The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi Lawsuit Settled

Canucks

"A little beyond reason"? Seriously, no need for that. Just because I don't agree with your point doesn't make me beyond reason. Nothing saying your thinking is the "correct" point of view except that you believe it is.

Speaking of seeing a different perspective, haven't seen you do that either. But no need to butt heads, since we're not the ones deciding on any of this.

Well, what exactly is your argument here, that Bert isnt guilty whatsoever? You talk about "consent" here, as if Moore is supposed to agree to every fight/challenge offered to him. If Moore was a waitress in a bar and Bertuzzi was a drunk trying to pick her up and she refused, would you blame her if he attacked her because she didnt "consent" to his wishes, even though she went home with someone else the night before?

I think she is a little beyond reason in this thread. I'm going to bow out here since I don't think anything anyone says will change her mind or even allow her to see a different perspective.

Certainly for some posters here their emotional connection to this case is trumping their common sense. Deb calls Bert's attack a mere "punch" and/or "fight"; the legal system in B.C. called it a criminal assault. In order for it to be a "fight" the two combatants must be looking each other in the eye, facing each other while consenting to do battle; in this case Moore never knew what hit him. To even suggest that Bert's assault on Moore was in any way a "consentual fight" is to be disingenuous at the very least and smacks of a blind homerism that, at its extreme level, becomes unpalatable. The whole "pile up" nonsense has been dealt with in the criminal trial; it doesn't matter if the pile up caused the damage or not (and apparently the experts say that it didn't, Bert's slamming his head into the ice being the primary cause of the injury). The fact that Bert's criminal assault put the chain of events into action is sufficient to make the pile up a non factor. The people that say that the fact that Moore wasn't much of a player are ignoring the fact that in a court of law this becomes meaningless other than in determining how much money Moore might have made over the course of his career. whether or not he was a star and did or didn't deserve to be punked out because of his star status is bunk.

People saying that Naslund should sue Moore (or that Sedin should sue Keith) are ignoring the fact that these players continued their careers after healing up from their injuries and each of them subsequently signed lucrative new contracts long after the incidents in question, neither of which were considered criminal assaults by the authorities. Even Brashear continued his career after McSorely's assault on him. Moore's career ended with that assault and by all accounts he hasn't been able to do much of anything for a decade now. Seems pretty implausible to me that a guy with an alleged IQ of 138 would sit around for a decade waiting for some elusive big payout if he could get on with his life in some useful fashion. His life has apparently been ruined by a sore loser who was butthurt over a perceived wrong two months previously. People thinking that this case is destined to be finalized on the courthouse steps are forgetting that Moore is still very angry about this and may well want it to go to trial to expose everybody who had any part in it. Could prove very embarrassing for the old Canuck regime and it will be an unwanted distraction for the new one (one I am confident they can deal with).

Another common beef in Canuckland is the fact that Moore was even on the ice to begin with, as if by his very presence he was "goading" the Canucks. Many here believe that he shouldn't have been playing at all in a blowout but these people don't seem to understand that it is S.O.P. in the NHL to play your 3rd and 4th lines a lot when you are blowing another team out because 1) you don't want to run up the score too much 2) it's a good way to reward your plumbers and grinders with some extra ice time and, most importantly 3) you reduce the chance of one of your star players getting hurt (say by a loose cannon "defending his captain") in a game that is well decided. This is standard operating procedure in the NHL and this is what Granato and any other coach would do. Certainly he isn't going to let the Canucks dictate who he puts on the ice when he's blowing them out.

There was no "flying elbow". Moore's elbow is in on his body.

Moore did not "leave his feet"

The NHL deemed it legal after much consultation.

Bertuzzi's revenge was determined by the authorities as a criminal assault with intent to cause bodily harm. It was not a "fight". Or a "swat" (Thanks V.M.)

People who think that both the NHL erred by not suspending Moore because the Canucks demanded it and who think that Bertuzzi shouldn't have been charged with assault are in the very tiny minority once you leave this message board. Thank God for HF boards all inclusive NHL forum (not the Canuck specific one which closed the Moore thread because nobody there could keep it "civil"); I was beginning to think that I was surrounded by crazy people.

And finally, for the millionth time, Moore's family has no lawyers in it.

As much as Bert did this, the league set the stage for it. Had a responsibility to ensure this didn't boil over as it did. They were aware of the escalating situation....even came out to watch. Was that enough?

Well apparently it WAS for the first subsequent meeting between the two teams which, coincidentally, wasn't a blowout. Perhaps Bettman should have followed the two teams around for the rest of the season just to make sure the Canucks didn't lose their minds over Moore at some later date, eh?

