The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is It Time To Be Fair To The Sedins.

Bodee

A word here for Burr. I think he is a great player, he was outstanding in last year's run but I don't think it's fair to expect him to fulfil the role I'm talking about. There is no doubts about his bravery but he just doesn't carry the physical presence.

I think it is time to go for Perry or prise Iginla from Calgary. Another player who would thrive with the Sedins and provide the protection and points imo would be David Backes.

This would allow Burr to drop down and operate with Kes and Booth.

A third line of Higgins Manny and Hansen

A bottom line of Lapierre Pahlsson and Kassian.

My questions are could we make this happen and if not with the players suggested then who?

Edit Pahlsson / Manny / Volpatti

Scott Hartnell doesn't figure in the Luongo deal. Philly just signed Bryz for a humongous deal, they are certainly not going to move him in his second season in Philly and they are not going to dedicate 12 million on goal.

Luongo is only ever going to be traded with a team in dire need of a goalie. Top of that list would be Toronto & Tampa Bay. Teams who've had goalies perform spottily are also in the hunt: Anaheim & San Jose(though the latter is extremely unlikely).

As far as Perry's value is, if we stick him with the sedins, especially on the first PP, he will be a consistent 40-45 goal scorer (if not 50) and 90-100 point producer. Next year is his final year of the contract- a strong showing with the Sedins even in early season is garanteed to push his price to atleast 'Sedin-esque' 6.2 million but most likely, to the 7-7.5 million value.

This is why i prefer Kessel with the Sedins: 2 years left in his contract, meaning thats 1 extra year to sign him/trade him.

Also, IMO, Kessel is a good value at 5-6 million long term. The objective is to find a player who can play with the Sedins and IMO, Kessel can be that guy.

It's not JUST the same thing, but your not wrong at all!

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows = 185 lbs each. It does not take a math genius coach too long to find a 225 defender, 215 lb defender and 210 shut down centre. This locks down these guys.

Its not so bad when we have the puck. The Sedin's are marvels of core conditioning to hold off guys 35 lbs heavier on their back & control the puck. But they become useless getting it back. So AV shelters them with offensive only starts in the opponents end.

Ths is a problem, the line is waaay to one dimensional.They need this "guy" just to be functional all over the ice.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm not talking about an enforcer, I'm really meaning someone to "attract" the heat by his physical threat.

At present the opposition defence goes out to intimidate the Sedins (to their credit they take it, however they have little push back) If you put someone up in front of the net who is physically intimidating the opposition would't have time to bother the Sedins, leaving them to work their magic.

The players I am talking about ar a couple of levels above the likes of Chris Neil in that they would have a high scoring threat.

Stewart would be nice, but he was scratched at times by Hitchcock. But like with Raymond, if we got him, would have to be a trade as he's not going to be given up on!

Chris Stewart? 24 years old and an RFA this summer. Might take a lot to get him though.

Archived