The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SSD hard discs

uber_pwnzor

Hey! So I'm planning on buying a new computer, and I was wondering if it'd be worth it to spend some cash on a SSD disc. They've got insane speed (300 mb/s!).

They're real expensive tho, so I'd get a small one, at like 40-60 gb, just to have the OS, maybe Firefox and a few games on it.

If anyone's got a computer with a SSD I'd love to hear if you think it's worth the extra money

Totally worth the cash, but I wouldn't get one that small. 120 GB or more would be better. The more empty space on them the faster they run.

I'd recommend Crucial, OCZ, or Intel (expensive).

NCIX has some Crucial and OCZ ones on sale:

http://www.ncix.ca/p...GY&promoid=1261

http://www.ncix.ca/p...gy&promoid=1261

*edit*

I also forgot to mention, when buying from NCIX, they will price-match anything as long as you can provide a link to the exact same product somewhere else. I've found that Amazon is always a bit cheaper, and NCIX will match the price, no questions asked.

I second the above post, SSD is where you want to go for your non-storage based OS disk, get 100-200GB, that should be fine when you want to add a few games. Performance on an SSD is always best out of the box, degrades when full more than typical spindle drives, but the performance is FAR superior overall. We have three desktops, four laptops, and the superior ones are either the PC's with SSD or the laptops with a hybrid SSD. I use a 60GB for my XP machines.

Prices are dropping quite rapidly on SSDs.

Aim for a Crucial (fastest) or Intel (most reliable).

Not sure why anyone would recommend OCZ... they basically are trying to give them away at such a low price because the failure rate is so high.

Yes! Absolutely you should put your OS on your SSD. It can cut down boot times to a fraction of what they would be if you had your operating system on a regular HDD. 60gb should be enough just for a boot drive and a few games - I personally recommend the Intel 330 series.

Prices are dropping quite rapidly on SSDs.

Aim for a Crucial (fastest) or Intel (most reliable).

Not sure why anyone would recommend OCZ... they basically are trying to give them away at such a low price because the failure rate is so high.

Archived