The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any of you guys want to play in Scotland : Flyers the 2nd Season.

Bodee

Flyers in turmoil!

Now Hammy leaves for Carolina. Cohen's injury is lasting longer than it was thought it would and the town is awash with rumours of more departures. Just when things had started to come good we have been dealt a real blow to our progress.

I won't be posting any more until we sort ourselves out.

Flyers are still fighting despite the loss of one of their Brits now. They put on arguably their best performance of the season outshooting the 3rd top team in the League, Sheffield Steelers in a 2-1 home loss.

Interview with Canadian goal tender and cult hero Garrett Zemlak and the Flyers coach.

• 2 weeks later...

Fife Flyers 4 - 3 Braehead Clan

Flyers first win on the road against Braehead Clan (Glasgow) the "millionaire team" had been unbeaten at home so far this season. This result has finally lifted them off the bottom of the League.

An opposition fan's view of his visit to Fife Ice Arena and a match against the Fife Flyers. I thought it might give you an insight as to how others view the Flyers.

Written superbly by "devildan" a fan of the Cardiff Devils Elite Ice Hockey League team.

As you walk into Kirkcaldy Ice Rink you are not quite sure what to expect. The plexiglas only stretches around the end of the boards, the rest is left bare from blue line to blue line. The time keepers box is just an old hockey net that has been turned away from the ice to protect whoever is sat there on a plastic chair. There are no sin bins, players just jump over the boards and sit next to the time keepers net on either side, nothing to stop them getting at each other or the crowds getting at them.

The floor in the stands is made of wood unevenly nailed and the plastic seats (that aren't falling off) send the person sitting in them sliding almost on top of the person in front. It may be sounding like a nightmare but it was far from it, all this just added to the character of the place.

You could see the cracks and the scrapes of history. There is a museum as you enter the building highlighting the memories created in this building with newspaper articles, old jerseys, old trophies and even old pairs of skates from 1936 when the building was first put up.

Sure it couldn't hold a candle up to the facilities of Belfast or Nottingham but it had more life and passion in one brick than can be found in those buildings. There was a great bar for you to visit prior to face off serving food and playing old Flyers videos, a great shop serving all kind of merchandise from bears to hats, pucks to books. This was a real hockey rink and a real hockey community.

As face off loomed and the home town fans came in they turned up and stacked the blocks regardless of the fact their team were sat tenth in the league and out of all cup competitions, the fact that it was hockey had them turning up and lining the boards. The lack of plexi added to the atmosphere you could literally shout at someone on the ice and watch their facial features as they tried not to react.

Previously I have talked about how Dundee could become a fortress with a little bit of work and passion, well if they ever needed an example it sits a short drive down the road.

It's easy to pick up on the problems with this Fife team, the short bench they have been riding most of the season and how the owners of the team obviously really underestimated the league they were joining but that has been covered and discussed to death and back. This rink and its fan base is one huge tick in the positive column and a team I am glad we have in the Elite League and had the pleasure of visiting.

What happens on the ice happens, once we get to April this team is in the history books and it is all about the next year, tenth place can be forgotten by the fan base and with a correct outlook on the new season and the right pen on paper I think Fife will be the number one place teams will hate to visit.

The singing and the chanting of the home and away sides was off the charts this night, anyone would of thought it was a playoff final! Both teams were taken back with the atmosphere it was really something to behold. Nothing happened on the ice that wasn't sung about and no one could make a play without the sixth man in the crowd getting on their back about it.

This is how hockey should be, stripped back to its roots, in a battered history filled building full of life and electricity. We don't follow this game to see who can hire the most imports or which team's players have played the most games in the top leagues, we follow it for nights like these.

Two passionate teams and fan bases going head to head and giving everything they have for sixty minutes. More memories and more history were created in a building that already had it spilling out the sides. If you ever get the chance visit the Flyers do so, from beginning to end it was one of the best hockey nights I have ever attended.

Taken from:

http://www.behindthenet.co.uk/

Fife Flyers 3-2 Coventry Blaze

Flyers win SO with Garrett Zemlak saving all three shots and Flyers Kadric nets winner.

The Sky TV camera were at the Old Barn to catch the Flyer's second win on the trot. They came from 2 goals down to peg Coventry back with 2 goals in the 3rd period to take the game into OT and the deciding shootout.

An opposition fan's view of his visit to Fife Ice Arena and a match against the Fife Flyers. I thought it might give you an insight as to how others view the Flyers.

Written superbly by "devildan" a fan of the Cardiff Devils Elite Ice Hockey League team.

As you walk into Kirkcaldy Ice Rink you are not quite sure what to expect. The plexiglas only stretches around the end of the boards, the rest is left bare from blue line to blue line. The time keepers box is just an old hockey net that has been turned away from the ice to protect whoever is sat there on a plastic chair. There are no sin bins, players just jump over the boards and sit next to the time keepers net on either side, nothing to stop them getting at each other or the crowds getting at them.

The floor in the stands is made of wood unevenly nailed and the plastic seats (that aren't falling off) send the person sitting in them sliding almost on top of the person in front. It may be sounding like a nightmare but it was far from it, all this just added to the character of the place.

You could see the cracks and the scrapes of history. There is a museum as you enter the building highlighting the memories created in this building with newspaper articles, old jerseys, old trophies and even old pairs of skates from 1936 when the building was first put up.

