The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi Lawsuit Settled

Canucks

EXACTLY!

There's vet's with missing limbs that go on to start their own business with no degree and no experienceand and are succesful. There's men and women with terminal illnesses that are life altering that go on to make them selves succesful. He has the opportunity and ability to still be a very succesful businessman, even within the NHL. He could've made a book, "player whose career end's tragically becomes scout, agent, gm, president..." Instead he wants to take the lazy "poor me" approach and throw the longest pitty party on record.

Not to say Bertuzzi is clean in all this. What he did was despicable and he should pay but 68 MILLION, RUFK ME! I'd take the average carrer length of a player who plays Steve's position, what Steve was making, multiply them and make Bertuzzi pay that. assuming Steve would've played longer or made more is nothing more than assumption/speculation, he could've just as easily played less and earned less.

HE chose to end his financial management career, Bertuzzi had no part in that. Steve probably decided from a legal stand point he could get more money from the lawsuit if he chose not to work due to "the incident". he acts like hes the only guy whose had a broken neck before. TONS of people in this country(im in the USA) break their necks due to accidents(mostly auto) and return to work. Unless their job was labor intensive or they're rendered a quadrapalegic. even then most make a career changes to suit their needs. Steve, however, is not a quad or parapalegic and actually conditioned in an attempt to return to the NHL. My wife fell from a 2nd story window, broke 2 vertebrae in her back required an emergency spinal fusion surgery. She works a desk job full time with no problem, she also takes care of our two year old!

It is quite obvious Moore is trying to milk the Bertuzzi teet for all it's worth so he doesn't have to work a day in his life.

What proof do you have that Moore hasn't made efforts to rejoin the work force?

It sounds like you haven't heard of all of the brain injury-related lawsuits coming out of the NFL. The NFL has already settled $765 million worth of claims from players who have alleged brain injuries stemming from play on the field.

So, yes, there are legal precedents involving a payout for an injury caused by one professional athlete towards another. The difference in the NFL cases is that the players went after the league directly, rather than the players who caused the injuries - presumably because, in part, it would have been tough to pinpoint the exact hits (and thus the exact players) who caused the damage. It was likely a cumulative thing (unlike Moore's broken neck).

http://www.lawfirmnewswire.com/2014/03/new-brain-injury-lawsuits-filed-by-professional-athletes/

those lawsuits are directly towards the NFL. A multi BILLion dollar organization. a lot different.

Though it doesnt apply to this case, there's laws in the US that prevent people from suing an employee personally for something they may have done wrong. Say i'm a chef and my food, improperly cooked, kills someone. That persons family can't personally come after me, the restaurant however, thats another story.

What proof do you have that Moore hasn't made efforts to rejoin the work force?

He's stated himself in interviews he can't and his lawyers have stated he can't work in the financial field for which he has a harvard degree.

The guy hasnt tried or he would be in the work force. He tried to get back in the NHL he was fully capable of doing that roughly 1 year after the incident. You're telling me 10 years later he can't join the work force in a desk job capacity? If you believe that then hell, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

Wouldn't expect you.. to say anything different, thema. Thanks, for not disappointing.

There are many different types of leadership in the NHL, But - as far as a humanitarian efforts go,...cue the myriad of clips that say Mess hasnt been the best example of that on the ice over the years. Off the ice & outside of hockey,....many aspects of his life,... also point to a lack of accountability & a pretty warped moral compass, as well. The NHL is a very broad entity... made up of many people of conflicting opinions. If polled I would expect there would be many who would agree with my sentiments ...as might agree with yours. And that's the point...which way is this league trending now & why? There is NHL leadership in the form of the League Commissioner & the Chairman of the BOG & their appointees...& I say...too often that Messier was aided,...abetted...and entitled! The entire NHL..is neither agreeing nor disagreeing with either of us, on that point, too.

