The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Video Cards?

diesel_3

Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade my prehistoric GeForce GTX 285 after the holidays for something newer. I am not very savvy when it comes to specs but I just want to get a solid card that won't break the bank.

I play Battlefield 3 and Counter Strike: GO, Looking for a card that can easily handle these games.

Also, any info/tips on buying a new motherboard?

Thanks!

If you can wait until January there are some new AMD Radeons that are coming out, and if rumors about them are true then they're going to absolutely destroy anything you can buy right now in terms of price/performance ratio. If the upgrade bug is really chewing away at you then I'd recommend an Nvidia 660 ti. You can find them under $300, so well well within your budget, and they can play any modern game with everything maxed no problem, even up to 2560x1440 resolution. There's no point in getting anything more expensive unless you have a 1600p screen or are going the triple-screen route. You can use the money saved on a nice bottle of scotch so you can celebrate your new card with yourself.

Also a quick sidenote: I'd avoid any current gen AMD Radeon cards, they have a nasty stuttering issue that can be aggravating. Although I've heard at 1080p you can't really notice it, just at higher resolutions. More on it here:

http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited

I have a Gigabyte GTX 670. They can be had within your pricerange and will handle most anything. I only run one screen at 1080 so I use the absolute maximum settings for any given game and it runs flawlessly. I don't know anything about this new AMD release in January, though. That might be a better choice if they are as good as they sound.

Archived