The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The RCMP Beat (ing) Goes On - Mantler Trial - 18 Months suspended sentence (post #144)

Wetcoaster

The RCMP beats more innocent people than the HA. How long until we can classify them as a criminal organization, and confiscate their squad cars under proceeds of crime? B.C. needs municipal police forces who are accountable to the community, not to their own bosses (or colleagues...VPD is hardly better). The RCMP are a disgrace.

This man was arrested because he had a gun on a golf course...except he was an employee of the golf course, his job was to fire the gun to scare away the geese, for which use he had a permit. He was kicked in the face because he was responding to police commands 'too slowly', likely because he was recovering from a traumatic brain injury, the result of a recent automobile accident. I hear being kicked in the face is the best medicine for brain injuries!

A DISGRACE, the RCMP are a DISGRACE! Get out of our Province, stop assaulting and killing people!

You know what's weird? I've NEVER had a bad situation with a police officer. They've always been helpful and courteous. MAYBE that's because I never put myself in a position to have to deal with them under less than desirable circumstances. What a concept!

Weird.

The RCMP beats more innocent people than the HA. How long until we can classify them as a criminal organization, and confiscate their squad cars under proceeds of crime? B.C. needs municipal police forces who are accountable to the community, not to their own bosses (or colleagues...VPD is hardly better). The RCMP are a disgrace.

This man was arrested because he had a gun on a golf course...except he was an employee of the golf course, his job was to fire the gun to scare away the geese, for which use he had a permit. He was kicked in the face because he was responding to police commands 'too slowly', likely because he was recovering from a traumatic brain injury, the result of a recent automobile accident. I hear being kicked in the face is the best medicine for brain injuries!

A DISGRACE, the RCMP are a DISGRACE! Get out of our Province, stop assaulting and killing people!

Virtually every occupation involves the risk of road death, but around here at least there is very little chance of officers dying by violence. This isn`t a place where it takes real balls to be a cop, and there isn`t much in the way of oversight, which is why they attract so many powertripping cowardly bully types who feel secure behind their badges.

I'm willing to bet we have one of the largest organized gang threats in Canada. Possibly in north america, per capita. And you're telling me that it doesn't take balls to be a cop?

I work as a courier for Fedex. Not once have I felt like "oh this could be the day that I die".

I guarantee you as a cop, getting a call for domestic violence, or possible gunshots fired it probably has passed by their minds that they could be at a lot of risk. And I'm sure frequently have been injured, or killed.

Mental dude.

Don't even compare other jobs to being a cop. It's an insult.

I'm willing to bet we have one of the largest organized gang threats in Canada. Possibly in north america, per capita. And you're telling me that it doesn't take balls to be a cop?

I work as a courier for Fedex. Not once have I felt like "oh this could be the day that I die".

I guarantee you as a cop, getting a call for domestic violence, or possible gunshots fired it probably has passed by their minds that they could be at a lot of risk. And I'm sure frequently have been injured, or killed.

Mental dude.

Don't even compare other jobs to being a cop. It's an insult.

Let's clear the air on the facts of this assault: I know these facts because I know the family of this man. Firstly he has a permit for the gun and to use it to scare the geese it's part of his job,, he had a trigger lock on the gun which is legal for transport, he was doing nothing illegal. He was slow to respond due to the brain injury from his motorcycle accident. he was completely innocent and any use of force was not justified, he is a very nice and non violent person in fact have never even heard him or heard of him even yelling at anyone, he wasn't or never will be a threat to anyone.

Let's clear the air on the facts of this assault: I know these facts because I know the family of this man. Firstly he has a permit for the gun and to use it to scare the geese it's part of his job,, he had a trigger lock on the gun which is legal for transport, he was doing nothing illegal. He was slow to respond due to the brain injury from his motorcycle accident. he was completely innocent and any use of force was not justified, he is a very nice and non violent person in fact have never even heard him or heard of him even yelling at anyone, he wasn't or never will be a threat to anyone. It was a young punk pig who thought he could boot someone in the face and get away with it, misuse of force and power that is all

When you watch the video an RCMP member subsequently takes the shotgun from the truck after Taveres is in custody and you can actually see the trigger lock in place.

The RCMP spokesperson (see the video) under questioning from the press admitted that Taveres did have the relevant permits and his job was to discharge the shotgun to scare away the geese. It was interesting the way the brain injury was presented as if to suggest that Tavares was violent and uncontrollable. Also he had to backtrack and admit that Tavares was not a former employee as was first stated.

I will be most surprised if the charges are not stayed by Crown Counsel based upon the information that has been released. The charges were laid IMHO as part of a PR CYA strategy. Here is the Criminal Code provision:

Careless use of firearm, etc.

86. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.

Based on the video, I can see absolutely no justification for the kick to the head.

Let's clear the air on the facts of this assault: I know these facts because I know the family of this man. Firstly he has a permit for the gun and to use it to scare the geese it's part of his job,, he had a trigger lock on the gun which is legal for transport, he was doing nothing illegal. He was slow to respond due to the brain injury from his motorcycle accident. he was completely innocent and any use of force was not justified, he is a very nice and non violent person in fact have never even heard him or heard of him even yelling at anyone, he wasn't or never will be a threat to anyone.

When you watch the video an RCMP member subsequently takes the shotgun from the truck after Taveres is in custody and you can actually see the trigger lock in place.

The RCMP spokesperson (see the video) under questioning from the press admitted that Taveres did have the relevant permits and his job was to discharge the shotgun to scare away the geese. It was interesting the way the brain injury was presented as if to suggest that Tavares was violent and uncontrollable. Also he had to backtrack and admit that Tavares was not a former employee as was first stated.

I will be most surprised if the charges are not stayed by Crown Counsel based upon the information that has been released. The charges were laid IMHO as part of a PR CYA strategy. Here is the Criminal Code provision:

Careless use of firearm, etc.

86. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.

Based on the video, I can see absolutely no justification for the kick to the head.

In the original article you posted, it states that the man is "currently on disability leave". Would that not mean that despite having the proper permits and being an employee, he probably wasn't supposed to be using the shotgun at the golf course. This seems to be confirmed by The Globe and Mail which says:

To me it seems like a fairly legitimate criminal charge.

I suppose I don't know what constitutes "careless use" in the eyes of the law, but to me it seems pretty careless to be firing a gun in a golf course when he wasn't supposed to be. Again that's just how I interpreted it, I truly have no idea what the exactly the law means by "careless".

Archived