The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How threatening are the new signings (Barker, Vandermeer) to the 3rd pairing incumbents (Ballard, Tanev)?

Phil_314

Vandemeer should make the team. All do respect to Tanev, I'd rather have a veteran defence going into the playoffs with Ballard and Vandemeer on our bottom pairing than Tanev, purely because of experience and toughness. Heck, even Barker over Ballard due to size, and Alberts getting in there would be nice too.

This defence was roughed up by huge forwards in the Boston series and LA series which is why we were bounced. Our defence were pounded every shift until they buckled, made pressure mistakes and cost us great scoring opportunities against our goalies.

Just being big, not necessarily physical, means guys like Barker can withstand a physical forecheck and not turn pucks over if he gets hit by a big guy like Kopitar or Lucic as opposed to smaller defencemen like Bieksa, Ballard and Tanev who were physically broken down as a series went on.

For the regular season:

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

For the playoffs (if all healthy):

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Vandemeer - Barker

Alberts

In case of injuries (for example, an injured Hamhuis and injured Edler):

Bieksa - Garrison

Ballard - Vandemeer

Tanev - Barker

Alberts

Not really; you cant oversimplify things by saying we would go with the mistake free guy. I admit that has value, but;

Sure Tanev probably knows how to play best. But I saw pictures of Tanev over the break. He sure still looks skinny as a rail. I watched him get targetted AND pushed around in the LA series. And it will happen again. As steady as he is, he has no big shot to offer, does not have the speed to break from the pack under pressure, cannot match up physically. So he makes a GREAT 3rd pair guy, because as long as he is not playing against physically gifted top match ups he gives us error free hockey. But he does not, as much as CDC'ers cannot admit, have the goods to step in to a top 4 role. His value is he religiously gets to pucks first against bottom match ups and sends it up ice and thats enough for a roster spot (combined with his ELC).

Hockey is a physical game, and Ballard is 20 lbs heavier, significantly faster and has more skills. He also blocks shots and fights. Yeah, he needs a steady partner as he takes risks. He can also make plays against more physical guys. The job is Ballards to lose and probably would be paired with Tanev.

Barker is essentially a similar player to Ballard; perhaps a tad slower, but bigger and certainly the most skilled offensively. He also needs a steady partner. He could steal a job as captain of the 2knd PP? Or he could outperform Ballard and send him off packing in a trade. My opinion is he is here to give us that option?

Barker and Ballard are also there to compete for Top 4 roles if Edler or Hamhuis is injured. And they will stay in the lineup because they also have skills to offer; unless (again) Barker plays so well Ballard is expendable.

Vandy and Alberts will compete for who gets the 8th roster spot and who is in Chicago IMO. I'm cheering for Vandy!

We have seen strong statements about various players being better than the others.

However, on the numbers (which I admit are not the whole story), Tanev is better than the others when you adjust for age. Unlike the others, Tanev is still improving rapidly. In the AHL this year (playing against a lot of NHL players during the lockout) he continued to be excellent defensively and was doing better offensively. And he is bigger (i.e. heavier) and stronger than last year. His advantage over Ballard is that Ballard is mistake-prone, whereas Tanev rarely makes a mistake.

Tanev would be worth far more in a trade than any of the others.

The downside of Tanev is that he does not play a physical game.

Vandermeer is available to add energy and muscle when needed. He will not threaten Tanev for a regular spot.

Barker is a project. He may or may not pan out.

And don't forget Alberts.

Someone has to go, of course. The team can carry at most 8 D's on the 23 man roster. My guess is that Ballard gets traded. His cap hit is just way too high given his role on the Canucks. He could play top 4 on some teams, however.

Archived