If the Commissioner of this league, is the NHL...& is influential in steering policy & procedures, and is responsible for filling the head-office posts with hirings.....he is possibly the most hypocrtical & 2-faced of the lot. He's been selling us for years, on the safety & anti-violence movement... yet endorses Messier as an icon of leadership? And his most senior officials perpetuate antiquated thinking.... that may well cause more... Moore/Naslund, Bertizzi/ Moore, Keith/Sedin, McGrattan/Alberts,-type of incidents to occur. He has NO proper handle on the NHLOA Head of officials & the deployment of officials or their consistancy. Or does he? Are the results fitting a pattern - for other purposes? Bettman is a leader who's booed loudly.... in almost every arena he appears in..., yes - he makes the league money,..but why isnt this kind of PR bothering these owners? Something is seriously wanting here, right? NOT surprising that one villain would choose...to hype the other & their shared values.....where ever possible.

http://www.todaysparent.com/family/mark-messier-supporting-hockey-families/

BREAKIN-IT-DOWN: A poll question asking of 875 families across Ontario & Nova Scotia....had 90% of them say they will not put their children into hockey for safety reasons,.. lack of affordability,.. or due to too many poor experiences that made the game ,no longer fun. Messier chooses to address 1 of those factors. Guess which? Yup - affordability. He adds his name, ...& I will assume some time,... but no mention of any money...to the cause? Hmmmm...,,,and NOTHING said about addressing, those safety concerns...or of eliminating those poor experiences ....or bringing back the fun?! Say what? Hmmm....quelle surprise! So very, Messier.

The Messier Project, attempted to address equipment issues...as the key solution to safety,...and NOT the culture of violence, disrepect & retribution in hockey. Splashy press, & a very nice affiliation & lucrative endorsement deal...now that Cascades Sports & Mess, have been bought out by Bauer, too, BUT - why not get a "believeable" spokesperson who can speak to the issue of discipline on the ice, with a straight face? Why not try discouraging players/children from becoming arses who dont respect their fellow human beings out there. Messier wont help to solve the "real" core problems,... keeping parents from putting their kids in hockey. His core value says...' ya better be nasty enough to beat'em in the alley with a blind-side hit or 2.. insuccession - before you can ever hope to beat 'em on the ice or on the scoreboard'. Messier's got that mantra tattooed on his psyche...and his blinders are still on.

The day anyone hears a speech of contrition, accountability, regret or repentance from Messier...or a similar acknowledgment from Bauer, Cascades Sports, Hockey-Canada or the NHL ...that he should deliver a proper message like that for the good of the game & minor hockey in Canada.....call me up!

i think the messier leadership award and lady byng are being mixed up here. messier was definitely a good locker room presence and leader of players. a gentleman and example of sportmanship....not so much.

He's stated himself in interviews he can't and his lawyers have stated he can't work in the financial field for which he has a harvard degree.

The guy hasnt tried or he would be in the work force. He tried to get back in the NHL he was fully capable of doing that roughly 1 year after the incident. You're telling me 10 years later he can't join the work force in a desk job capacity? If you believe that then hell, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

NO, what I'm telling you is that there is absolutely no way you can say that with certainty if you don't have personal knowledge of the facts. Snippets of interviews don't count.

those lawsuits are directly towards the NFL. A multi BILLion dollar organization. a lot different.

Though it doesnt apply to this case, there's laws in the US that prevent people from suing an employee personally for something they may have done wrong. Say i'm a chef and my food, improperly cooked, kills someone. That persons family can't personally come after me, the restaurant however, thats another story.

The lawsuits are against the NFL, but they're still a result of players injuring other players. You asked for legal precedents for lawsuits following players injuring other players. So there you go.

As far as your other snippet, yes, of course you can sue the chef. I'm not sure how it works in the USA but there's no law against that in Canada that I know of. If you want to allege that the chef was negligent in preparing your meal (for example, used obviously rotten meat) then you can sue the chef. You'd also want to name the restaurant in the lawsuit since they presumably would have money to pay (or insurance), and because the principle of vicarious liability allows you to sue an employer for an employee's wrongdoing. But you can still sue the employee directly.

EXACTLY!

There's vet's with missing limbs that go on to start their own business with no degree and no experienceand and are succesful. There's men and women with terminal illnesses that are life altering that go on to make them selves succesful. He has the opportunity and ability to still be a very succesful businessman, even within the NHL. He could've made a book, "player whose career end's tragically becomes scout, agent, gm, president..." Instead he wants to take the lazy "poor me" approach and throw the longest pitty party on record.