Sure it couldn't hold a candle up to the facilities of Belfast or Nottingham but it had more life and passion in one brick than can be found in those buildings. There was a great bar for you to visit prior to face off serving food and playing old Flyers videos, a great shop serving all kind of merchandise from bears to hats, pucks to books. This was a real hockey rink and a real hockey community.

As face off loomed and the home town fans came in they turned up and stacked the blocks regardless of the fact their team were sat tenth in the league and out of all cup competitions, the fact that it was hockey had them turning up and lining the boards. The lack of plexi added to the atmosphere you could literally shout at someone on the ice and watch their facial features as they tried not to react.

Previously I have talked about how Dundee could become a fortress with a little bit of work and passion, well if they ever needed an example it sits a short drive down the road.

It's easy to pick up on the problems with this Fife team, the short bench they have been riding most of the season and how the owners of the team obviously really underestimated the league they were joining but that has been covered and discussed to death and back. This rink and its fan base is one huge tick in the positive column and a team I am glad we have in the Elite League and had the pleasure of visiting.

What happens on the ice happens, once we get to April this team is in the history books and it is all about the next year, tenth place can be forgotten by the fan base and with a correct outlook on the new season and the right pen on paper I think Fife will be the number one place teams will hate to visit.

The singing and the chanting of the home and away sides was off the charts this night, anyone would of thought it was a playoff final! Both teams were taken back with the atmosphere it was really something to behold. Nothing happened on the ice that wasn't sung about and no one could make a play without the sixth man in the crowd getting on their back about it.

This is how hockey should be, stripped back to its roots, in a battered history filled building full of life and electricity. We don't follow this game to see who can hire the most imports or which team's players have played the most games in the top leagues, we follow it for nights like these.

Two passionate teams and fan bases going head to head and giving everything they have for sixty minutes. More memories and more history were created in a building that already had it spilling out the sides. If you ever get the chance visit the Flyers do so, from beginning to end it was one of the best hockey nights I have ever attended.

Taken from:

http://www.behindthenet.co.uk/

The thing is the hardcore Flyers fans don't want to change it. They love the atmosphere and the history. They have seen what other financially strapped teams have come up with and they don't like them. Boxy industrial farmyard barns with not a vestige of soul.

I don't think the players mind as the ice is considered to be one of the best and the dressing rooms have been upgraded recently. (although I have not seen them myself )

I made a similar comment to yourself at the start of the season, as I hadn't been there for about 10 years.............and I got slaughtered by the regulars.

I would agree however with the Cardiff fan that the atmosphere when packed is better than most of the other arenas...........fortress like and responsible for much of the Club's success over the decades.

At the moment though the most pressing thing is to get a competitive team on the ice, which with injuries and departures is not proving to be easily attainable.

From Dundee.

Dundee 1-4 Fife Flyers.

Fife Flyers took a big support up to Dundee and were rewarded with a 4-1 win. Matt Cohen the USA D was back after concussion and chipped in with a goal. MoM went to Garrett Zemlack the young Canadian goalie.

Flyers off the bottom for the first time this season.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A New Season approaches and Fife Flyers are signing again so if you missed out on the drama last season here is a chance to get your application in for this season...........

This is FIFE FLYERS 75TH ANNIVERSARY! ..............the oldest and arguably,most famous hockey team in the UK.

Let's not guild the lilly here, last season did not go well for the Flyers as anyone who has read the above will know, a poor season on the ice ended tragically off the ice for all connected with the Club when the Coach Todd Dutiaume lost his wife and unborn twins.

The Flyers do have excuses for last season. They were accepted late and they were even later in making up their roster. They chose to go in "light" on imports and although the lads from across the pond who joined were all exceptional (in UK Elite League terms) they were too few and had to bear a heavy load due to injuries and the local boys being "off the pace"

These young local lads came on in leaps and bounds and are now more up to the task and battle hardened.

There were a few good highlights, the best of which was our Canadian net minder Garrett Zemlak, winning the Elite League Player of the Year. An accolade where the fans of ALL the clubs vote for the player who in their mind was the most outstanding performer. A Flyer's Legend in only one season.

Off course we would like him back but he was obviously made for a higher standard than the Elite League in the opinion of many and while he may not yet achieve his ambition of playing in the NHL I'm positive that many an AHL team could do worse than give him a chance.

Matt Siddall emerged as a star for us and went on to be a star in Zagreb where the crowds are on a par with the AHL and occasionally the NHL.

Mike Hamilton earned a spot with an AHL team somewhere in the southern states. They saw the Flyers as a stepping stone to bigger things and good luck to them, they left with the warmest thanks for their efforts on Flyer's behalf.

Anyway, there you have it, if you think (after reading the above) you fancy a European adventure to the home of golf (and British Ice Hockey) and you have the grit, size and skill to perform in a tough league, why not get in touch or get your agent to contact Todd or Danny Stewart at Fife Flyers.

It should be another roller coaster ride, an adventure and a great experience.

• 2 weeks later...

First Canadian signed.

Fife Flyers have announced the signing of 27 years old Canadian defenceman, Jeff Caister for the new 2012/13 Elite League ice hockey season.

The 6ft 2ins player was born in Mississauga, Ontario and was named in the NCAA All Star team in season 2007/08 when he played with Wayne State University.

This is so neat.

Always love seeing hockey growing in other countries.

Thanks for sharing. Now I have a team to cheer for in the UK. Next time I'm in the UK again I'll definitely check out a game.

Archived