The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll/ Discussion] Nylander vs. Ehlers; only 2 options for Canucks at #6

canucks155

Who should the Canucks draft at #6  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cody Hodgson played a full season last year. or did you miss that? Your original statement was an I quote

"Gillis was w/ the team for a long time, and NONE of the players he drafted played a full season last year"

Who cares that it was with BUF he still played a full season

Something that also is a big help to this team is getting our own AHL team. We can now properly develop our picks and we will start to see rewards of that but it doesn't happen over night. Gillis did fine with drafting. He didn't hit a home run with each pick but zero NHL gm's do. Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Jensen all at this point look like solid picks and nothing we should be upset about. CHI had 6 years with top 10 picks and only 2 amounted to anything.

He doesn't even play for the Canucks anymore. Why does he matter in this discussion? Sure, he drafted him, but then he traded him for Kassian.

Difference between us and the Hawks is 2 cups...

I would still draft one of Virtanen, Fluery (who I really like) or Perlini. They are all big, play good defense, can skate and score. Virtanen is expected to make a full recovery from surgery so that is not the issue.

No more smallish players, especially ones who need to work on defense. We need players that are closer to earning a spot. However, if I had to choose between the two, I would take Nylander.

If we trade Kesler (pretty inevitable atm) then we most likely get the 10th ++ from Anaheim. I'd rather draft Perlini, Fleury or Ritchie (if available at 10) at 10 and Ehlers or Nylander at 6. We need some elite offensive talent, we need more Shinkaruks and less Guance's.

Well, Ehlers isn't exactly small, he doesn't weigh a lot, but he's the same height as Bennett, but nobody brings up his size. Almost every junior player not considered a 2 way player needs work on defense. Defensive skills are easily developed under correct coaching. Scouts have to give a downside and it's almost always defense since it's not worked on in the juniors.

*Yawn*

I'm going to return to this thread again, after a little break.

We should Trade Kesler + 36th OVR pick or something like that to Anaheim in exchange for their 10th OVR pick and Lindholm. Seems like a damn good trade too me. For both teams.

Would draft Nylander with our 6th overall pick and then draft Ritchie with the 10th. That way we get our super highskilled winger, who can play centre aswell. But we also get Ritchie because, as much as I don't like him, His size will be needed to decrease the amount of pushing around we get from the LA's, the San Jose's and the Anaheim's of our division. And the West in general is mighty tough. Ritchie is a big man who is skilled enough to play with Nylander, and almost protect him in a sense. While Nylander is still growing and could get quite a bit bigger.

I can see Ritchie developing into a faster version of Lucic. Or at the very best, maybe a bigger version of Bobby Ryan.

*Yawn*

I'm going to return to this thread again, after a little break.

We should Trade Kesler + 36th OVR pick or something like that to Anaheim in exchange for their 10th OVR pick and Lindholm. Seems like a damn good trade too me. For both teams.

Would draft Nylander with our 6th overall pick and then draft Ritchie with the 10th. That way we get our super highskilled winger, who can play centre aswell. But we also get Ritchie because, as much as I don't like him, His size will be needed to decrease the amount of pushing around we get from the LA's, the San Jose's and the Anaheim's of our division. And the West in general is mighty tough. Ritchie is a big man who is skilled enough to play with Nylander, and almost protect him in a sense. While Nylander is still growing and could get quite a bit bigger.

I can see Ritchie developing into a faster version of Lucic. Or at the very best, maybe a bigger version of Bobby Ryan.

No way Anaheim trades Lindholm. Too valuable too them. Something like 10th, Etem/Theodore and 24th I think would work tho.

Not sure Ritchie drops that far. I know I've ripped Ritchie a lot, but he's a lock for the top 10 IMO. However, we could use the 24th and move up and get him, or get Perlini who is basically the same as him. Actually, what is the difference between Perlini and Ritchie? They look pretty similar to me.

Yeah, he was WITH the team, but he only played 25 games. Sure, it's not Gillis' fault he was injured, but drafting a 5'8 player w/ no offensive upside other than speed in the 1st round is an idiotic move.

I said the players he DRAFTED. Don't bring up Gillis and trades w/ me. Horrible at trades...

I'm not ignoring the facts. The guy I was responding to was talking solely about his drafting. Not trades, not signings, just drafting.

And yet you ignored two players Gillis had drafted that were full time NHL'ers last year (i.e. not playing junior, college overseas or the AHL). If you don't want to talk trades, signings, etc, you still have to pay attention to the actual drafted players.

He doesn't even play for the Canucks anymore. Why does he matter in this discussion? Sure, he drafted him, but then he traded him for Kassian.

Difference between us and the Hawks is 2 cups...

Ah, but I thought you were ignoring trades. I guess not then, eh? So Kassian's back in the mix as a player Gillis wanted to draft but couldn't as he went before Hodgson. The trade just fixed that.

No way Anaheim trades Lindholm. Too valuable too them. Something like 10th, Etem/Theodore and 24th I think would work tho.

Not sure Ritchie drops that far. I know I've ripped Ritchie a lot, but he's a lock for the top 10 IMO. However, we could use the 24th and move up and get him, or get Perlini who is basically the same as him. Actually, what is the difference between Perlini and Ritchie? They look pretty similar to me.

I'm sure if we maybe add in Tanev along with that deal, we could probably get Lindholm. Although, I'm fine with Theodore as well.

Yeah, Ritchie probably won't be availible. But 1 or 2 teams always seem to pick "outside of the box" in the draft. I mean, Shinkaruk was projected to go top 15 and was ranked in the top 10 for North American Skaters. Yet, we got him at 24th overall. And Horvat wasn't even supposed to go top 10. So, there's a chance.

