The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

TRADE WARS! c2x vs Nail

On The Table:

To CBJ: Evgeni Malkin, Derrick Pouliot

To PIT: Ryan Johansen, Ryan Murray, Kerby Rychel OR Alex Wennberg, 2014 2nd Round Pick

Moving that many top prospects, even for Evgeni Malkin, is a very steep price. Would counter this, but it appears that Columbus has less cap space than I had thought. I'm open to more ideas on this, but I will have to look into it more to make sure the cap numbers line up. Let me know if you have any other ideas in this area.

Offer:

To NYI: Alexander Edler, Brendan Gaunce

To VAN: Ryan Strome, Griffin Reinhart, Matt Donovan, NYI 2nd Round Pick

Revisiting Edler to the Isles with a different scenario. In this deal, the Isles hold on to Travis Hamonic while adding an Olympic caliber defenceman like Alexander Edler, which is an obvious boon for the Isles, who add an impact roster player without moving anyone from their active roster. They do move coveted prospect Ryan Strome in the deal, but add Brendan Gaunce to offset the loss in that area. In return, the Canucks get younger on their blue line, bringing in Griffin Reinhart and Matt Donovan, who might be able to push for spots soon, fitting the youth oriented shift in philosophy by Canucks management. The Canucks upgrade on their center depth in swapping Gaunce for Ryan Strome. Adding a top end young prospect like Ryan Strome in a position of need, the Canucks might be able to shore up a few holes in the lineup while alleviating their cap issues by moving Edler. The Isles get the more immediate help and the Canucks get some future assets as well as cap relief and some young talent to push for roster spots.

Geez I forgot about this :lol:

I'll reply to this right now

On The Table:

To NYI: Alexander Edler, Brendan Gaunce

To VAN: Ryan Strome, Griffin Reinhart, Matt Donovan, NYI 2nd Round Pick

I believe that this would be an overpayment for the Islanders side. An inconsistent defenceman with back problems for 2 top prospects? I would be fine giving up one in a deal for Edler but two is too much. Getting back Gaunce helps, but doesn't offset losing two future stars. I would be willing to offer up Reinhart and Donovan, but not Strome.

Counter Offer:

To NYI: Alexander Edler, Alex Friesen

To VAN: Griffin Reinhart, Matt Donovan, Kyle Burroughs

In this counter offer, NYI gets the immediate help, acquiring Alexander Edler. They also acquire a prospect that may have the skills to develop into a 3rd or 4th line center. Vancouver acquires two BC boys in Reinhart and Burrows, and Donovan is a sweetner to get this deal to go through.

FAIR WARNING:

I keep hearing about the potential for the NHL to expand to 32 years as early as 2014-15. I reeeeeaaaaallly doubt that.

BUT!

In the unlikely event that it does happen, we will be expanding to 32 teams as well and I imagine that an expansion draft will take place. We will hold an expansion draft that mirrors the NHL's.

FAIR WARNING:

I keep hearing about the potential for the NHL to expand to 32 years as early as 2014-15. I reeeeeaaaaallly doubt that.

BUT!

In the unlikely event that it does happen, we will be expanding to 32 teams as well and I imagine that an expansion draft will take place. We will hold an expansion draft that mirrors the NHL's.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FAIR WARNING:

BUT!

What would the rules be regarding player protection? Same as the NHL I'm assuming... Which means we get to keep all our prospects on ELC's without protecting them right?

FAIR WARNING:

BUT!

Oh, it's going to happen. Definitely.

Hasn't everyone else been approaching this offseason with that expectation too? :bigblush:

We've got teams losing money? Lets expand and lose some more money!!

It'll help not hurt the league average.

There will be increased revenue sharing and there will also likely be a relocation of a couple of teams in the next few years as well. Consider it similar to hedging a bet, NHL style. Expansion will also moderate the Cap growth by spreading the value of the top earners over the bottom tier.

I'd be more concerned about the watering down of talent, which I am.

It'll help not hurt the league average.

There will be increased revenue sharing and there will also likely be a relocation of a couple of teams in the next few years as well. Consider it similar to hedging a bet, NHL style. Expansion will also moderate the Cap growth by spreading the value of the top earners over the bottom tier.

I'd be more concerned about the watering down of talent, which I am.

If they really want to help the league they move Florida to Quebec and Phoenix to Seattle. Not that difficult but Gary is too Stubborn.

If they really want to help the league they move Florida to Quebec and Phoenix to Seattle. Not that difficult but Gary is too Stubborn.

True but the current divisonal format would benefit from equal teams per divison. So either expand to 32 or drop to 28 (no gonna happen)

True but the current divisonal format would benefit from equal teams per divison. So either expand to 32 or drop to 28 (no gonna happen)

Yup good point.

C2X, can we not have a vote on this if it happens? Why would we have to do it?

I don't know about watered down talent. two more teams would be 46 players. There is already 700 in the NHL and another 4 hundred in the AHL as the 'top dozen prospects' of each team. The theory among some players is that there is more than enough talent and not enough teams. There simply can not be JUST 700 people out of 400 million north americans that can play hockey well. The ones we consider elite are indeed elite, but beyond that scope of maybe 20 guys, there are thousands that would be just as appealing with the right marketing conditions. Case in point: Derek Roy...third line canuck not much of an impact but that is because he was behind Henrik and Kesler..he moves to a new team and is the number 2 C and will get more marketing share of his teams efforts to promote the players and will have a "bounce back season" and rise to be a fan favorite because of it. It is the same player, just different market conditions. So my theory is that 2 new teams would be awesome and the sooner the better. They poach less than one player each from the current teams on average, and every team has the talent to fill those spots, and with a bit of marketing, the fans will love the new guy.

Archived