The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Proposal] Jarome Iginla?

I don't see it happening for 2 reasons.

1. We didn't make playoffs. I don't think he would really want to gamble another year in twilight years of his career, when he desperately wants a championship so bad. He will most want to go to a team that already has shown they have what it takes to win and he's the last piece to the puzzle, or rather just an ended security bonus. (similar to how he asked to go to Pitt, and then went to Boston after.) They are clear contenders.

2. Since we are rivals with Calgary, I don't think he will want to do his fans like that. Why risk losing fans, or the reputation you built in clagary over a whole career, to sign with a team that didn't even make the playoffs? It just logically doesn't make sense on almost any front. Even if Benning becomes the GM and Linden does everything he can to sweet talk him into it, it just is not going to happen. But who knows, anything can happen in the NHL. I would rather take the money that he would ask for, and try to use that to sign Paul Stastny. Highly unlikely he comes to Vancouver either, but still, more likely than Iginla.

edit:

Oh and btw, you forgot Brad Richardson in your projected forward lineup and I guess you're assuming we let Mike Santorelli walk.

He's going to sign with a Stanley Cup contender for sure, probably with the Blackhawks or resign with the Bruins.

This. Although I think he would fit pretty well playing with the Kings.

Solid goaltending, strong D, and they play a two way game.

Archived