Not to say Bertuzzi is clean in all this. What he did was despicable and he should pay but 68 MILLION, RUFK ME! I'd take the average carrer length of a player who plays Steve's position, what Steve was making, multiply them and make Bertuzzi pay that. assuming Steve would've played longer or made more is nothing more than assumption/speculation, he could've just as easily played less and earned less.

HE chose to end his financial management career, Bertuzzi had no part in that. Steve probably decided from a legal stand point he could get more money from the lawsuit if he chose not to work due to "the incident". he acts like hes the only guy whose had a broken neck before. TONS of people in this country(im in the USA) break their necks due to accidents(mostly auto) and return to work. Unless their job was labor intensive or they're rendered a quadrapalegic. even then most make a career changes to suit their needs. Steve, however, is not a quad or parapalegic and actually conditioned in an attempt to return to the NHL. My wife fell from a 2nd story window, broke 2 vertebrae in her back required an emergency spinal fusion surgery. She works a desk job full time with no problem, she also takes care of our two year old!

It is quite obvious Moore is trying to milk the Bertuzzi teet for all it's worth so he doesn't have to work a day in his life.

You miss the point.... Moore & his lawyers have clearly decided to make the Todd Bertuzzi incident...Steve's life's work, business & career. His victim-card will be well-punched by the time he retires it.

Book deals from journals, sensationalized movie options... that will likely include the portrayals of his family members,...(who's stories are all far more inspirational than his own)...& the exploits of the Steve Moore Foundation. This web-site solicits for additional speaking engagements, forums & of course donations,...without us knowing where or to whom any honorariums or wages may be paid? That could use a little explaining, too. Nice how the site, just happens to pop-up as the trial date is announced. Things that make ya go, hmmm.

This mess will be getting stinkier and it was all pretty stinky to begin with. Moore wants a best-seller & a block-buster and how much do you want to bet, no matter what that settlement or pay-out is,...he'll be healthy enough to do every one of those blasted expose's, interviews, and consultations....when the time comes. Ka-ching!!!

They can come after you if you deliberately put something in their food with intent to make them sick and they "accidentally" die. Shoddy preparation of food isn't a criminal assault, it is at worst negligence. There has to be intent.

You are miss the point.... Moore & his lawyers have clearly decided to make the Todd Bertuzzi incident...Steve's life's work, business & career. His victim-card will be well punched by the time he retires it. Book deal from the journals, his sensationalized movie ideas & deals... that will likely includes the portrayals of his family members,...(who's stories are all far more inspirational than his own)...& the exploits of the Steve Moore Foundation. The web-site's solicitations for more speaking engagements, forums & of course donations,...without us knowing where or to whom honorariums or wages may be paid, coud use a little explanation, too. This mess will be getting stinkier...and it was all pretty stinky to begin with. Moore wants a best-seller....& a block-buster...and how much dya wanna bet no matter what that settlement or pay-out is,...he'll be healthy enough to do everyone of those blasted expose's & interviews, and consultations....when the time comes. Ka-ching!!!

Even if you are right (which is highly unlikely) I feel the need to ask: what's so wrong with this? He has no hockey career left and his brain is apparently so damaged that he can't perform in the financial world either. So what if he makes the "Bertuzzi incident" his life's work? What else do you want the guy to do? Remember that Moore is still very angry at what has happened here and he may well take a hit in the pocketbook in order to drag this out for as long as possible and have all the facts of this case fully out in the public domain (as opposed to being sealed up as part of some pre-trial deal which is surely what would be expected from the Bert/Nux?NHL camp as a prerequisite for any settlement). if Moore feels strongly enough that the story needs to be told then it will be told; what will the difference be between $20 million and $30 million if the guy can't even think straight for the rest of his life. He wants revenge and he's going to get it. If you think Steve Moore is unpopular in Vancouver now just wait until he forces all the little storylines of this incident into the open. I am confident that the whole Canucks organisation of that era is going to come out of this looking very bad indeed. IF it does indeed go to trial. I say bet on it.

i think the messier leadership award and lady byng are being mixed up here. messier was definitely a good locker room presence and leader of players. a gentleman and example of sportmanship....not so much.

The Messier Award IS awarded to: " An individual who leads by positive example & on-ice performance, motivation of team members, and a dedication to community activities & charitable causes."....according to wikipedia.

