The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Windows 8 launches tonight

-Goose-

Haha very true. I'm speaking from a convenience point of view though. If you go on vacation you don't have to pack several books, you no longer have to worry about storing massive amounts of books in your house. That kind of stuff.

There is however something to be said for a good old paperback novel.

I totally agree. Tablets are large smartphones that lack the ability to make calls. I find them terribly inconvenient. The only thing I would truly use them for is electronic books, but then I could just get a kobo for a fraction of the price.

If I am on vacation odds are I will be drunk fairly frequently and wouldn't do any reading to start with and would certainly loose/destroy/get sick of carrying around that screen.

My whole dislike of the portable screens is that they would be extremely inconvienient.

As for storing them at home well bookshelves go just about anwhere and are more a fill in the gaps type thing than actual furntiture you need to find a place for. Walls of books are quite inviting and conforting IMO. (Much like pantries full of preserved food do the same.)

Granted I havn't looked much into Windows 8, so you could very well be correct. From what I've seen in screenshots, it looks similar to a Windows phone, but I am interested to see what they have added to bridge the gap between current tablets and computers.

Windows 8 is an operating system for both tablets and PCs. They've made it possible for a fully fledged operating system to run on a tablet. The Start screen (the tiles) is tailored for tablets, but works with both tablets and PCs.

The thinking behind the tiles is that small icons are just small. How often have you tried on iOS to trying to identify an app visually and then having to read the icon name under?

The tiles are big icons with big text/pictures on it, making it very easy to identify what you're looking for. (But it seems like you don't feel this way, but that was Microsoft's intent)

What if I have 50-100 icons? I usually set my icons to tiny let alone having them involentarily made ten times bigger.

When will microsoft stop ****ing with the the ****ing interface and, oh, I don't know, make FUNCTIONAL programs!!!!!!! :frantic:

Windows 8 is an operating system for both tablets and PCs. They've made it possible for a fully fledged operating system to run on a tablet. The Start screen (the tiles) is tailored for tablets, but works with both tablets and PCs.

The thinking behind the tiles is that small icons are just small. How often have you tried on iOS to trying to identify an app visually and then having to read the icon name under?

The tiles are big icons with big text/pictures on it, making it very easy to identify what you're looking for. (But it seems like you don't feel this way, but that was Microsoft's intent)

The difference in efficiency, safety and reliability between Firefox, IE and chrome is minimal. The only reason IE is attacked more is because it has the largest user base. Particularly casual users who are easily fooled and have minimal security beyond the browser. If the same hackers exploited Firefoxes weak points as attack IE it wouldnt hold up as well.

Im not saying IE is better. I use firefox.  But for 99% of the people out there any one of the big three is fine. More people should be concerned with what antivirus protection they are using and what they are accepting to download then expecting their browser to catch it all.

Archived