The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis will not make change

canuckbeliever

I know everyone seems to be caught up in the hooray surrounding the Mike Gillis PC. One of the key points that Gillis made was that it was time to reset. Essentially by stating this he implied massive changes would occur. However, in my opinion changes will not occur. Now obviously, I cannot predict the future with certainty but something interesting was mentioned during the PC . Gillis stated that the last time he “reset” the was apparently in 2008. However, by examining the alleged 2008 reset it is easy to see why I am very pessimistic about any sort of major overhaul to the organization.

He retained the same core of players left by the Nonis regime (the twins, Luongo, Bieksa, Mitchell) while making 1 small change which was letting Markus Naslund go. He then went on to sign Pavol Demitra to a two year deal and Mats Sundin to a yr deal while acquiring Steve Bernier. Essentially, these were minor moves which didn’t change the outlook of the team. Interestingly, everyone of these moves failed miserably. Sundin played half a season then retired while Demitra was marred by injuries both seasons and Bernier did not amounted to a fringe third line or fourth line player. This was a far cry from the ideal winger with the Twins which Gillis had imagined Bernier would be.

The one obvious change Gillis could have made to slightly reset the organization (firing Ron Delorme) was not even looked at and five years later our scouting staff still sucks. Not so coincidentally, Delorme is still the chief scout.

If Gillis qualifies the moves he made in 2008 as a reset then we should expect small roster moves at best. The only major change I see coming is the firing of Vigneault but even that isn’t a definite possibility. However, as always I am sure Gillis will find a way to spin his moves.

He gave mixed messages. On the one hand he talks about big changes but he also said he wants to supplement the core. I think he does realize the team needs to get younger, but the problem is this team doesn't have the prospects to make a big enough impact.

I also don't expect big moves in the roster.

I know everyone seems to be caught up in the hooray surrounding the Mike Gillis PC. One of the key points that Gillis made was that it was time to reset. Essentially by stating this he implied massive changes would occur. However, in my opinion changes will not occur. Now obviously, I cannot predict the future with certainty but something interesting was mentioned during the PC . Gillis stated that the last time he “reset” the was apparently in 2008. However, by examining the alleged 2008 reset it is easy to see why I am very pessimistic about any sort of major overhaul to the organization.

He retained the same core of players left by the Nonis regime (the twins, Luongo, Bieksa, Mitchell) while making 1 small change which was letting Markus Naslund go. He then went on to sign Pavol Demitra to a two year deal and Mats Sundin to a yr deal while acquiring Steve Bernier. Essentially, these were minor moves which didn’t change the outlook of the team. Interestingly, everyone of these moves failed miserably. Sundin played half a season then retired while Demitra was marred by injuries both seasons and Bernier did not amounted to a fringe third line or fourth line player. This was a far cry from the ideal winger with the Twins which Gillis had imagined Bernier would be.

The one obvious change Gillis could have made to slightly rest the organization (firing Ron Delorme) was not even looked at and five years later our scouting staff still sucks. Not so coincidentally, Delorme is still the chief scout.

If Gillis quantifies the moves he made in 2008 as a reset then we should expect small roster moves at best. The only major change I see coming is the firing of Vigneault but even that isn’t a definite possibility. However, as always I am sure Gillis will find a way to spin his moves.

He gave mixed messages. On the one hand he talks about big changes but he also said he wants to supplement the core. I think he does realize the team needs to get younger, but the problem is this team doesn't have the prospects to make a big enough impact.

I also don't expect big moves in the roster.

Gilis was caught in limbo by continuing with this team's speed and skill theme, and trying to get tough to keep up with how the league is calling things now. He said how it's clearly not a one off, and that's how things are called now. He is a proactive owner and I still have faith in him. Just not so much his coach anymore.

I wanna give this core another chance with a new coach.

Or trade them, whatever happens happens.

Archived