The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wind Mobile

Thunder Bunnies

Hey guys, in a couple months my phone plan with Fido will end and I was planning to switch to Wind. Has anyone ever tried Wind or are currently with Wind?

How are their reception?

They have better phone selections than Fido, and definitely get more with Wind than Fido with similar prices. Is Wind worth switching too, I'm mainly in Vancouver and plus I mostly use it for texting, and rarely for calling.

You should go to Wind then. I have a couple of friends with Wind and they love it. Their plans are great, and there's no contract involved whatsoever. I'm with Bell and they have the same plan as me, I pay $60/mo. while they only pay $25 or so. I've heard the reception is okay, and if you're mainly staying in urban areas you should be fine, especially since you text mostly.

You should go to Wind then. I have a couple of friends with Wind and they love it. Their plans are great, and there's no contract involved whatsoever. I'm with Bell and they have the same plan as me, I pay $60/mo. while they only pay $25 or so. I've heard the reception is okay, and if you're mainly staying in urban areas you should be fine, especially since you text mostly.

Guest The Brown Burrows

Go to Wind if you're just going to stay in the urban areas.

I prefer Rogers as I'm all over the place but Wind is fine for everything west of Langley City Centre.

We're about to switch from Wind to Rogers but seriously it should depend on how much you travel, where you are, your budget, and what you expect of the service.

There was a topic a while back about Wind, we had it for a while, and the service was crap here in Toronto, the signal would cut off in our foyer, be on and off in the house, and a complete lack of signal in the basement, not an issue with the Big 3, including their discount subsidiaries.

To Wind's credit they've been aggressively adding more towers and getting better urban coverage of late, but my wife and I travel throughout Ontario, BC, and Quebec, having family everywhere, so the Rogers $34 MY10 Canada-wide plan works perfectly for us.

Also, Wind's selection of Phones is FAR less than Fido, add to that, they don't even have a single text phone anymore (I despise touch screens for texting), whereas Fido has an arsenal of them.

Wind also has limited itself to two plans. If you were on an older plan grandfathered in (i.e. not available now) you have hardly any add-on options, they basically squeeze you into their plans.

Rogers has it's problems and isn't the cheapest, but they have reception friggen everywhere, have a decent Canada-wide plan.. it was either that or Fido, plus Rogers has long been known to hire inside of Canada for it's customer service instead of outsourcing/offshoring. In some cases it can be a personal issue for me as to what I think is both best for my wallet and helpful to this country, but service-wide the disparity is clear, as mentioned already in the topic, if you're in an urban area all the time and don't travel, go with Wind, otherwise, some other service.

With Wind you can get a subsidized phone in essence if you pass a credit check and a percent of your monthly payment goes to paying off the subsidy. Technically it's no contract but you wind up paying the full price of the phone if you leave before your tab pays the phone off, which at 5% is at least a year if you buy their highest tier plan, two to three years if you buy lower tier.

One thing I made sure of when switching to Rogers was that they wouldn't sucker me into a contract, and that I buy my phone outright. They still tried to offer me a contract even though I bought my phone outright, but I told them flat out frack no.

I was considering Wind and Mobilicity for when my contract is up, but then discovered that they unfortunately don't support the iPhone. I've had an iPhone for so long now, it would be hard to switch to something else.

They have really great plans, but I've heard mixed reviews about Wind - especially concerning the lack of reception in some areas, dropped calls etc. Hopefully that is something they are working on and trying to resolve. It's nice to have options other than the big 3.

I'm thinking of going to Wind, I've heard their coverage and network has gotten a lot better of the last few months. Right now I see no reason to go with the big 3 if you're in the dense areas of the lower mainland, UNLESS you want an iPhone. Even then Wind offers the Galaxy Nexus which is just as good on the WindTab for $250.

Contracts are not what they used to be. You sign a contract and if you are ever looking to cancel you only have to pay of the subsidy of the phone.

Example:

iPhone 4s:

Reg: $649

3 year: $159

Difference is $490, so if you want to cancel the next day the max you pay is $490.

Anything later is calculated: 490/36 months (3 years) =$13.61 per month.

So if you wanted to cancel after two years: 13.61 * 12 months= $163.32

This definately beats coughing up the cash right away and usually with a contract you open up the possibilities of certain discounts being added based on your loyalty, payment history to help with monthly cost.

I'm thinking of going to Wind, I've heard their coverage and network has gotten a lot better of the last few months. Right now I see no reason to go with the big 3 if you're in the dense areas of the lower mainland, UNLESS you want an iPhone. Even then Wind offers the Galaxy Nexus which is even better on the WindTab for $250.

Archived