The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Kesler Trade Based on J. Staal and Mike Richards Trades

This is Kesler's value IMO, and I think I'm pretty close

High 1st round pick, young roster player with top 6 or (Top 3 D) potential.

or

2nd round, Blue-Chip, Young roster player (again top 6 or top 3).

That's using similar trades. Sorry Anaheim 24th doesnt equal young roster player with top 6 F / top 3 D potential.

Pittsburgh's offer would have to be one of Maatta/Pouliot, 1st round pick (maybe 2nd), Sutter.

why do you say kesler had bad line mates?....he doesn't use his line mates enough...he is a shoot first guy....many players have been tried with him and failed.....is it his line mates that have failed or is it kesler's style that doesn't fit with anyone elses style?

kesler is a hell of a hockey player and a valuable member of the team.....as a right winger, with a good play making center on his line he would score a ton of goals, but he wants to play center and it just isn't working from there...we virtually don't have secondary scoring from the second line......i thought that richardson, kassian and booth played like a second line should.

He played w/ guys who would be 3rd liners on a good team on Burr, Santo, Hansen, etc. Sure, the best players in the game don't need amazing linemates, but Kesler does to be a great player. Throwing 3rd liners on his line isn't good enough.

2nd round, Blue-Chip, Young roster player (again top 6 or top 3).

That's using similar trades. Sorry Anaheim 24th doesnt equal young roster player with top 6 F / top 3 D potential.

Pittsburgh's offer would have to be one of Maatta/Pouliot, 1st round pick (maybe 2nd), Sutter.

These 2 are off by quite a bit. Especially the 1st one. Why would a team trade a young top 3/6 forward for Kesler? That young guy can still grow and be better than Kesler...

These 2 are off by quite a bit. Especially the 1st one. Why would a team trade a young top 3/6 forward for Kesler? That young guy can still grow and be better than Kesler...

Look at the thread title. That's what I based it off. And yes, you are right, but that's the risk the other team takes. Simmonds out produced Richards, and he was that young roster player. Even in the Jeff Carter trade, Voracek has a higher PPG and he was the young roster player.

It's meant for teams competing now. Yes, I think LA overpaid and lost the Richards trade but hey, they got a cup and made the final 4 this year and last year. Kesler can help teams NOW like Richards did.

Although, maybe my value is a bit off as Kesler is 2 years older now then Richards was when he was traded.

I would do the first trade but I think Pouliot is too valuable to the penguins, they would move Maataa or Letang before him. Maataa would be a good asset to get. What about Kesler for Maataa, 2nd 2014 and Bennett?

Considering Maatta is NHL ready I disagree.

And the first deal is way better then the Anaheim deals at least in my books. For whatever that's worth.

Look at the thread title. That's what I based it off. And yes, you are right, but that's the risk the other team takes. Simmonds out produced Richards, and he was that young roster player. Even in the Jeff Carter trade, Voracek has a higher PPG and he was the young roster player.

Although, maybe my value is a bit off as Kesler is 2 years older now then Richards was when he was traded.

Yeah, but at the time, Simmonds was a 3rd line, energy guy. Not a 1st/2nd liner...In the case for Voracek and Carter, it's different. Carter was worth more than Richards because he put up more goals and was a pure sniper, something highly coveted.

Yup. Also, Richards was coming off that contract signing so LA didn't have to worry for many years about his contract.

Archived