The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bursting into Flames

NuckerGuy

We all know what's going on here so I'm going to get right into it. Gillis(unfortunately) is at a crossroads with this team. He can either trade a core piece (or pieces) for younger players, trade the prospects they DO have for a short term fix/possible run, or he can carry on with his 'plan'. Whatever his plan is, definitely should come to a halt IMO.

A team which is visibly on the decline throughout the roster, other than a handful of players, warrants a trade. Not a short term trade, but a long term trade.

A hopeful possibility is trading a key piece to the team and rebuild/retool on the fly much like the Flyers did. OR management can decide to ride it out and bank on prospects hopefully making the team and stay in limbo much like the Flames for the past 10 years.

I don't believe all the blame should be put on management, though, I believe some of it should be put on the coaching staff. Torts and company may be a great set of coaches, but they can't seem to figure out how to utilize each player and their skill sets. Their time management, line combinations, and match ups of the players are often overlooked. It is not very good.

/End rant.

Personally, I think the problems are spread throughout. In your opinion, where does the problem lie?

PS Gillis should be fired.

Personally, I think the problems are spread throughout. In your opinion, where does the problem lie?

- No identity.

- Coach who won't give this team one.

- Sedin's are expected to be a two man line. (No complimentary players for them)

- Management is too thick to realize this or wants to grind the season out.

- 2/3 of our team is full of players who look good trying hard, but don't have the talent to back it up. Put into roles out outside of their comfort zone etc.

Our team doesn't have enough talent. It's as simple as that. In 2010-2011 we were never mistaken to be the hardest working team but we got by because we could simply out-talent the rest of the league.

Yes, we work hard but hard work can only get you so far. This season, there aren't many games where you could say the Canucks got completely outworked. For the most part, we have been able to match our opponents level of intensity. So what went wrong? We no longer have enough talent to match teams like Anaheim, San Jose or Chicago.

After the loss to Boston, MG decided to sacrifice talent and speed for size and grit. Consequently, we ended up with some random mix of size, grit and talent - oh yeah and we got a whole lot slower. We no longer have the speed or talent to match up with the leagues top teams but we also don't have the size, grit and physicality to wear down the elite teams.

As a result? We are still a top tier team. I'd consider the Canucks a top ten team in the NHL at the moment. We are still a good team, we are just no longer the class of the NHL. I wouldn't say that we are as bad as Calgary was in the past decade, but there is a possibility that we end up like the Flames.

Gillis is a great GM. Don't get me wrong. He has done a lot of good things for Vancouver, but one of his biggest mistakes is holding on to players for too long. One reason why Detroit has been so successful is because they know when to let go of players. To be honest, I'm not really sure what Gillis can do other than praying that our top prospects can make an impact fast.

It's easy to complain that he isn't trading away Edler and other players that are playing bad. However, why would you trade something when it has low value? If we as fans can see that the players aren't playing up to par, I'm sure that other GM's and scouts can see the same things. Gillis is in a lose-lose situation right now.

That being said, I'm excited for the future. Gillis has done a great job of acquiring young talent for our team. Horvat, Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce, Corrado, Kassian, Schroeder and Tanev look like they have the potential to be impact players in the NHL someday.

- No identity.

- Coach who won't give this team one.

- Sedin's are expected to be a two man line. (No complimentary players for them)

- Management is too thick to realize this or wants to grind the season out.

- 2/3 of our team is full of players who look good trying hard, but don't have the talent to back it up. Put into roles out outside of their comfort zone etc.

The Sedins have had a PERFECT complimentary piece for years. This year he has been injured twice.

I get it that many keyboard warriors think we should add a bunch of great players but the salary cap isn't going to allow it this year. This crappy team is 11th in the ENTIRE NHL in a way tougher conference.

The Sedins have had a PERFECT complimentary piece for years. This year he has been injured twice.

I get it that many keyboard warriors think we should add a bunch of great players but the salary cap isn't going to allow it this year. This crappy team is 11th in the ENTIRE NHL in a way tougher conference.

I was referring to our abysmal powerplay and our offensive black holes on defence, I think the Burrows incident would have been obvious enough. I'd also like to mention that you're calling out keyboard warriors that don't exist in this topic. So why don't you keep your cynical remarks to yourself and try to entertain thoughtful discussion. If you don't like it, don't bother commenting.

However, they are trending badly both in the context of this season and also in the longer run.

However, they are trending badly both in the context of this season and also in the longer run.

I didnt realize they were "trending" in the long run. How did you measure that? I admit I do not know what this team will look like after the deadline never mind NEXT SEASON. Let me know.

I'd bet your mouth was shut in December.

It's the repeat mistakes. It's like this team doesn't learn, instead it makes the same mistakes again and again. They talk about taking positives all the time yet you see no improvement.

13-10-2 in Oct Nov. 10-1-2 in December with wins vs Boston Chicago, now 4-8-2 in January. A very bipolar team

I for one am done analysing or looking. Just wait for the events to unfold. Going.the way we are this summer and trade deadline will be interesting

I just looked at capgeek and man we are looking very much like the Flames were with all the long term contracts and freakin NTC"S!!!

We have so many guys signed to long term deals with NTC"s and this the state of the team with these locked up players! How the heck can we moved forward until at least half of these contracts expire? To do change the core/rebuild we have to wait at least 2+ years for the contracts to expire or get some players to waive their NTC's

Archived