Certainly for some posters here their emotional connection to this case is trumping their common sense. Deb calls Bert's attack a mere "punch" and/or "fight"; the legal system in B.C. called it a criminal assault. In order for it to be a "fight" the two combatants must be looking each other in the eye, facing each other while consenting to do battle; in this case Moore never knew what hit him. To even suggest that Bert's assault on Moore was in any way a "consentual fight" is to be disingenuous at the very least and smacks of a blind homerism that, at its extreme level, becomes unpalatable. The whole "pile up" nonsense has been dealt with in the criminal trial; it doesn't matter if the pile up caused the damage or not (and apparently the experts say that it didn't, Bert's slamming his head into the ice being the primary cause of the injury). The fact that Bert's criminal assault put the chain of events into action is sufficient to make the pile up a non factor. The people that say that the fact that Moore wasn't much of a player are ignoring the fact that in a court of law this becomes meaningless other than in determining how much money Moore might have made over the course of his career. whether or not he was a star and did or didn't deserve to be punked out because of his star status is bunk.

People saying that Naslund should sue Moore (or that Sedin should sue Keith) are ignoring the fact that these players continued their careers after healing up from their injuries and each of them subsequently signed lucrative new contracts long after the incidents in question, neither of which were considered criminal assaults by the authorities. Even Brashear continued his career after McSorely's assault on him. Moore's career ended with that assault and by all accounts he hasn't been able to do much of anything for a decade now. Seems pretty implausible to me that a guy with an alleged IQ of 138 would sit around for a decade waiting for some elusive big payout if he could get on with his life in some useful fashion. His life has apparently been ruined by a sore loser who was butthurt over a perceived wrong two months previously. People thinking that this case is destined to be finalized on the courthouse steps are forgetting that Moore is still very angry about this and may well want it to go to trial to expose everybody who had any part in it. Could prove very embarrassing for the old Canuck regime and it will be an unwanted distraction for the new one (one I am confident they can deal with).

Another common beef in Canuckland is the fact that Moore was even on the ice to begin with, as if by his very presence he was "goading" the Canucks. Many here believe that he shouldn't have been playing at all in a blowout but these people don't seem to understand that it is S.O.P. in the NHL to play your 3rd and 4th lines a lot when you are blowing another team out because 1) you don't want to run up the score too much 2) it's a good way to reward your plumbers and grinders with some extra ice time and, most importantly 3) you reduce the chance of one of your star players getting hurt (say by a loose cannon "defending his captain") in a game that is well decided. This is standard operating procedure in the NHL and this is what Granato and any other coach would do. Certainly he isn't going to let the Canucks dictate who he puts on the ice when he's blowing them out.

Bertuzzi's revenge was determined by the authorities as a criminal assault with intent to cause bodily harm. It was not a "fight". Or a "swat" (Thanks V.M.)

People who think that both the NHL erred by not suspending Moore because the Canucks demanded it and who think that Bertuzzi shouldn't have been charged with assault are in the very tiny minority once you leave this message board. Thank God for HF boards all inclusive NHL forum (not the Canuck specific one which closed the Moore thread because nobody there could keep it "civil"); I was beginning to think that I was surrounded by crazy people.

This is all very well said.

"A little beyond reason"? Seriously, no need for that. Just because I don't agree with your point doesn't make me beyond reason. Nothing saying your thinking is the "correct" point of view except that you believe it is.

Speaking of seeing a different perspective, haven't seen you do that either. But no need to butt heads, since we're not the ones deciding on any of this.

I won't repeat what others have said in response since it sums up what I would say (see, for example, thema's post). But it's tough to have a discussion when you're fighting tooth and nail about every small point. Not even Bertuzzi would say that the punch was "consensual", for example.

I am unaware of any previous legal precedent involving a payout for an injury caused by one professional athlete towards another.

But how can Steve Moore sue another player for an incident that happened on ice during a professional hockey game?

Can Sami Salo sue the guy who made him lose a nut?

Steve Moore.... I can't even comment because the way he played the game makes me so angry... From a hockey standpoint he was a coward on the ice for his actions leading up to that night, and he is showing his character with this lawsuit.

Take 10 million and STFU you bum.

I am unaware of any previous legal precedent involving a payout for an injury caused by one professional athlete towards another.

It sounds like you haven't heard of all of the brain injury-related lawsuits coming out of the NFL. The NFL has already settled $765 million worth of claims from players who have alleged brain injuries stemming from play on the field.

