The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any of you guys want to play in Scotland : Flyers the 2nd Season.

Bodee

This is so neat.

Always love seeing hockey growing in other countries.

Thanks for sharing. Now I have a team to cheer for in the UK. Next time I'm in the UK again I'll definitely check out a game.

ANOTHER CANADIAN DEFENCEMAN JOINS FLYERS

Following the signing of Jeff Caister last week, Fife Flyers are delighted to announce that Caister's former team-mate, Derek Keller has also joined the Kirkcaldy club for the 2012/2013 season.

Derek, a 5ft 11 ins, 25 years old Canadian defenceman, played alongside Jeff with St Lawrence University before linking up with him once again at South Carolina Stingrays in the East Coast Hockey League in North America. Last season, Keller was joined at Stingrays by Mike Hamilton, who left Flyers over the Christmas period for the South Carolina organisation.

Flyers' Assistant Coach, Danny Stewart said of his signing, 'Derek is a good skating and puck moving defenceman that will be able to play for us in all situations. He is a former captain of a great NCAA programme at St Lawrence University and has been with the South Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL ever since he left college.'

'He is a solid all round player that will log a lot of minutes and help us greatly with our special teams. We wanted to bring in guys that can play all over the ice and are good people on the locker room and Derek definitely gives all of that. This, along with the signing of Jeff Caister, gives us two very good defencemen from the ECHL and is a great start in building this team for next season.'

Speaking from his home in Saskatchewan, Derek commented, 'I am very excited to have joined Fife Flyers and to become a part of their long history and tradition. My goal is to help bring our fans and exciting brand of hockey together with a winning season. I am so looking forward to coming to Scotland.'

Head Coach, Todd Dutiaume added, 'Derek is another good signing and we are also pleased with the progress we are making in our talks to other players and as soon as we get them tied up we'll let the fans know immediately.'

• 1 month later...

Well guys, no lockout in the UK and I am excited to see how much my team has improved over last season. Given the small scale way we approached last season and the bad luck that seemed to follow; most of the fans feel that despite these handicaps we still showed the other teams in the league that we have a very strong and vociferous fan base who gets right behind the team no matter the results.

This year is the Flyer's 75th anniversary having first stepped onto the ice in the old barn way back in 1938. We don't really have the finances to make too big a splash, my club is owned by a couple of local businessmen who are hardly in the millionaire class. That said I have heard that the players will by welcomed by brand new dressing room facilities (at last, I hear some of the ex-players out there who have said above how they thought they were a bit antiquated and that was them probably being polite )

This Club has never been about the money though and I think that is why it has been so successful and survived for so long while others with supposedly much more financial clout have fallen by the wayside.

This team is a part of Fife and a Kirkcaldy institution. The Fife Flyers fan is working class and born with a hockey DNA. It's the fan's kids who play pewee hockey and come up through the various teams and if they prove good enough eventually play for the Flyers.

Our local lads all hold down full time or part time jobs and yet find the time to train with the imports and manage the excessive travelling involved. All these things are appreciated by the fans and you will never see a Fife Flyers player attacked on the forums like you see on the Canucks forum. (that is probably why I defend so many of them.........I just don't understand it)

A word here for Tim Maxwell who unfortunately took one concussion too many and has been forced to retire. If Tim happens to see this or anyone knows him, the Fife fans are devastated by this news and were very much looking forward to you coming back. You were a player who came in part way through the season but your style and attitude on and off the ice endeared you to the Fife Fans. Good luck to you and your family and all the best in your new career.

Here is a small round up video

• 3 weeks later...

Getting off to a Flyer............Is this a sign of what we can do this Season?

Courtesy of Forum Mod FifeFlyers.

