The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

nuckin_futz

The way to earn the respect of people isn't by caging them. The Judge is proving he does not deserve respect. The sheer scope of the hypocrisy here boggles the imagination. Imagine the outrage if a man did this to his wife, claiming that he was entirely justified because she wasn't being respectful of him. Respect is an involuntary response to virtue. It is something that can only be commanded or faked at great cost to the mental health of both parties involved.

The way to earn the respect of people isn't by caging them. The Judge is proving he does not deserve respect. The sheer scope of the hypocrisy here boggles the imagination. Imagine the outrage if a man did this to his wife, claiming that he was entirely justified because she wasn't being respectful of him. Respect is an involuntary response to virtue. It is something that can only be commanded or faked at great cost to the mental health of both parties involved.

And Ms. Soto clearly demonstrated she deserved no respect, either.

The issue is not about if a man did this to his wife. it's about a snotty, mouthy, disrespectful young woman who broke the law and was in court for her bail hearing. Apples and orangutans.

Given the same circumstances and being the judge sitting on the bench with the tools of the court at hand, I would have sentenced her for contempt of court. The lesson was served, the expected outcome accomplished and Ms. Soto is no longer in a cell for contempt of court and has a little more knowledge about acceptable behavior in a court of law. And if that makes me a 'sociopath' as you have described the judge in the case.......then you need to reassess your definition of 'sociopath'.

Sociopath: A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

I'd be a tad careful about throwing that term around so loosely and incorrectly, if I were you.

Throwing somebody in a cage is about as extreme an antisocial behavior there is. If my goal is to get somebody to respect me, using the "tools" of fear, intimidation, kidnapping and caging are the exact opposite of the approach I would take. The best way to earn respect is to model it. Punishing someone and treating them a hundred times worse than they have treated you is only going to exacerbate whatever pathology it is that makes them not trust or respect you in the first place.

There are definitely things about the system that are broken and imperfect, this judge is not one of them. In fact, in a society with a large number of self-entitled young people, he actually has the balls to make people accountable for their own behavior. Imagine that......what a 'sociopath'.

Your posts appear to display some sort of utopian paradise you'd prefer to live in. Wouldn't we all? But this is not reality. Blaming everything on 'the Boomers' as you sit behind your keyboard isn't really doing a whole lot to fix or change the 'system' is it? I understand some folks need someone to blame and you are surely not the first, nor will you be the last, to do so.

When you become the generation of tomorrow's 'Boomers', you will no doubt be assigned all the blame for everything that is wrong in the world or with the 'system' at that particular time. And by the time you reach this venerable 'Boomer' age, you will have acquired a tonne more knowledge about the actual realities of the world and how it works. Good luck with being assigned and accepting your 'responsibility' for all that will be wrong with the world when the next couple of generations turn the generalization of responsibility your way. :)

There are definitely things about the system that are broken and imperfect, this judge is not one of them. In fact, in a society with a large number of self-entitled young people, he actually has the balls to make people accountable for their own behavior. Imagine that......what a 'sociopath'.

Your posts appear to display some sort of utopian paradise you'd prefer to live in. Wouldn't we all? But this is not reality. Blaming everything on 'the Boomers' as you sit behind your keyboard isn't really doing a whole lot to fix or change the 'system' is it? I understand some folks need someone to blame and you are surely not the first, nor will you be the last, to do so.

When you become the generation of tomorrow's 'Boomers', you will no doubt be assigned all the blame for everything that is wrong in the world or with the 'system' at that particular time. And by the time you reach this venerable 'Boomer' age, you will have acquired a tonne more knowledge about the actual realities of the world and how it works. Good luck with being assigned and accepting your 'responsibility' for all that will be wrong with the world when the next couple of generations turn the generalization of responsibility your way. :)

Why do I feel us spiraling towards the "Zagnut Bar defense"? .. I agree with the judge under the circumstance .. it seems to have brought about the desired effect ..

The US of A has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prisoners, apparently .. that is what happens when you privatize prisons and develop a Prison Industrialized Complex based around a "War on Drugs" ..

I can feel the Great American Society slowly being sucked into a class vortex .. best dig yer bunker deeper ..

The Boomers are thee entitled generation, and have not only failed to lead by example but have done their best to see to it that later generations will live in an ever more institutionized environment, the ultimate punishment whether deserved or not.

Why do I feel us spiraling towards the "Zagnut Bar defense"? .. I agree with the judge under the circumstance .. it seems to have brought about the desired effect ..

The US of A has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prisoners, apparently .. that is what happens when you privatize prisons and develop a Prison Industrialized Complex based around a "War on Drugs" ..

I can feel the Great American Society slowly being sucked into a class vortex .. best dig yer bunker deeper ..

When the American voting public finally wakes up, gets their head out of their collective asses and realize how much money is being expended for this laughably preposterous war on drugs...which really is nothing more than a thinly veiled crusade against the hippie subculture, then maybe they can release all of these nonviolent drug offenders clogging up the jails and prisons and reserve that room for the violent offenders that have perpetrated unconscionable acts against their fellow man and in the process fix the god damn economy.

I'm drawing a blank on how long ago it was...but didn't there use to be some sort of alternate punishment for crimes in America that entailed the defendant serving in the military for however long the sentence was supposed to be originally? You know...say you get caught selling coke on a first time non-violent drug offense...like give them a choice...2 years behind bars, or 2 years in the military...either way they learn some level of discipline and they're pretty likely never to commit that same crime again if they chose the military option, eh?

Archived