I take exception to the words "positive example" as it relates to Mark Messier....in light of the many "negative examples" there would be to counter that claim. His community involvement in VAN was sparse to nil,...and most of the other affiliations he has to causes... he is compensated as a spoke-person, who is hardly out of pocket, and front & centre when that serves Bauer's purposes...in both the USA & Canada.

I find most hockey players have a lengthier & a far more invested service record in their communities than, Mr. Messier & that's comparing VAN's roster & Utica's roster as a sample size & by searching the results of other NHL team-captains around the league for comparisons' sake.

Not only is Mark Messier, NO 'Lady Byng Award' candidate,..but he clearly would NOT have been be a properly-vetted candidate for the 'Messier Award', either.

You can continue telling yourselves that Bertuzzi didn't do it, Moore's injuries aren't as bad as he claims they are and that it's the NHLs fault for allowing this to happen. But I have news for you, Santa Claus isn't real. You can deny it all you want but no amount of "Christmas Spirit" is going to change the fact that Bertuzzi plead GUILTY. Bertuzzi, Crawford and Canucks Sports and Entertainment have already completed a settlement agreement in 2011. Bertuzzi was already convict of assault.

tumblr_m85sp8DmnE1qzbh7d.gif

Moore wants this to go to court. Otherwise he wouldn't have demanded an amount so high that he knows Bertuzzi and CSE would never come close to settling on. Obviously the public spectacle of the trial is more important than the trial itself.

You are miss the point.... Moore & his lawyers have clearly decided to make the Todd Bertuzzi incident...Steve's life's work, business & career. His victim-card will be well punched by the time he retires it. Book deal from the journals, his sensationalized movie ideas & deals... that will likely includes the portrayals of his family members,...(who's stories are all far more inspirational than his own)...& the exploits of the Steve Moore Foundation. The web-site's solicitations for more speaking engagements, forums & of course donations,...without us knowing where or to whom honorariums or wages may be paid, coud use a little explanation, too. This mess will be getting stinkier...and it was all pretty stinky to begin with. Moore wants a best-seller....& a block-buster...and how much dya wanna bet no matter what that settlement or pay-out is,...he'll be healthy enough to do everyone of those blasted expose's & interviews, and consultations....when the time comes. Ka-ching!!!

Sounds like you have a career planned for him. Maybe you could be his agent.

HE chose to end his financial management career, Bertuzzi had no part in that. Steve probably decided from a legal stand point he could get more money from the lawsuit if he chose not to work due to "the incident". he acts like hes the only guy whose had a broken neck before.

If by "probably" you mean that you have no source and are making this up because you hate Moore then you are probably right...I think.

The Messier Award IS awarded to: " An individual who leads by positive example & on-ice performance, motivation of team members, and a dedication to community activities & charitable causes."....according to wikipedia.

I take exception to the words "positive example" as it relates to Mark Messier....in light of the many "negative examples" there would be to counter that claim. His community involvement in VAN was sparse to nil,...and most of the others affiliation to causes are he is compensated as a spoke-person, who is hardly out of pocket,.... but a front & centre when that serves Bauer's purposes. in both the USA & Canada.

I find most hockey players have a lengthier & a far more invested service record in their communities than, Mr. Messier. Comparing VAN's roster & the Utica's roster as a sample size & by searching the results of other NHL team-captains around the league for comparisons' sake... not only is Mark Messier,...NO 'Lady Byng Award' candidate,..but he's clearly no 'Messier Award' candidate, either

Just remembered that Luongo got the Messier award in 2007. Oh the irony...

We get it; you hate Messier. Nothing he can do will change your mind. Sorry, but once again you are in the tiny minority. And this coming from someone who is nowhere near his biggest fan...

Do you actually have any sort of source that says that Messier was paid to be a "hired gun" by Bauer or are you just making stuff up again to suit your "argument"? Please try to do at least a little research before you post inflammatory claims. Certainly if I were to post untrue things about Bertuzzi or Naslund I would be banned from here.

