The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Brass Will Deny This - But They're in Rebuild Mode

Peter Gunn

when burke took over, This team was piss poor, Had one of the lower payrolls, a losing team with empty arenas and a loonie worth around 60 cents to the USD.. This franchise was actually in real danger of relocation. The miracle burke pulled off while being financially handcuffed has never been fully appreciated by younger canuck fans unfortunately

This is incorrect.

Do your homework.

In 1998 the Vancouver Canucks had a payroll of $28,200,000. The average payroll in the NHL was 29,730,833.

Teams with lower Salaries than Vancouver:

New Jersey

New York Islanders

Pittsburgh

Boston

Buffalo

Ottawa

Atlanta

Columbus

Nashville

Calgary

Edmonton

Minnesota

Phoenix

So that puts Vancouver right around the middle of the league in terms of salary.

Burke was nothing special and he could never make a complete team out of nothing. Your revisionist history won't change that no matter how much you argue Sam. This team went through goalie after goalie after goalie until he finally settled (and I do mean settled) on Dan "I can throw a punch better than I can play under presure" Cloutier. Practically gave bure away, Practically gave away Umberger. Lets not even get started on the players he lost because he liked to give draft picks away like they were candy.

Here's a list of good things Burke did. IMO of course.

Got Linden back which was really nice publicity even though he wasn't worth not getting Boyd Gordon for.

Got Salo for Shaefer

Got Morrison

Drafted the Sedins

Drafted Kesler

The best thing about the lockout was that it gave this team a chance to breath after that mad man was asked not to come back.

Nonis did more for this team in 4 years than Burke did in 6. All Burke did was build off the same inept style of team building Quinn had.

Archived