The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

18-year-old dies after playing video game for 40 hours straight

Many Age of Empire professionals don't even play professionally last time I checked. A Korean won the first ever Microsoft AOE tournament back in 2000 for 10k. Many of these guys have dominated RTS as a whole and don't play professionally. They get paid for winning tournaments, etc, as have I, but nothing you can support yourself on. Not even close.

Wow. Didn't this happen a few years ago too? And does anybody know why this happened as such? Was it just because he simply wasn't eating/drinking enough for those 40 hours? It just seems so weird how people can actually get so hooked they die from it. It's just a game and now somebodys life is taken because of it.

Wow. Didn't this happen a few years ago too? And does anybody know why this happened as such? Was it just because he simply wasn't eating/drinking enough for those 40 hours? It just seems so weird how people can actually get so hooked they die from it. It's just a game and now somebodys life is taken because of it.

Many Age of Empire professionals don't even play professionally last time I checked. A Korean won the first ever Microsoft AOE tournament back in 2000 for 10k. Many of these guys have dominated RTS as a whole and don't play professionally. They get paid for winning tournaments, etc, as have I, but nothing you can support yourself on. Not even close.

Using Age of Empire is a terrible example. Not many people play that game anymore. At least professionally.

Right now there are at least three major game titles that will rake in a s%*# ton of money.

1. League of Legends

2. Starcraft II

3. Dota 2

Many pro's and some non pro's make their money through stream revenue. They stream themselves playing the game, and thousands and thousands of people watch them play.

http://www.own3d.tv/

http://www.twitch.tv/

The best example is probably TheOddOne (http://www.twitch.tv/tsm_theoddone), who plays League of Legends. Everytime he streams, he instantly attracts over 10k viewers. Now I'm not sure how much Twitch.tv plays, but if he were to stream on Own3d; he'd get $3 for every ad he plays for every 1000 viewers.

So if we do some simple math... He runs three ads before and after a game. A game usually goes for 30-40min. So he runs at least six ads every hour (sometimes 12). So 6x10,000 = 60,000/1000 = $60.00/h. He usually streams for about 12+ hours a day, so that easily brings him to at least $720.00 a day, and that's without team sponsors, and other stuff. Plus, Twitch pays more than Own3d so he probably makes more than $720.00 a day.

Not bad for a Calgary boy :P

Team CLG owner Hotshotgg (http://www.own3d.tv/clgame/live/13574) makes over $1000.00 a day. Something that his ex-drunk teammate (Saintvicious $800.00 a day) confirmed on stream.

Ontario boy :)

Also to prove my point a little more. Riot, League of Legends devs are holding a $1,000,000 grand prize tourny in a couple of months.

I don't follow the Starcraft scene, but I'm sure they make just as much through sponsors. Specifically in Korea.

So to say that you can't make a living off of gaming is completely bogus. People are starting to take gaming incredibly serious. Time are changing :P

Edit: TheOddOne has 21k viewers at the moment.... that's $120.00/h

I'm sad to hear that a such a young man died this way.

But what I'm most surprised at in this thread is that so many people watch other people play video games?

In my day, we'd be fighting each other over who is next in super mario kart, not volunteering to sit out and watch Dean cause he was the best player in the neighbourhood.

I'm sad to hear that a such a young man died this way.

But what I'm most surprised at in this thread is that so many people watch other people play video games?

In my day, we'd be fighting each other over who is next in super mario kart, not volunteering to sit out and watch Dean cause he was the best player in the neighbourhood.

I'm gonna get crucified for this, but whatever.

Assuming external factors such as drugs aren't being applied to this situation.

If your a human being and you cannot obtain the fundamental ingredients to sustain your life, because your "too busy" playing a video game to do so... I'm sorry but you have no chance of making it in this dangerous world.

Archived