The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Kings win 3-2 in OT

Brad Bellick^

One harsh critique I have of Gillis is not trading Schneider for the cup run.

Having a backup for that particular year is probably a good thing, but probably a good time to trade Schnid right after the cup but hey I am just a local hockey fan, and MG's the "reset button" presser

Having a backup for that particular year is probably a good thing, but probably a good time to trade Schnid right after the cup but hey I am just a local hockey fan, and MG's the "reset button" presser

I think we needed to add toughness for that cup run, but then again, who would have known that the league would change the way the game is played.

Another thing that Gillis had to deal with in his term here.

Are people forgetting that he built the team with speed and skill, only to get the rule book turned upside down?

Scrivens shut the door ...luongo did not when it really counted. However luongo would not be under the microscope if the canucks scored another goal. Too many third line guys playing over their heads. Most of the second pp unit are third liners. And hamhuis on the first pp.? Come on. These guys are a hard working team and they are a tough team but... A top 3 dman needs to be moved for a legit top 6 forward. I don't see any way out of it without sucking for a few years and building up the talent pool with draft picks.

You are completely ignoring the crux of my points.

a. Gillis has shown he can sign players - good

b Gillis inherited the core of his team from Burke and Nonis and tinkered to get to the cup. This is a fact. He added some grinders/money ball players in 3 guys no one wanted, good moves but not core game breakers, Torres, no one wanted, Manny no one wanted, Lappy had a repuation, no one wanted. But credit...they worked out again not game breakers. He also allowed all those players to go along with glass which impacted our ability to play a tough game the following two years.

c. His trades have been AWFUL. OTHER than Erhoff which was a cap dump that did FALL in his lap and work out he hasn't made any substantive trades to make this better. In fact, he has weakened this team by trading away our three best young players (when we lacked young talented depth) for projects and maybes.

d. Schnieder, Coho and Grabner and a first rounder are , AS A FACT, WORTH MORE THAN KASSIAN, HORVAT AND BALLARD.

These are HORRIFIC TRADES for a team that lacks offensive talent, youth and is cap compromised.

e. You say he can't go and just move players (or a new gm) because of the NTC's. Well part of being a gm sir, is understanding player worth, and deciding if keeping or moving is worth it. And part of that involves offering a NTC or not. Offering them out like candy is a DECISION. If your DECISIONS THEN CONSTRAIN YOUR FUTURE OPTIONS THIS YOUR FAULT.

f. Signing Lou to a monster deal when you had a great young goalie (and highly touted) was not smart, again it led him to make further bad decisions.

g. you see, this man has made so many bad decisions he has handcuffed himself into a corner, as well as any future gm (much like ferguson did in toronto).

h. for 4 years we have needed a real top 6 winger. he has not accomplished this, and all that has happened is he has handuffed himself. that is his job, saying ah well booth didnt work out, well he paid booth 4.25 and a ntc to work out. so how else are you going to judge him? you ignore his failures and credit his wins?

please think a bit deeper.

he got Samuelsson who played the 2nd line and was good at it he also got Higgins and Lapierre in trades people forget about that

Grabner is no longer on Florida Ballard is no longer on Vancouver both teams screwed that trade up

Schneider was nowhere close to taking over when Luongo signed that deal that point is pointless

Schneider Grabner Coho and a 1st didn't get traded to one team it was 3 separate trades Gillis went for Ballard that didn't pan out whether it was AV or Ballard nobody will know what he could of been Grabner was expendable after Raymond's 25 goal season

Coho rumored personality issues with the team was shipped off for Kassian who is 1 year younger and was fed 1st line minutes when he should of been in the AHL still until he was ready pushed because of the trade

Schneider the trade was made 1 year after trying to move Luongo and again if people actually take their heads out of their asses and look at past goalie trades he got fair value when teams knew one of them had to be moved

Booth wasn't signed by the Canucks genius he was traded for Samuelsson and Sturm guess how well those two are doing i let you look them up on your own while Booth who has been injured with serious injuries throughout his time with the Canucks has shown signs of being that top 6 forward the Canucks need

talk core and facts all you want Gillis got the players and changed the culture that brought this team past the 2nd round Burke and Nonis failed to do this that is a fact both had time to do so and failed both in their last years with the Canucks decided to sign and trade for plugs and failed projects

AV's just the fall guy, he did his best winning games with what he's given. I hated his kitty bar the door style but what can he do? Torts got hired so he can squeeze whatever he can out of the current roster. To me it seems like there's isn't much left.

Scrivens shut the door ...luongo did not when it really counted. However luongo would not be under the microscope if the canucks scored another goal. Too many third line guys playing over their heads. Most of the second pp unit are third liners. And hamhuis on the first pp.? Come on. These guys are a hard working team and they are a tough team but... A top 3 dman needs to be moved for a legit top 6 forward. I don't see any way out of it without sucking for a few years and building up the talent pool with draft picks.

Trade for scrivens, and ovie, problem solvedzz!!

