The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laptop Issues

roster19

My 4 year old HP laptop died so I decided to buy a new laptop. I bought a Dell Inpiron 15r and it was noisy and hot even when idle. It didn't slow down and it ran my games and programs just fine, but compared to my ancient AMD64 HP, the laptop never cooled to a point where the fan could shut up.

Two days ago, I bought an Acer V5-571G, and although I love the sleekness of the unit, it has a similar problem where the fan will be annoyingly loud as soon as it boots to the desktop. But again, performance-wise, nothing is wrong, it's just irritating that the fan is always spinning to a max. I'll probably end up exchanging or returning this one too.

I realize that written descriptions of loudness are subjective, but the idling noise levels of these two laptops were roughly as loud as a laptop fan should be running HD clips on youtube. Not quite as loud as gaming fan noise, but not far off.

The guys at my local futureshop told me to buy an SSD ultrabook for quietness, but I don't think that's necessary given my old HP had a theoretically less efficient processor and a regular harddrive.

My question to CDC is whether laptops these days have fans running louder than a few years ago? Or do you have any recommendations for laptops in the $500-$800 range?

My 4 year old HP laptop died so I decided to buy a new laptop. I bought a Dell Inpiron 15r and it was noisy and hot even when idle. It didn't slow down and it ran my games and programs just fine, but compared to my ancient AMD64 HP, the laptop never cooled to a point where the fan could shut up.

Two days ago, I bought an Acer V5-571G, and although I love the sleekness of the unit, it has a similar problem where the fan will be annoyingly loud as soon as it boots to the desktop. But again, performance-wise, nothing is wrong, it's just irritating that the fan is always spinning to a max. I'll probably end up exchanging or returning this one too.

I realize that written descriptions of loudness are subjective, but the idling noise levels of these two laptops were roughly as loud as a laptop fan should be running HD clips on youtube. Not quite as loud as gaming fan noise, but not far off.

The guys at my local futureshop told me to buy an SSD ultrabook for quietness, but I don't think that's necessary given my old HP had a theoretically less efficient processor and a regular harddrive.

My question to CDC is whether laptops these days have fans running louder than a few years ago? Or do you have any recommendations for laptops in the $500-$800 range?

Archived