"Fife Flyers were crowned the Scottish Autumn Cup champions after a dominant performance in the inaugural final over Braehead Clan. Flyers got off to a dream start when Jason Pitton grabbed his 1st goal of the night after just 15 seconds when he opened the scoring. It was not long before Flyers bagged their 2nd when at 4:17, Pitton grabbed his 2nd of the evening after Zach Carriveau banged off the crossbar for Pitton to mop up and make it 2-0. Braehead pulled one back less than 2 minutes later when they capitalised on the powerplay. Brock McPherson tapped in a shot from the point to make it 2-1. The first period ended 3-2 in favour of Braehead after Robert Farmer got his 1st of the evening at 14:54, before grabbing his 2nd of the evening with 17:28 played.

Despite coming out 3-2 down for the 2nd period Flyers were the dominant team and quickly levelled things up at 22:58 when player/coach Todd Dutiaume scored to pull it back to 3-3, before Casey Haines put Flyers back in front less than a minute later making it 4-3.

Things were starting to get feisty, and a scuffle in the corner near the Flyers goal saw Adam Walker go to the box for 2+2 after an accidental high sticks, Clan’s Maunu then found himself in the box shortly after, which gave the Flyers a 2 minute 5 on 3 which saw Jason Pitton capitalise on the powerplay, to send Flyers 5-3 up. With less than 3 minutes to go Danny Stewart and Ryan Watt dropped the gloves at centre ice and went toe-to-toe with Stewart coming out the winner after sending Watt to the ice. Danny Stewart sat out for 5 minutes, whilst Ryan Watt was given 5 minutes for fighting, plus a 2+10 for instigating. The 2nd period finished 5-3 for Flyers and the shots on goals were heavily in Flyers favour 16-6.

Could it be another quick start to the final period for Fife? Well yes, with only 43:03 played in the period, Jason Pitton grabbed his 4th goal of the evening and sent the crowd crazy as the lead was increased to 6-3. Flyers final goal came just over a minute later when at 44:38 Kris Hogg grabbed his 2nd goal of the weekend to make it 7-3 Flyers. From that point on it was a case of damage limitation for Braehead as the game drew to a close."

While this is a pre season tournament it looks as if Fife Flyers have learned a few lessons. I still think they could be caught short if any of their import players

(9 imports as opposed to most other teams having 11)

take injuries like last year but it seems our local lads have raised their game and their fitness levels.

Still I am lookinng forward to my first game this weekend when the real start to the League season begins.

Not hockey, just a cool film on Edinburgh which is only 25 miles away and looks across the River Forth (home of the iconic Forth Bridge) to Fife.

More shots of Edinburgh ............from an unusual perspective.

Edinburgh and West.

Great video, love the choice to use Nine Inch Nails for the music. I am looking forward to going back to Edinburgh. My girlfriend and I visited Scotland in 2007 and we are planning to go back there for a year starting in 2014. Can't wait!

EDIT: would also love to check out some hockey while I'm over there =)

• 2 weeks later...

Fife Flyers have got off to a good start winning 5 out of their first 6 games, losing out in a 7 goal thriller to Coventry.

1/9/2012 - Autumn Cup

Fife Flyers

Edinburgh Capitals

8:00pm

2-1 W

2/9/2012 - Autumn Cup

Braehead Clan

Fife Flyers

8:00pm

3-7 W

71: Jason Pitton

8/9/2012 - CC

Fife Flyers

Edinburgh Capitals

7:15pm

2-0 W

31: Bryan Pitton

9/9/2012 - League

Coventry Blaze

Fife Flyers

5:15pm

4-3 L

15/9/2012 - League/CC

Fife Flyers

Braehead Clan

7:15pm

5-1 W

6: Casey Haines

16/9/2012 - CC

Edinburgh Capitals

Fife Flyers

6:00pm

2-4 W

Here is an interesting interview with Flyers youngest player, 21 year old Josh Scoon. Fitting in pro hockey with his University studies can't be easy but it says a lot for the lad's dedication.

I like the way he describes his philosophy on fighting :) looks can be deceptive, he may look like a choir boy but he knows how to get stuck in

The new Flyers kit............it seems to have brought them a change in form but I must say I'm not liking the away jersey ........too much "tartan" in it. Tartan belongs on a kilt or a scarf for me but I suppose being a Scottish team having it's 75th anniversary made the tartan theme appropriate. ????? right :)

Another win for Flyers as they put Dundee away with a 5-2 victory.