1975 - Police charged Bruins player Dave Forbes with aggravated assault after a fight with Henry Boucha of the Minnesota North Stars. After a nine-day trial ended with a hung jury, charges against Forbes were dropped. Boucha suffered blurred vision from the incident and never fully recovered.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2457&dat=19750718&id=mA40AAAAIBAJ&sjid=SyMIAAAAIBAJ&pg=565,994970

I can see why Bertuzzi is asking for a trial by jury

1975 - Police charged Bruins player Dave Forbes with aggravated assault after a fight with Henry Boucha of the Minnesota North Stars. After a nine-day trial ended with a hung jury, charges against Forbes were dropped. Boucha suffered blurred vision from the incident and never fully recovered.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2457&dat=19750718&id=mA40AAAAIBAJ&sjid=SyMIAAAAIBAJ&pg=565,994970

I can see why Bertuzzi is asking for a trial by jury

You are confusing a criminal case with a civil one. Apples and oranges. Bert is already guilty; it's now all about how much he, and his co-defendants pay.

I know it's a civil case. There is no record of any previous on-ice related assault going to civil court.

Bertuzzi is requesting a trial by Jury which is not typical in this type of case, but I can see why based on this case, why he would want one. What I don't know is if a Jury would need to be unanimous on awarding a settlement if it was a trial by jury. I already predicted it would be a 9 million dollar award in an earlier post. So i guess if there was a "Bertuzzi/Moore Settlement pool" That's where my bet would be.

Even if you are right (which is highly unlikely) I feel the need to ask: what's so wrong with this? He has no hockey career left and his brain is apparently so damaged that he can't perform in the financial world either. So what if he makes the "Bertuzzi incident" his life's work? What else do you want the guy to do? Remember that Moore is still very angry at what has happened here and he may well take a hit in the pocketbook in order to drag this out for as long as possible and have all the facts of this case fully out in the public domain (as opposed to being sealed up as part of some pre-trial deal which is surely what would be expected from the Bert/Nux?NHL camp as a prerequisite for any settlement). if Moore feels strongly enough that the story needs to be told then it will be told; what will the difference be between $20 million and $30 million if the guy can't even think straight for the rest of his life. He wants revenge and he's going to get it. If you think Steve Moore is unpopular in Vancouver now just wait until he forces all the little storylines of this incident into the open. I am confident that the whole Canucks organisation of that era is going to come out of this looking very bad indeed. IF it does indeed go to trial. I say bet on it.

Not saying that it's wrong,...I'm saying that he's got very solid earning power. Altho ' I do think there is something wrong - if he attempts to over-villify Mr. Bertuzzi ,...for eternity.

The NHL...pffft...they should be way more open, remorseful, & accountable...like Mr Bertuzzi has been from the fore. Moore is putting every egg into this basket & if he was rejected by Harvard business school, It may be because of Moore's series of ridiculous & standard-altering demands... that have been legally-presented & proposed so that the institution can make Moore's higher education - signifigantly easier for him. These institutions do a vetting process... & are aware of his character references, past history with the school.... & the fact that he is about to be embroiled in a very large court proceeding. With so many self-reported symptoms, as well.... I think they would be doubtng BOTH his intent & sincerity,... in saying that he would in anyway, be willing to dedicate the appropriate alottment of time, towards his proper education...as does Bertuzzi's defense team. They'd all be fools to trust that they weren't being duped,...used..or both.

After a settlement or at the conclusion of this case.... Moore may return & try again of course... & see if the results are any different the next time. Persistance would then be to his credit. I dont doubt for a minute tho' that Steve Moore's version of events will be drowning us all, with over-exposure in the end. I know the character traits (EGO) that I have witnessed & have seen demonstrated. I see his integrity crumbling & with others I question the character of a man who cannot acknowledge, what a fool he was to think, that his own reckless behavior on the ice ...is not worth an apology or two...and wont humble himself to accept the apology of another, either. In this, ...he is being most obstinate - like a Messier-mini-me....and if he cannot or will not forgive a repentant man,.. then he is clearly in greater peril or jeopardy, than most of us.

I know it's a civil case. There is no record of any previous on-ice related assault going to civil court.

Bertuzzi is requesting a trial by Jury which is not typical in this type of case, but I can see why based on this case, why he would want one. What I don't know is if a Jury would need to be unanimous on awarding a settlement if it was a trial by jury

that's a good question. Anybody know?

I hope he gets nothing !!!! zero, zilch, nada.. and then he's ordered to pay Bertuzzi's legal fees and Canuck harassment.. so broken neck man is out of pocket himself.... You sir, are an idiot... it must really suck to be you.

Archived