The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Proposal] Realistic Trades vs Unrealistic Trades

I've seen a plethora of trades on this forum ranging from the ridiculous, to the realistic ones. Franchise players that are young (Droiun, Nyquist, Mantha, Tavares, Mattaa, etc) are not coming here w/ what we have to offer. The players we can get are Jurco, Theodore, Simmonds, or others that aren't as highly prolific or well-known yet. If they have lots of potential, and are well known, forget about them.
We can also get 1st round picks as long as they're lower than 5. No team will trade a top 5 pick for an aging veteran like Kesler, unproven players like Corrado or others. They would do it for Horvat, but I'd rather keep him. Think about it, if a team can get a young guy w/ a top 5 vs Kesler or Edler, who do think they will choose. Even if they're prepped for a cup run, they'd still take the guy that'll be better than Kes/Edler in a couple of years.
Also, you gotta look at what the team needs. I've seen ppl say give Kes to CBJ and get 3 top prospects for him (Wennenber, Jenner, and another guy). We rob their prospect pool for many years to come. It would be like us trading Horvat, Shink and Guance for a guy like Mike Richards (comparable to Kesler). Now tell me, would you do that deal? Same scenario pretty much.
For a top 5 pick, we'd need to give up: 1st rounder (8th), Edler/2nd and Corrado.
Think about from a that teams perspective. If I were GM of like Winnipeg (assuming they're in 5th) and saw this, I might accept it. There is quite a big drop off from the 5th pick to the 6th pick this year, it's going to take a lot to get that pick. Drasitl will probably be at 5, he's better than say Perlini or Virtanen by quite a margin. He's elite and Virtanen is great. We can't get higher than a 5 this year because the only other asset not being a good prospect would be Kesler which if you're rebuilding, you don't need him.
For Kesler: Top prospect, not elite (Poliout, Tatar, Lindholm) and a 1st. Nothing more, nothing less. Kesler is becoming a footnote as the season closes, he has around the same amount of points as Ennis, Camillareli, Smith, Ward, etc) those guys are not even worth a 1st w/ the exception of maybe Cammi. The reason he's still worth that much is because he brings a compete level, night in, and night out. He's good defensively and he's tough. W/ all that being said, he's injury prone as well and has had many surgeries. We need to trade him while the league still thinks he's good when really, he's not.
For Edler: a bag of pucks. I'm kidding. He's worth almost nothing really. He's got the 2nd worst +- in the league. I hope he has some injury that we don't know about because he's trash. For Edler, I'd say a 1st and a mid level prospect, if we're lucky. So like a Jurco or Puempel + the 1st. We can't get anybody that's amazing. He probably wouldn't waive anyways...
Lastly, IF THE TEAM IS REBUILDING (Florida, NYI, Buffalo, etc) THEY DON'T WANT KESLER OR OTHER VETERANS. THEY WANT AND NEED YOUNG GUYS. Damn, this is long.

Mmmm. I disagree kesler and edler could get us a top 5 pick. Look at islanders or edmonton if kesler would go there theyd give a ton

Florida, islanders, oilers, and calgary seem to akways have top ten picks and they are always horrible.

Young stud prospects are great but dont think kesler cant play another 11yrs hes 29 how old is jagr 42 and he has 65 points.

Kesler is a 1st or 2nd line center that can go beast mode dont think teams dont like his 5 mill contract either much better than nugent skinny boy hopkins at 6 mill per for 7 yrs

Mmmm. I disagree kesler and edler could get us a top 5 pick. Look at islanders or edmonton if kesler would go there theyd give a ton

Florida, islanders, oilers, and calgary seem to akways have top ten picks and they are always horrible.

Young stud prospects are great but dont think kesler cant play another 11yrs hes 29 how old is jagr 42 and he has 65 points.

Kesler is a 1st or 2nd line center that can go beast mode dont think teams dont like his 5 mill contract either much better than nugent skinny boy hopkins at 6 mill per for 7 yrs

So, Kesler and Edler to say Edmonton for the 2nd/3rd pick? Are you out of your mind. Even for the 5th pick, Winnipeg or NYI wouldn't take that. These teams want young guys. Ekblad> Edler already. Reinhart> Kesler in 1-2 yrs. Bennett> Kesler in 2-3 yrs. Dal Colle and Drasitl> Kesler in 3-4 yrs. These teams aren't ready to win yet.

There's a difference between top 10 picks and top 5 picks. Oilers need Ekblad and they'll be good, Florida recently started to rebuild, Calgary also started and NYI, well, they're the Islanders. lol

Jagr and Kesler don't belong in the same conversation... I wasn't around to see Jagr play for the Pens but I don't think he had this many surgeries and he doesn't play the same way Kesler does.

I'd take RNH over Kesler any day. He can't take a hit to save his life, but he can still grow to be even better and he puts up loads of points. 11 more than Kesler to be exact.

People think Kesler's value is a lot, because he a former 40 goals scorer and a Selke winner (keyword FORMER) and that's pretty much their only argument.

In reality, he's a great defensive forward, with average offensive numbers (think of Jere Lehtinen). No one in their right mind would trade their prized prospect or two of their top prospects + a 1st round pick for an aging player, with a long history of being injured. No matter how well his compete level is and what his past accomplishment were.

Well, what about the Mike Richards trade? Richards was 26 yrs old when he was traded, didn't have any injury problems, and was racking up 60-80 points a season, before being dealt. (Mike Richards' last three seasons with Philadelphia, he had a combine 208 points. while Kesler's last FOUR seasons he had 173 points. )

People think Kesler's value is a lot, because he a former 40 goals scorer and a Selke winner (keyword FORMER) and that's pretty much their only argument.

In reality, he's a great defensive forward, with average offensive numbers (think of Jere Lehtinen). No one in their right mind would trade their prized prospect or two of their top prospects + a 1st round pick for an aging player, with a long history of being injured. No matter how well his compete level is and what his past accomplishment were.

Well, what about the Mike Richards trade? Richards was 26 yrs old when he was traded, didn't have any injury problems, and was racking up 60-80 points a season, before being dealt. (Mike Richards' last three seasons with Philadelphia, he had a combine 208 points. while Kesler's last FOUR seasons he had 173 points. )

I know but u should see what others have proposed. I think if we traded w/ pit for poliout and a 1st that it would work. They already have a deep dman pool w/ maatta, harrington, dumolin, despres, even letang. Poliout is now expendable bcuz of maatta's emergence and they're basically the same type of player. They could use a guy like kesler on their team because they lack depth after Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Kunitz. Some people want to get a guy like mantha, Tatar and a 1st for him...

Archived