The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value of] Prospects on wing

So after seeing how large a selection of centre prospects the Canucks have in the system (ie. Horvat, McCann, Gaunce, Fox, Friesen, Lain etc.) I couldn't help but notice the weak depth on the wings.

Sure there's Shinkaruk, Jensen, and Virtanen, but the rest don't really seem to intrigue me very much.

LW

Shinkaruk

Archibald (RFA)

Zalewski

Kenins

Blomstrand

RW

Jensen(if he's still considered a prospect)

Virtanen

Grenier

In my eyes the players I've highlighted in blue will have a good chance at being top 6 players. I think the players in green have a chance at being solid bottom 6 nhl players.

Even though a ton of the centre prospects can shift to wing the Canucks should grab some wingers incase some of these guys don't pan out.

Here are a few prospects I have in mind

Brett Ritchie- RW Dallas Stars 6'4 215lbs

-Younger brother of recently drafted Nick Ritchie

-Plays a heavy game and enjoys using his great shot and protecting the puck with his giant frame in the corners

-Coached by Willie Desjardins last season

-Not as skilled or heavy as his younger brother but is still a solid prospect regardless

-IMO he would be the ideal linemate for Kassian

Austin Watson C/LW/RW Nashville Predators 6'4 194lbs

-Plays all three positions (usually played centre in junior)but played wing with Nashville (If I remember correctly)

-Great work ethic and can be used to shutdown the other team's top players.

-Seems like a Linden/Benning type of player

-Traded by Windsor for Zack Kassian back in 2010

-Can be a solid top 9 winger in the nhl

Brock McGinn LW Carolina Hurricanes 5'11 172lbs

-Hard nosed shutdown player that agitates and shuts down the other teams top lines while providing some offense

-Can see him being an Andrew Shaw type of player

Emerson Etem RW Anaheim ducks 6'1 206

-Fast, big skilled forward that likes to score goals

-Can fight when need be

-May be expendable with the Ducks large amount of solid wing prospects

-Played with Shinkaruk back in Medicine hat

-Coached by Willie Desjardins in Medicine hat

Nick Ritchie LW Anaheim Ducks 6'3 226

-Yeah I know it's early but I think he's the perfect winger for Kassian or Virtanen

-May be expendable in a few years when DSP, Etem, Rackell, Noesen, Silfverberg all take spots with the team

-Big rugged winger that can setup teammates and score

-Doesn't drop the gloves a ton, but when he does, he fights well

-Can provide a one two punch (like Kreider and Nash) with Virtanen in the future

-Solid acceleration but needs to work on his top end speed

-Finds the scoring areas on the ice and has a great shot to finish

Oliver Bjorkstrand RW Columbus Blue Jackets 5'11 164 lbs

-Fast winger and forechecks well

-Has a good shot and is reliable in his own zone

-Scores a ton of goals and doesn't shy away from the dirty areas when looking to score

-Finds the high scoring areas on the ice and finishes well

Any other players you have in mind?

What would you give up for these players?

I would like, Drouin, Ehlers, Nylander, Dal Colle, Gaudreau, Baertschi, Mantha, Jurco, McCarron, Forsberg, Rattie, MacKinnon, Johnson, Palat, Huberdeau, Gallagher, E. Kane, R. Smith, Nichuskin, Pearson, Landeskog, Kucherov, Wilson, and Hertl.

I would like, Drouin, Ehlers, Nylander, Dal Colle, Gaudreau, Baertschi, Mantha, Jurco, McCarron, Forsberg, Rattie, MacKinnon, Johnson, Palat, Huberdeau, Gallagher, E. Kane, R. Smith, Nichuskin, Pearson, Landeskog, Kucherov, Wilson, and Hertl.

Keep dreaming buddy keep dreaming

Vey is naturally a winger. Or maybe he converted himself as center. But Vey can play right wing when needed/told to. Fox could be a suprise as he could become a top 6 forward if he can convert himself into that point producing game into Utica. People say he had so many numbers this year because he's an overager and he's playing against "kids".

Archibald could have the potential to be the 3rd line checker. He is big, can skate, and has decent shot. Maybe handling is his problem, but he is still solid with the puck. I'd hate to lose this guy.

Jensen is I guess still considered a prospect. But he is developing more quickly than I expected. He didn't have a really good season with Utica and has some questions regarding his inconsistency. He might be that future second line winger. Least would be a 3rd line scoring winger.

Virtanen was a great pick. People say "He sucks he's one dimensional, draft Ehlers!". Every prospect has/or have had something to work on. Virtanen can easily work on that. He is a goal scorer(Many people on cdc complain we dont have enough goal scoring depth). He can fight, he can hit, he is big bodied, and great skating/hands. He will eventually become that kind of a player we need in the top 6.

Shinkaruk, IMO the next Claude Giroux(only winger), can do everything. He can pass, shoot, even hit, score, deke, has great hockey IQ just a great all around player. I kind of question his ability to defend, but he even said he will be working on that. He could crack the starting line up maybe just 1 more year.

We have some really good wingers

Edited to fix mistakes

Keep dreaming buddy keep dreaming

Nah. My only dream is to see the damn cup in this city. And btw, I was kinda being sarcastic as I was actually answering the OPs question; who would you like to see.

There's a few prospects on the wing who may come cheap.

- Teemu Pulkkinen from Detroit, led their AHL team in points and in goals as a rookie. Detroit are deep on the right side with Mantha and Jurco, ahead of him in the depth chart.

- Oliver Bjorkstrand from CBJs.

- Anthony Duclair from NYR, talented goal scorer. Scored 50 goals in juniors, only one of three people to do so.

Archived