Luongo is not the reason we're losing lately. Our power play percentage is disgraceful and we've had some costly defensive mistakes. We also need to score more goals. At 34, Luongo is not old for a goalie. Look how Martin Brodeur played in his mid to late 30s, same for Patrick Roy. Technically, Lu is playing well.

No he isn't . However, each players half life is different. Luongo is clearly not the same goalie he was 3 years ago. I think the groin injury cost him more than he is willing to admit.

Probably can't confirm all those rumor offers from toronto/edmonton now, but those offers probably more than a 9th overall unproven rookie. I still think he sat on it for too long, and got his bluff called.

your right those are nothing but rumors their is no way to tell what was being offered which is why i go off what the latest young goalies being traded got in trades which the Canucks basically got close to the same not to mention every team knew one of them had to be traded

Another lose and you can see all the negativity sure 1-6 in the home stand looks absolutely brutal but when I hear torts talk about the game and team it always turns my negative thoughts around. But IMO trade edler for top 6 sniper and call up corrado I think it's time we just have no luck at all scoring goals.

I think we needed to add toughness for that cup run, but then again, who would have known that the league would change the way the game is played.

Another thing that Gillis had to deal with in his term here.

Are people forgetting that he built the team with speed and skill, only to get the rule book turned upside down?

Playoffs are always called differently, when they got their asses handed to them by the bruins it wasn't the first time. When they got smashed by the ducks it was exactly the same thing. I don't buy his bull that the rule suddenly changed.

No he isn't . However, each players half life is different. Luongo is clearly not the same goalie he was 3 years ago. I think the groin injury cost him more than he is willing to admit.

What are you seeing in Luongo's play that makes you think he is so much worse than he was?

I see him squaring up properly more often, like Schneider, and his stick handling is miles ahead of when he first got here. I think he is as good as ever, if not better.

Playoffs are always called differently, when they got their asses handed to them by the bruins it wasn't the first time. When they got smashed by the ducks it was exactly the same thing. I don't buy his bull that the rule suddenly changed.

Well I know what I saw, so we can agree to disagree.

Do you remember when half way through the season after the cup run, when they TOTALLY changed how the game was called?

No? Nevermind then.

You are ignoring the crux of our point.

There is no white knight coming to save us.

i can't argue that , mg has made a mess of everything, but it doesn't mean you keep him to allow him to continue to do so. just as toronto's mess needed to be unwound so does this, the guy who put you there isn't the guy to clean it up

i can't argue that , mg has made a mess of everything, but it doesn't mean you keep him to allow him to continue to do so. just as toronto's mess needed to be unwound so does this, the guy who put you there isn't the guy to clean it up

I can't believe you are comparing Gillis to JF Jr. lol

Come on dude.

Well I know what I saw, so we can agree to disagree.

Do you remember when half way through the season after the cup run, when they TOTALLY changed how the game was called?

No? Nevermind then.

Yeah, same rule change applies to everyone. question is why can the likes of ducks, hawks, bruins, sharks, kings, all adapt to it without making any of the aforementioned excuses?

What are you seeing in Luongo's play that makes you think he is so much worse than he was?

I see him squaring up properly more often, like Schneider, and his stick handling is miles ahead of when he first got here. I think he is as good as ever, if not better.

Lou is playing much better hockey, he is giving up fewer rebounds (one of his weaknesses it the past), he is alot more square to shooters making it look easier (less desperation saves). His only real weaknes continues to be post to post from right to left, where still finds his face plants alot...but other than that, he actually has improved.

these people bashing expect a goalie to stop a one timer 4 feet above the crease from richards and kopitar, who are untouched and when the canuck players behind the net turn the puck over lol...clearly they have never played hockey. I did in junior B and i could have beat Lou with those passes, hell a good midget player could, it was no chance on either. by the time he's turning his head in front the puck is already 3/4 of the way to him...its simply impossible to react on those plays. he just needs to have been lucky and have the puck hit him. the only way the puck hits him is if the players are harassed, if you leave richards and kopitar alone with time that close to the net vs. a goalie who isn't ready because there is no way he can be (ie get his head around fast enough), well they score - they are elite players and that's why.

these bashers also forget the huge post to post save he made earlier. the only really terrible goal i've seen him let in during this mess was number 2 vs chicago, he should have had that one.

would it have been nice if he got some puck luck and somehow stopped richards (as no one stops kopitar's shot)...yes

was this his fault no

1-8 on the pp is garbage

scoring less than 1.5 goals a game for the past 7 games is garbage

lou is playing fine and very well. this team needs to find a way to actually score. (thus the reason i am critical of MG since this issue has been here for 4 years, a lack of a top six player who can help in times like now, in the playoffs etc).

same old story for us...

Like I said in the GDT

the only thing more frustrating than watching the canucks is listening to people blame luongo

if the canucks score 1 Luongo gives up 2, if they score 2 he gives up 3. What is so fantastic about that. If the canucks averaged 4 goals a game his GAA would be about 5. What saves his GAA is that the Canucks can't score.

Archived