The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Kind Of Leadership And Inspiration We Really Need

Socrates

It is no secret that the Canucks and the Hawks hate eachother. But it is also obvious that a lot of very good things have come out of this rivalry - they took us out a couple of times en route to advancing far or winning the cup. We did the same last year and made it to game 7 of SCF.

This is a time when we need some true leadership to emerge. Not sure if anyone paid any attention to Toews when the score was 3-0 Nucks last year:

"A beatable team (i.e. the Canucks) ... We haven't been able to prove that we can be a better team than them on one single night," Toews said. "We've got one more chance to do that. This is our last string of life here."

He continued: "Everyone has to do it. No one is an exception now. Everyone has to bring something out now. If you're a goal scorer, you have to score goals and hit and do everything. If you're a role player, you've got to hit and maybe find a way to score a goal or two as well. Everyone has to bring their best game and be a complete player, not leave anything out there. There's nothing to hold back now."

And boy did they deliver - they destroyed us 7-2 in game 4, then tied the series 3-3 before losing in game 7 in OT - as we all vividly remember.

The similarities continue: Torres' big hit on Seabrook sparked Chicago. Maybe Brown's hit on Henrik will do the same. Bolland returned from a concussion in game 4, maybe Daniel will too.

To those who are tempted to call me for jinxing it, would you grow up please. What we need is true leadership, a warrior attitude and self-belief.

I say we have plenty to learn from the Blackhawks in this respect - they have quite a few of leaders on that team. This team has been there and done it.

Watching them this year against the Coyotes - it is the only team in the NHL that gives me a confident feeling when they pull the goalie in the last minute ... they scored twice in a row, they know they can do it and they deliver.

Go Canucks! We can come back in this series.

We just need someone to come out and say what Toews said (publicly or in the locker room). But we need this to come from within, so we know it's for real - not the usual "we like our chances if we stick to the game plan" garbage. This is how a hero could be made. God help us ...

the Canucks don't need someone like Toews to come out and talk sh!t publicly... he went further than those quotes..."expose the Canucks" blah, blah - he didn't do a hell of a lot himself in that comeback bid....

did you watch the last game? Henrik walked the walk and now it is up to his team-mates to follow suit.

the Canucks don't need someone like Toews to come out and talk sh!t publicly... he went further than those quotes..."expose the Canucks" blah, blah - he didn't do a hell of a lot himself in that comeback bid....

did you watch the last game? Henrik walked the walk and now it is up to his team-mates to follow suit.

And that is why I would give my first born to have Toews on this team. The kid is the total package player. He's pure character, skill and passion rolled into one.

On another note, the Canucks aren't out of it yet, although anyone who says it's anything but bleak is crazy.

I will say this, if the Canucks come back to defeat the Kings I truly believe nothing else will be able to stop them from another SCF run and likely a win.

Archived