And Perlini and Ritchie do seem kinda similar. They're the same height, and Ritchie weighs more. Perlini seems to be a bit faster and more offensively minded than Ritchie though.

And yet you ignored two players Gillis had drafted that were full time NHL'ers last year (i.e. not playing junior, college overseas or the AHL). If you don't want to talk trades, signings, etc, you still have to pay attention to the actual drafted players.

Ah, but I thought you were ignoring trades. I guess not then, eh? So Kassian's back in the mix.

Which 2? Kassian and Hodgson? That's 2 drafted players by Gillis who have played more than 41 games. 1 of them isn't even on the team anymore and the other can be a boom or a bust.

Fine, Gillis had 1 prospect develop and play more than half a season. Lets give him the GM of the year trophy, oh wait...

I'm sure if we maybe add in Tanev along with that deal, we could probably get Lindholm. Although, I'm fine with Theodore as well.

Yeah, Ritchie probably won't be availible. But 1 or 2 teams always seem to pick "outside of the box" in the draft. I mean, Shinkaruk was projected to go top 15 and was ranked in the top 10 for North American Skaters. Yet, we got him at 24th overall. And Horvat wasn't even supposed to go top 10. So, there's a chance.

And Perlini and Ritchie do seem kinda similar. They're the same height, and Ritchie weighs more. Perlini seems to be a bit faster and more offensively minded than Ritchie though.

I'd rather get Theoedore and keep Tanev

True

Why is Ritchie thought to be better than him. I've rarely seen any mention of Perlini on this forum, but Ritchie and Virtanen are everywhere. Pretty weird. I actually like Perlini better than Ritchie since he has less issues.

I'd love to walk out of the draft w/ Ehlers, Etem, Perlini and Sanheim w/ only losing Kesler. That would top even last year's draft. We get everything: speed, size, skill, defense, offense, scoring, everything.

I'd rather get Theoedore and keep Tanev

True

Why is Ritchie thought to be better than him. I've rarely seen any mention of Perlini on this forum, but Ritchie and Virtanen are everywhere. Pretty weird. I actually like Perlini better than Ritchie since he has less issues.

I'd love to walk out of the draft w/ Ehlers, Etem, Perlini and Sanheim w/ only losing Kesler. That would top even last year's draft. We get everything: speed, size, skill, defense, offense, scoring, everything.

Well, Theodore seems like a really nice Offenseive D-Man prospect, while I don't really like Tanev at all. Just another All-Around defenseman that isn't really gonna go anywhere far.

And yes, I just love how Kesler's trade value is so high, we really could get ALOT back for him. He's like a slightly less skilled version of Toews, but a better shot. Whatever we get in exchange for him, will then put us in a great position for the next 5-10 years.

Only 2 options? I think Benning & Linden might take a look at Ritchie and Virtanen.

You obviously look at every prospect, but I think based on what Benning wants this team to be like, he'll look for elite offensive talent like Ehlers and Nylander.

Plus, I was looking for a provocative enough title so a lot of ppl would click on this. I think it worked...

Gillis was w/ the team for a long time, and NONE of the players he drafted played a full season last year. The guys who played more than 10 games were: Jensen, Schroeder (likely gone) and Corrado. Not too impressive.

His neck beard didn't help either...

He wasnt that bad. His problem was shelling out firsts and seconds for guys like Ballard and Roy. The scouts suck though. The year we drafted Hodgson it was Gillis's doing not the scouts. The scouts wanted Beach. Hodgson turned into Kassian who will be a stud once he matures a bit. Beach is probably getting into bar fights somewhere. So far im good with Eric Crawford as the head of the snake of the scouts. Horvats ceiling is still unknown and Shinkaruk had major surgery though. Jensen and Cassels were good picks as well as Cederholm and Corrado. Little Jordy Shredder could still turn out , you never know.

Considering he's playing for the Sabres now, no.

True. But LA got help w/ Pearson and Toffoli and the Kings been good for a while.

Those guys are signings. I was talking about drafting. He made some decent singings, but some truely awful ones too (Garrison)

I don't even think Schroeder gets a deal from the Canucks this summer.

Well be prepared to be proven wrong.

He wasnt that bad. His problem was shelling out firsts and seconds for guys like Ballard and Roy. The scouts suck though. The year we drafted Hodgson it was Gillis's doing not the scouts. The scouts wanted Beach. Hodgson turned into Kassian who will be a stud once he matures a bit. Beach is probably getting into bar fights somewhere. So far im good with Eric Crawford as the head of the snake of the scouts. Horvats ceiling is still unknown and Shinkaruk had major surgery though. Jensen and Cassels were good picks as well as Cederholm and Corrado. Little Jordy Shredder could still turn out , you never know.

If the Beach/Hodgson thing is true, then Gillis may not be the worst GM ever, he's now 2nd worst :)

Well, Theodore seems like a really nice Offenseive D-Man prospect, while I don't really like Tanev at all. Just another All-Around defenseman that isn't really gonna go anywhere far.

And yes, I just love how Kesler's trade value is so high, we really could get ALOT back for him. He's like a slightly less skilled version of Toews, but a better shot. Whatever we get in exchange for him, will then put us in a great position for the next 5-10 years.

We could probably get Theodore w/o giving up Tanev as I see him or Etem as being the 3rd item along w/ the 10th and 24th in the Kes deal. I'd honestly rather get Etem tho since him and Shinkaruk were DYNAMITE (Etem had 60+ goals and Shink was 1 off from 50). Should be an interesting summer tho.

Archived