitution was legal here in victoria , and since it has been legalised , pimps seem to have disapeared .

I also have friends in the Hells Angel and Coffin Cheaters , guys i grew up with, and since prostitution has become legal , outlaw motorcylce clubs have stopped their push to become invovled in the industry , what does this tell you .

Prostitution per se is already legal.

And regulation? Do you think that the municipalities want anything to do with this issue as that is where the regulation would devolve upon. Over the years municipalities have been opposed to getting involved in this area.

Nope. are you?

You cite an article that "intimates" and does not apply to Canada so it has little value and less relevance to the specific issue under discussion in this thread involving very specific provisions of the CRIMINAL CODE OF CANADA.

You do realize that in the US the federal government has very limited power to force state compliance with international agreements, do you not?

I disagree your material is more relevant. I would agree in your experience it's more relevant to your opinion but that's as far as it goes. The funny part is you two are probably closer to the same opinion than either of you think but I suppose argument is much more fun.

You failed to display properly that you got his point at all. So much so that as I said it seemed like you were doing so purposely.

Sometimes Wetcoaster, you aren't always right and your opinion isn't always the best option it's just an opinion built on your own experiences. Your experience which I sure have come from your profession would bring about certain situations and circumstances more than others. That would certainly skew the "pool" of people you would have your opinion based on.

Perhaps I'm wrong though and you've done volunteer work in community houses and soup kitchens etc, etc, etc. How many prostitutes outside of your profession have you spent any real time with? I know that question could come off as a joke but I'm just wondering if your opinion is formulated on anything other than things related to being a lawyer.

Seems more like I was right. Perhaps it got lost in all that but I didn't see anything of any substance that didn't have to do with your profession; pro bono or otherwise.

I also never said your material wasn't relevant I simply said I didn't think it was any more relevant. You haven't shown anything to change that opinion. The material you provided is fine...I have no issue with it so you don't need to post it...again.

I wish you had spent more time addressing my questions and musings rather than repeat yourself (or rather repeat somebody(s) else) in new ways.

Seems more like I was right. Perhaps it got lost in all that but I didn't see anything of any substance that didn't have to do with your profession; pro bono or otherwise.

I also never said your material wasn't relevant I simply said I didn't think it was any more relevant. You haven't shown anything to change that opinion. The material you provided is fine...I have no issue with it so you don't need to post it...again.

I wish you had spent more time addressing my questions and musings rather than repeat yourself (or rather repeat somebody(s) else) in new ways.

So are we just going to go "no you are" "no you are" because if so I'm not interested.

Actually I'm just full on not interested. Clearly this is just going to keep going where I say something and you bring up the same thing over and over again. As I said before the way you were portraying yourself and the way you continue to portray yourself gives off the appearance that you didn't get it. I tried to dig a little deeper into how your opinion was formulated and it went nowhere.

Perhaps it's time for another break.

So are we just going to go "no you are" "no you are" because if so I'm not interested.

Actually I'm just full on not interested. Clearly this is just going to keep going where I say something and you bring up the same thing over and over again. As I said before the way you were portraying yourself and the way you continue to portray yourself gives off the appearance that you didn't get it. I tried to dig a little deeper into how your opinion was formulated and it went nowhere.

Perhaps it's time for another break.

It is a fact that here in Victoria , when prostitution was illegal there were pimps that exploited women , and sexworkers in general were faced with a very dangerous working enviroment .

Since prostitution was made legal , pimps have virtually vanished , and the working enviroment of sex workers has become a lot safer , THIS IS A FACT .

Pure logic tells one that if Canada makes prostitution legal then this is what will happen in your country to .

The prostitution laws have been largely unchanged since the early 19th century despite frequent commissions, studies and constitutional challenges since the introduction of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms in 1982

Wetcoaster , don't you think it is time your country joined us in the 21st century ?

There is a general agreement that the status quo of prostitution in Canada is problematic, but there is no consensus on what should be done.[2] There is an ideological disagreement between those who want to see prostitution eliminated, generally because they view it either as an exploitative or unacceptable part of society, and those who view prostitution as a transaction between consenting adults and advocate decriminalization

If prostitution is legal , and well regulated then this is what prostitution is, a transaction between consenting adults .

Who are you , and what right do you have to tell some one else they cannot sell their body and their time if they so wish .

I have got the feeling thats exactly what you like to do , tell others what to do and how they should live

It is a fact that here in Victoria , when prostitution was illegal there were pimps that exploited women , and sexworkers in general were faced with a very dangerous working enviroment .

Since prostitution was made legal , pimps have virtually vanished , and the working enviroment of sex workers has become a lot safer , THIS IS A FACT .

Pure logic tells one that if Canada makes prostitution legal then this is what will happen in your country to .

The prostitution laws have been largely unchanged since the early 19th century despite frequent commissions, studies and constitutional challenges since the introduction of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms in 1982

Wetcoaster , don't you think it is time your country joined us in the 21st century ?

There is a general agreement that the status quo of prostitution in Canada is problematic, but there is no consensus on what should be done.[2] There is an ideological disagreement between those who want to see prostitution eliminated, generally because they view it either as an exploitative or unacceptable part of society, and those who view prostitution as a transaction between consenting adults and advocate decriminalization

If prostitution is legal , and well regulated then this is what prostitution is, a transaction between consenting adults .

Who are you , and what right do you have to tell some one else they cannot sell their body and their time if they so wish .

I have got the feeling thats exactly what you like to do , tell others what to do and how they should live

Archived