The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion/Proposal) Why we should trade up...

There has been lots of talk about trading up for the first or second overall pick to get Sam Reinhart and I think it is just what this team needs. The Canucks need difference makers, not solid prospects. A team of second/third line players wont win you a stanley cup, every time that is going to contend needs top end talent. Now drafting is never a sure thing as we all know, but drafting 1st or 2nd has a way higher percentage of the player panning out. Ekblad and Reinhart will both be stars in the league in my opinion, after that picks 3-7 will be mainly second line guys maybe one first liner and a third or a bust. As a organization we need star players, exciting players who can get make u go "WOW", this sells tickets draws a greater audience and obviously improves the team. It is no secret the Sedin's most prolific scoring days are behind them so it is clear that now is our time to stock up on players for the future benefit of this organization. Here is my suggestion come draft day:

Trade:

To Van: 1st overall pick (Sam Reinhart)

To Florida: Garrison, Gaunce, 6th overall pick (Ehlers)

To Van: 10th overall pick, 24th overall pick, 2015 2nd, Shea Theodore

To Anaheim: Ryan Kesler, Rights to Shroeder. - Kesler is the real deal/ sure thing, we dont know what we are getting into for sure with these picks/prospects so we need to force lots out of them to up the odds + I dont see shroeder fitting into this team down the road, seems to me like he needs a change of scenery.

Draft Day:

1st: Sam Reinhart - Future #1 centre & captain & face of the franchise

10th: Jake Virtanen - Shoot first goal scoring winger, hometown boy, Virtanen + Reinhart = $

24th: Joshua Ho-Sang - Best Hands in the draft, lots of raw skill, great potential.... risky pick.

36th: Julius Honka/Sanheim - Add to our defensive prospects, one of them should be available to take.

RFA signings:

Tanev 3years@3.75m per - he's earned the raise

Kassian 2years@2.2m per

Dalpe 1year@700k

UFA signings:

Nikita Nikitin 2years@3.5m per - earning 2.5 now

Devon Setoguchi 2years@3m per -

Resign Santorelli 1year@1.8m per - injusry shortened season "do it again" contract

Buyout: Booth

2014-2015:

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Burrows-Reinhart-Kassian

Higgins-Santorelli-Setoguchi

Matthias-Richardson-Hansen

Dalpe

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Nikitin

Stanton-Bieksa

Alberts (if he recovers)

Lack

Markstrom

This isnt a lineup that will make a big splash, it will give Reinhart the opportunity to get a feel for the NHL and get mentored, Kassian Develops, so does Horvat and Co. on their respective teams. Similar looking team in 2015-2016 adding Horvat, Corrado, Shinkaruk and possibly Fox or Virtanen into the mix, here is what our team looks like 2016-2017 (without any 2015 draft picks of course)

2016-2017:

Shinkaruk-Reinhart-Virtanen

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Fox-Horvat-Kassian

Burrows-Matthias-Mallet

Archibald

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Corrado

Stanton-Theodore

Subban

Lack

Markstrom

Roster Once the Sedins are gone (2018-2019) - I know a lot can happen, but its an educated guess

Jensen-Reinhart-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Ho-Sang - If Ho-Sang and Shinkaruk reach potential then we could have a 1A & 1B

Fox-Cassels-Kassian tandem

Grenier-Matthias-Mallet - Bottom Two lines have grit plus we could keep adding through FA & Draft

Lain

Edler-Tanev - D could use improvement however will get deeper throughout rebuild and free agency

Theodore-Honka

Hutton-Corrado

Subban

Lack - Now in his prime

Markstrom - Could switch places with Lack depending on who developed better.

I think the last team there plus some other high draft picks and Free Agent signings could make a run for the cup in 4-6 years. Its gunna be a wait, but I sure hope its worth it.

Let me know what you think or if u have any suggestions.

I get the first part. You say we shouldnt roll the dice at #6. We should trade up to #1 or 2 because they are almost always sure things. A team needs to build with high end talent. Not second liner maybe first liners.

But then you turn around and do exactly that. Trade Kesler and take even a bigger chance at #10 ? I think your proposal is really about getting the 2 Vancouver homegrown prospects.

Why would Garrison waive to go to the place that was likely offering him more money to stay. If Garrison is waiving anywhere, it's likely a contender and that's if he wants to win the cup badly. They also don't need Guance as they're LOADED at center.

Also, the Leafs are reportedly offering something a lot better than this.

IIRC the Leafs' offer was Phanuef, Kadri, and the 8th overall pick. As I understand it, the point of the Panthers to move down was so that they can get assets that can help them win now while drafting a highly skilled player, specifically Ehlers. The 8th overall pick might be a little late to draft him considering Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie are the BPA after the top 5.

Garrison, Jensen, and the 6th should do it. Top 4 defenseman that Florida fans liked, a top 9 winger with top 6 potential, and a pick high enough to secure their purported target Ehlers.

If not that, then maybe Tanev, Hansen, and the 6th overall pick might work.

I do agree that we should trade up to get a player that has a legitimate shot at becoming a superstar. At this point, however, I'm torn between Reinhart and Ekblad. I guess it all depends on the return we get from Kesler. Poulio+t? 10th overall+?

Not adding Theodore was just an oversight, I went back and fixed it also, I think the Canucks covet Jensen so we might be reluctant to let him go we could deal gaunce + like a 2015 second hopefully that would do the trick

you can never have too many good centre prospects.

Barkov

Huberdeau

Bjugstad

Gaunce

forgive me if im missing someone

seems like a great scenario if florida agrees to their deal. Breaks up a stale core, brings in much needed prospects, and finally gets the youth movement underway... I'm hesitant to throw in reinhart right away into a second line center role right away. Mackinnon started the year third line and worked his way up which may be better for his development

seems like a great scenario if florida agrees to their deal. Breaks up a stale core, brings in much needed prospects, and finally gets the youth movement underway... I'm hesitant to throw in reinhart right away into a second line center role right away. Mackinnon started the year third line and worked his way up which may be better for his development

I think you have good point there, what I saw in this was a team that could develope some of their youth guys while also getting a high pick in next years great draft. If we wanted Reinhart to start as a third line centre we could always bring in a second/third line guy via free agency, somebody who could move up and down the lineup depending on how well he was playing.

Archived