The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Penalty Kill vs Power Play Time

TheCanucklehead

Hi - this is my first post but I've been a long-time reader...

There's a lot of talk about how the refs are out to get the Canucks, and while we can debate whether that's true or not, I just wanted to share a few numbers I pulled.

Basically if you look across every regular season and playoff season for the Canucks dating back to the 2006-2007 season, the number of penalty minutes against the Canucks (aka Penalty Kill Minutes) has consistently been greater than the amount of penalty minutes for the Canucks (aka Power Play minutes).

This can easily be demonstrated by taking a PP-PK Time measurement and showing it in two charts (one for regular seasons, one for playoffs).

I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Regular Season Numbers (all negative... PK>PP)

post-103588-0-96710300-1368071722_thumb.

Playoffs (all negative... PK>PP)

post-103588-0-08346200-1368071430_thumb.

PS. Sorry if the charts are tiny... I don't know how to make them big on the forum... :blush::frantic:

post-103588-0-08346200-1368071430_thumb.

post-103588-0-96710300-1368071722_thumb.

First step to reduce the differential ....STFU and stop whining. It also helps if our PK would be as effective as it is during regular season. By the way the players look n talk, it was oh no, penalty, here we go, we're going to get scored upon. defeatist attiude. OP, do us the stat n compare team's PK during regular season vs. this series. let's see if there is anything enlightening in this area.

First step to reduce the differential ....STFU and stop whining. It also helps if our PK would be as effective as it is during regular season. By the way the players look n talk, it was oh no, penalty, here we go, we're going to get scored upon. defeatist attiude. OP, do us the stat n compare team's PK during regular season vs. this series. let's see if there is anything enlightening in this area.

Regular Season

07-08 2nd most penalized team in the league

Below us: Anaheim

08-09 3rd most penalized team in the league

Below us: Anaheim Philadelphia

09-10 5th most penalized team in the league

Below us: St Louis Anaheim Philadelphia Tampa Bay

10-11 18th most penalized team in the league

Bottom 5: Anaheim St. Louis Edmonton Pittsburgh Islanders

11-12 6th most penalized team in the league

Below us: Rangers St.Louis Boston Ottawa Philadelphia

12-13 7th most penalized team in the league

Below us: Dallas Buffalo Montreal Ottawa Philidelphia Toronto

Vancouver is consistently one of the most penalized teams in the NHL along with the Flyers and Anaheim was trending but has let off in the recent years.

Why don't you do the stat? It's a simple lookup on NHL.com, but I'm betting you already know the answer and are trying to sound smart.

How about you do some research and find out if we had more penalties against on average per game in this series or if we had more penalties on average per game during the regular season?

Guess I don't look that smart after all. OK at your request:

Canucks Penalty Minutes:

Regular Season - Ranked 7 in terms of most at 12.7 mins/game.

Playoff - Ranked 5th in terms of most at 16.5 mins/game.

So that is roughly 2 minor penalties more per game more.

Canucks PK%

Regular Season - ranked 8th out of 30 at 84%

Playoffs - 15th out of 16th at 70.8%

Anything enlightening? In short, penalty minutes went up on avg per game. PK% went down.

Kind of my point. When we get into playoff mode ... we suck at PK%. Well, we suck at a lot of areas but this is glaring.

Hard to argue with stats. And all those who say "stop whining", when you get bullied, do you accept it as a normal life style that you're getting bullied? or do you try to fix it?

The Canucks organization and fans are one of the top revenue contributes to the league. Makes absolutely zero business sense (cuz it's all about business with NHL) to treat us this way... unless they know they can get away with it. So let's show them that they can't.

I personally will not spend another dime on any NHL related activity until I see some clear change of direction here. I'm only one person so who cares... but if enough people start having this attitude, and the Canucks organization can make NHL realize this point, then maybe things will be more fair.

Archived