The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

Could someone tell me the name of the site that footage was taken from (not Youtube)? I was watching it the first day but hadn't bookmarked the link.

Edit: Nvm, found it.

Edited by Sacha Michel

Honey, where did we park?

Sorry, it's one of those situations where I'm trying to laugh to keep from crying. I don't know if we've ever had a disaster of this scale in such a developed country where access to video and internet was so readily available.

The amount of pictures and videos emerging can simply inundate you. They are incredibly sobering.

Everything with this situation is unique from an observational standpoint. To be able to see a tsunami hit a village from an aerial view? That's practically magic.

We live in amazing, frightening and inspiring times.

The surrealness of seeing these things happen live reminds me of the lyrics from The Boy In The Bubble by Paul Simon.

/ Lasers in the jungle somewhere.

He is a really funny guy, and he makes science and physics, particularly AstroPhysics, really accesible and easy to understand.

Bill Nye is good too....I grew up with him and his show.

But Dr. Tyson, is heads and shoulders above right now for me. He is just uber smart in a range of topics.

You should really check out :

Neil is awesome. i was just watching this when I refreshed this thread and you mentioned him:

His show on PBS is awesome too.

Honey, where did we park?

Sorry, it's one of those situations where I'm trying to laugh to keep from crying. I don't know if we've ever had a disaster of this scale in such a developed country where access to video and internet was so readily available.

The amount of pictures and videos emerging can simply inundate you. They are incredibly sobering.

Totally acceptable. Even Katrina or the '05 tsunami did not have instant access to news like this.

Humour is one step to the process of realizing the breadth of the tragedy.

• Upvote 1

Meltdown Caused Nuke Plant Explosion: Safety Body

Sunday, March 13, 2011

TOKYO (Nikkei)--The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) said Saturday afternoon the explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant could only have been caused by a meltdown of the reactor core.

The same day, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501), which runs the plant, began to flood the damaged reactor with seawater to cool it down, resorting to measures that could rust the reactor and force the utility to scrap it.

Cesium and iodine, by-products of nuclear fission, were detected around the plant, which would make the explosion the worst accident in the roughly 50-year history of Japanese nuclear power generation.

An explosion was heard near the plant's No. 1 reactor about 3:30 p.m. and plumes of white smoke went up 10 minutes later. The ceiling of the building housing the reactor collapsed, according to information obtained by Fukushima prefectural authorities.

At a news conference Saturday night, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano discounted the possibility of a significant leak of radioactive material from the accident. "The walls of the building containing the reactor were destroyed, meaning that the metal container encasing the reactor did not explode," Edano said.

The amount of radiation detected inside the plant after 4:00 p.m. slightly exceeded the dose people can safely receive in a year, according to information obtained by the Fukushima prefectural government.

The No. 1 reactor shut down automatically soon after a massive earthquake hit the area Friday, but its emergency core cooling system failed to cool the reactor's core sufficiently.

NISA is affiliated with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

(The Nikkei March 13 edition)

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110312D12JFF03.htm

Look at this - I'm confident you will be BURNING with rage like I am. Absolute disgusting. <a href='http://www.3030fm.com/3.jpg' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.3030fm.com/3.jpg</a><br />

Wow. No words. Thats absolutely disgusting. I couldn't even read through all of them. Some people are just unbelievable.

Look at this - I'm confident you will be BURNING with rage like I am. Absolute disgusting.

http://www.3030fm.com/3.jpg

Not burning with rage because I quite expect it from a certain segment of Americans. People like that live in a hell of their own making. Their hate paralyzes them and they cannot evolve for the better. I pity them and their stupidity, but I'm not surprised by it.

• Upvote 1

If anyone is still looking for updates/coverage, I would highly recommend CNN Live Online-- they have live coverage from their affiliate NHK. Some of the footage is old, but some of it I've only just seen for the first time. They're also explaining stuff about the reactor problems and coverage from the evacuation.Also, its been mentioned before but check out channel 514 on SHAW for coverage. Other than that, I'm using TWITTER, but its not as frequent information wise as it was yesterday.

Look at this - I'm confident you will be BURNING with rage like I am. Absolute disgusting.

http://www.3030fm.com/3.jpg

horrible, one guy even said "payback for nuking pearl harbour"

:frantic:

Sometime I questions information from the internet, makes me :picard: to see how many people believe everything they hear on twitter, example celebrity deaths.

Anyways, i'm starting to really question Vancouver, and the PNW region's earthquake readiness, our building standards aren't even close to those of Japan's.

If anyone is still looking for updates/coverage, I would highly recommend CNN Live Online-- they have live coverage from their affiliate NHK. Some of the footage is old, but some of it I've only just seen for the first time. They're also explaining stuff about the reactor problems and coverage from the evacuation.Also, its been mentioned before but check out channel 514 on SHAW for coverage. Other than that, I'm using TWITTER, but its not as frequent information wise as it was yesterday.

Twitter is always great at the beginning, but eventually it just becomes RT's of RT's of RT's and you don't know if you're getting new or old information.

There's always people late to the party who caption with "BREAKING NEWS" and it's 2 days old.

This has been very valuable for me:

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2

Edited by Aquiace

horrible, one guy even said "payback for nuking pearl harbour"

:frantic:

Sometime I questions information from the internet, makes me :picard: to see how many people believe everything they hear on twitter, example celebrity deaths.

Anyways, i'm starting to really question Vancouver, and the PNW region's earthquake readiness, our building standards aren't even close to those of Japan's.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

\ I am not surprised by the historical & cultural ignorance and the racism of internet. Youtube has left it's indelible mark upon me.

Edited by theminister