The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Level of GOOD Ice in NHL dropping?

Uller34

It has seemed to me especially in the last 4 months that Ice in NHL Rinks has been the poorest in years. I know some of the multi-use buildings push the time for the ice to properly set,but even in an Arena where there should be not excuses, by the 3rd period I've seen better ice in the local rink after midnight. Pucks seem to be made of blubber way they bouce by the 2nd period..and even a small spill a player looks like they taking 5lbs of snow with them when they get up. Players seem to be losing edges all the time and some of the gashes in the ice look like golf divots sometimes? Has they NHL stopped enforcing a certain level of consitancey or are Arena/owners simply letting the buildings get to warm to keep fans comfy?

Don't know the answer, but what should happen is all GM's and owners should have a meeting with the NHL and find out a way to solve this problem. It eliminates many possible scoring chances, leads to players losing an edge, stoppage in play, poor puck bounces, players having to slow down / slowing the game down.

This is a pretty big concern cause if the ice isn't right, the game isn't going to be as well. The NHL and teams need to find a solution to this cause its a pretty nasty factor in games now a days.

....Btw, great point OP.

The ice in Boston, particularly the ice on the home side for the 1st and 3rd periods, looked shockingly bad during the finals.

For a team that likes to pass a lot, like the Sedins' Canucks, that is a huge disadvantage.

It's yet another part of the screwjob we were handed in that series.

TOML

"But winners prevail."

• 3 weeks later...

Rough ice is part of the game. Only time it REALLY bothers me is if teams like Dallas or Florida make it deep into the playoffs, they tend to get a few afternoon games where it's so hot and humid that the ice is visibly slushy on the TV.

The ice in Boston, particularly the ice on the home side for the 1st and 3rd periods, looked shockingly bad during the finals.

For a team that likes to pass a lot, like the Sedins' Canucks, that is a huge disadvantage.

It's yet another part of the screwjob we were handed in that series.

TOML

"But winners prevail."

I know for the longest time Edmonton had the best ice in the NHL. Manly due to the fact that Rexall is only used for hockey, lacrosse and concerts.

Not too sure if it still is the best though... But comparing ice between Edmonton and New York for example, I could see why, as a hockey player, you don't want to share an arena with a NBA team.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived