The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense - which left-handed defenseman will play on the right side?

Mookie Wilson

I'm a touch sad.

Yesterday I posted that picking up Garrison makes no sense unless we do not re-sign Salo. But seeing as...

And if Garrison improves it will be a good improvement on what we could expect from Salo at this age, and add's speed.

It does leave us a conundrum. We still need a puck rushing D and a big beastly defensive body! This just upgrades Salo.

So we probably will still move a left side D, presumably Ballard. That leaves a spot for K Connauton to break in and provide the speed (and another shot) on the left side. Then fill a right side role by trading Ballard or Lou for another young stud. Not available? Add Souray as a veteran journeyman!

PS Down Unda > Ballard is the same size as Hamhuis and bigger than Bieksa. Tanev? I worry out loud and post semi regularly that people expect more than they should from him. He is 185 lbs after gaining 15 lbs with Gary Roberts last summer. Pretty small for a shut down D. I see Tanev as a fill player, albeit a very good one.

Garrison is big, but not a terribly physical defender. In fact he's been criticized for it. He obviously has strengths that help us, but by no stretch has he demonstrated that he is an intimidating, physical shut down defense man.

See Seabrook, Mitchell, Hamhuis, Jackman, Gill... And add that to our repertoire as well as Garrison.

Hamhuis and Garrison are shutdown guys. Garrison and Alberts have big, beastly, defensive bodies. Edler, Bieksa, Ballard and Tanev are puck-rushing defensemen.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Sauve

Connauton, etc...

Unless Weber becomes available, I think our defense is set.

I'm still not comfortable with Tanev and Ballard. Both are tiny guys who bring next to no offence and aren't exactly solid in their own end. We still need another top-4 defenceman, because defence wins championships and we went the furthest our team has ever gone with 5 bonified top-4 defencemen.

I'm a touch sad.

Yesterday I posted that picking up Garrison makes no sense unless we do not re-sign Salo. But seeing as...

And if Garrison improves it will be a good improvement on what we could expect from Salo at this age, and add's speed.

It does leave us a conundrum. We still need a puck rushing D and a big beastly defensive body! This just upgrades Salo.

So we probably will still move a left side D, presumably Ballard. That leaves a spot for K Connauton to break in and provide the speed (and another shot) on the left side. Then fill a right side role by trading Ballard or Lou for another young stud. Not available? Add Souray as a veteran journeyman!

PS Down Unda > Ballard is the same size as Hamhuis and bigger than Bieksa. Tanev? I worry out loud and post semi regularly that people expect more than they should from him. He is 185 lbs after gaining 15 lbs with Gary Roberts last summer. Pretty small for a shut down D. I see Tanev as a fill player, albeit a very good one.

Archived