The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense = Major Cause of So-called Luongo Breakdowns

Ugli Fruit

I shouldn't have to tell you, but I never said trade Kesler. I am not sure where you got that from. Just simply pointed out his brutal playoff numbers outside of 1 series. You are the one wanting to deal players based on a series.

I didn't call you moronic, I called your attempts. And something was rather screwy because your post showed as DMoney for me. Not sure why. He was trumpeting Lundqvist. So really the post doesn't apply to the matter at hand at all.

Except of course quoting Schneider's record as 1-2-1. That's worse than me saying 1-4.

Edler and Bieksa actually gave the puck away far more than Ballard did in the playoffs. Edler going tape to tape with Kopitar.

Ballard looked more in control than both during the run

In regards to Edler, he was still nominated an All-Star last season and posted top 10 numbers for a d-man. So his value will still be high when considered culmulatively.

It's not his numbers that are concerning, but his tenacity and physicality. They took a vacation during the playoffs. That is fact, no matter what you think.

And calling someone a moron for stating their opinion just belies the fact that you really don't have much else to offer, does it?

No one is blaming Lou for the Loss vs LA, just that Schnieds is now outplaying him, better goalie and cheaper. On the way up vs. on the plateau/way down.

As for the Finals, momentum matters in sports, mental parts are often just as important as physical if not more. Lou has repeatedly broken down and turning point moments in playoff series in the last 3 years. Key moments that impact the psyche of the team and the players in front of him. If you've played competitive hockey you'd understand what the difference belief in your goalie to make a big save makes vs. being worried. If people want to argue that the nucks play different in front of Schnieds vs Lou, look no deeper than that comment.

Players will never say it out loud, they will never not support a guy publicly. But when a goalie repeatedly can't make a save WHEN the team needs it, and instead folds they lose faith in him. He showed it vs. Chicago two years in a row, Boston on and on.

Game four in the SCF was the turning point in the series. It was the defining moment of Lou's career. AV went back with him after his disaster in game three. He had to find a way to keep the team in the game and more importantly just not let in a softy.

The first goal in that game was a breakaway between the five hole. Ok, breakaway, adv shooter so no blame. The next goal and I remember it vividly, was a shot by ryder, a floater from above the left circle because he had no options, a throw at the net play. No screen, not a hard shot, Lou goes down and its in the net. The team deflated, the opposition gained momentum and the rout was on. Series changed.

Game seven, first goal, knuckleball, lucky bounce. Again, turning point moment, needs to keep the team in. The rat Marchand pulls a wrap around that Lou chirped Thomas about. The team sunk. I was there, I could see heads drop on the bench. And it was the first period.

Why? Because:

1. Lou repeated drained/sapped the team from not making saves when he HAD to and often not tough ones.

2. They knew (canucks) the other guy does do that (makes the saves).

Boston knew they had won the cup in the first period, and so did the Canucks and everyone watching. Why? Because on the other side was a guy who just doesn't collapse mentally. He will hold his team in the game. Boston played confident, we played defeated from that moment on.

So you see a erratic goaltender plays in the heads of both your own team and the opposition. Just as a guy who makes the big save does.

Erratic

Own team -worry, play tight, deflates

Opposition- gain momemtum, confidence

Make the big saves

Own Team, confident, gain momemtun

Opposition- get in their heads, frustrations etc (Quick, Thomas, Roy, Hasek, Brodeur)

It is not bias. It is fact.

When comparing the Canucks defenders to other teams I notice ours aren't very mean outside of Bieksa. Other team forwards whack away at our goalies and screen them and aren't punished at all. We need someone physical on our defence to protect our goalies and pound some forwards really hard.

Yes ladies and gentlemen there we have it, the perplexing mystery of the so-called "Luongo breakdowns" has been finally unravelled. Its because the defense has sucked all those times when Luongo seemed to have gotten lit up, nothing more than that. This idea that Luongo might have been responsible for some of the goals that went in all those times has been exposed as completely false.

Archived