A difficult game caused by the 1hr delay to the start due to non appearance of the Doctor...........Yes we have to employ an outside Doctor as we can't afford to have medical staff on the payroll. This is general throughout this League though. The rules prevent the game starting without a qualified Doctor in attendance.

Our next game to-night will be more indicative of where we stand as it will be a rematch with Coventry, the only team to have beaten us so far this season.

It should be said that Flyers certainly seem to have struck it lucky with their Canadian boys this year. They are sharp and a lot more physical than the lads we had last year (who nevertheless were all good players for us, I have to add) That combining with how well the local lads have developed seems to have made a difference to our results.

This should make things interesting.

Rumour is that other top EIHL teams like Sheffield and Belfast will follow suit. There is no way the Flyers could come anywhere near affording an NHL or even an AHL player on loan though. Flyers have always thrived on team spirit and a hostile home crowd environment more than "star players"

Nevertheless this guy is a monster and I wonder how he will cope with the bigger playing surface. He may come back to the NHL with less skill but greater fitness ..........who knows.

From the BBC Sport website.

Nottingham Panthers sign NHL forward Anthony Stewart

Nottingham Panthers have taken advantage of the lock-out in the NHL by signing Carolina Hurricanes forward Anthony Stewart on a short-term deal.

There are currently no matches in the NHL because of a pay dispute between owners and players.

Continue reading the main story

The support from management in bringing this about has been fantastic”

Corey Neilson

Panthers player-coach Corey Neilson said: "I'm genuinely thrilled to see him joining us, for however long.

"The lock-out has opened up some doors to bring in someone of Anthony's character and ability."

Many of the NHL players have decided to stay in North America and play in the American Hockey League, the step below the NHL, while some have decided to find clubs in Europe.

During the last lock-out in 2004-05, numerous NHL players played in the UK's Elite League and the Panthers signed defenceman Nick Boynton, who went on to win the Stanley Cup with Chicago Blackhawks in 2010.

The Panthers also brought in fellow defenceman Ian Moran and forward Steve McKenna and the trio helped Nottingham reach the play-offs in 2005 but lost 2-1 to Coventry in the final.

Neilson added: "The support from management in bringing this about has been fantastic.

"The boss picked up the baton less than 24 hours ago and, with backing from the chairman, here we are making an announcement of this nature. Fantastic."

Not there yet.

Flyers fall 3-1 to last years champions Belfast Giants and proved there is still some way to go before we can beat the best. Big improvement from last year but still a bit to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Fife Flyers put Belfast Giants narrow defeat behind them to beat Sheffield Steelers 4-2.

Here is an interesting view of visiting the Fife Flyers Arena on match night by a Steelers fan..........

Quote: I went last night.

It was a good night of Hockey. The Flyers simply outwitted the Steelers.

I loved the Fife Club.

You could feel the tradition from 2 hours before the game; it was great to be a part of. The rink is an old bump and grind sort of place; the food was reasonably priced and delicious. It was like home made food not the plastic junk we witness at home. The bars were reasonably priced and welcoming. The fans were welcoming - the rink announcer was welcoming; not once did he feel the need to try and belittle the away team - RESPECT!

Earwigging the period break chatter around the rink I heard seasoned, educated Hockey fans with their near perfect analysis of the game so far. (And I understood the accents too) What great fans. I loved the way they jumped on the back of our new guy (NHLer Sestito) - and actually, not since Barry Neikar have I seen a player lap up the banter and seem to enjoy it so much.

When Fife won, their chants for their team reminded me of the prison scene at the end of the film "The Italian Job" where the gangster walks down the steps inside the jail to the unison chorus and banging of tea trays. To a man the Flyers fans chanted the victory of their team in Unison. It was a pleasure to behold - even though we were the losers.

Despite the humiliation on the ice (yes humiliation) it was a good night of Hockey. I'll be back !

Archived