So, yes, there are legal precedents involving a payout for an injury caused by one professional athlete towards another. The difference in the NFL cases is that the players went after the league directly, rather than the players who caused the injuries - presumably because, in part, it would have been tough to pinpoint the exact hits (and thus the exact players) who caused the damage. It was likely a cumulative thing (unlike Moore's broken neck).

http://www.lawfirmnewswire.com/2014/03/new-brain-injury-lawsuits-filed-by-professional-athletes/

You're not too far off actually but let's clear a few things up. Naslund's career was never the same after Steve hit him. However, that being said it's the Vancouver Canucks (and even the City Of Vancouver) who should be suing Moore not Nazzy. The Canucks were one overtime goal away from beating a team that would finish one game short of winning the Stanley Cup. It's not hard to argue that a healthy Markus Naslund + an unsuspended Todd Bertuzzi (had Steve not started a train of events which would lead to Bertuzzi's suspension) would have pushed the Canucks past the Flames and onto a deep playoff run. It's conjecture, but no more conjecture than whatever arguments Steve will come up with to justify his new $68 million price tag. The Canucks/City of Vancouver' loss of revenue is probably a lot closer to that number than Steve. (for the record I don't actually think the Canucks/CoV should sue Moore I'm only pointing out they have as much of a claim for a lost $68 million as Steve.)

While yes, standard practice in the NHL argues using your 4th liners in a blowout is fair play, common sense, and Tony Granato's own actions contradict standard practice for this situation. Given Steve's camp plans to bring up all of the talk from the Canucks locker room, it's pretty clear to see that TG should have been in the mindset to protect Steve Moore late in the game. Combine that with the fact he already let Steve dictate his own benching (he never hit the ice again after he hit Naslund, May challenged him, and the linesmen protected him) and it's pretty hard to argue that TG was acting following standard practice.

Once again I will say I fully expect Bert to have to write a cheque because yes what he did was criminal (it'll be a far cry from $68 million mind you). However I am sick and tired of the one-sided argument from Steve Moore's camp which completely ignores both the NHL's (primarily through its linesmen in Denver) and the Colorado Avalanche's (primarily through Tony Granato) actions in the situation. When this comes to court we can hear the entire story from the Naslund hit onwards from all sides and it will be about damn time if you ask me.

Some of this new information should be giving pause to the defense. Firstly the new number of $68 million, while clearly excessive suggests to me that Danson, who is no fool, is very confident of victory in this case. The statement that Danson has "hockey executives who will say that he (Moore) would have blossomed into a top six forward" is worrying because if it is true and these execs actually are credible it will hurt the defense case considerably; remember that Bert was almost considered a write off at the same stage of his career having been sent down to the minors 3 times before getting traded to Van. If Danson has enough credible witnesses to say that Moore was just at the beginning of what was looking like a stellar career no judge or jury will totally ignore them. Another interesting thing is that FAQ, who at least IMHO is no rocket scientist, had a clause in his purchase agreement with Orca Bay absolving him from any monetary involvement in this case which suggests to me that he knows stuff that we don't. That won't help the defense. Nor will the fact that shortly after the incident Bert attempted to transfer most of his assets to his wife in a rather transparent attempt to make his apparent net worth appear much less than it was which any judge or jury will interpret as a slimy (and rather amateurish) move on Bert's part. Burkie's offer of a contract (the only one that Moore ever received) will also be viewed with serious skepticism by any judge or jury and will be viewed as a self serving maneuver that was not done in any kind of good faith. If former Canucks braintrust members do indeed take the stand remember that none of them work for the Canucks anymore and will have no reason to lie or skew their testimony and people like Burkie who work for rival organisations may well take the opportunity to put the screws to the Canucks organisation. Certainly they won't perjure themselves.

I think that if Bettman and Daly take the stand Danson will probably ask if the Bertuzzi incident is typical of behavior in the NHL and I'm positive they will say no citing the criminal conviction as proof of this which will also hurt the defence. The Moore camp is hoping that this incident is considered SO outside the pale of what constitute normal behavior in the NHL that it is an exceptional case and that the whole "implied consent to violence" argument doesn't wash.

I had a thought the other day which addresses the "none of this would have happened if only Moore would have stood up and fought Bert" crowd. Taking this to its most logical extreme one can say that none of this would have happened had Naslund, once the NHL had done its due diligence and rendered its verdict on the hit by Moore (which was that, while unfortunate, was indeed a legal hit) , had let the matter drop and told his team that they should put the hit behind them and concentrate on finishing the season on a high note and having a good playoff run. The fact that he either wouldn't or couldn't is to me the best possible evidence of his failings as captain of this team. As an alternative example I give you the hit on Toews by Willie Mitchell; once it was clear that the NHL deemed Mitchell's hit legal Toews and the Hawks forgot about it and concentrated their collective energies on winning a Cup. Which they did. Unlike the Canuck who let a fourth line checker completely derail their team for the better part of a year and basically destroy the core of what had been up to that time a powerhouse. I'm so glad that it appears that Benning is serious about changing the basic culture and mentality of this team from a "victim mentality" to one that will almost certainly more closely reflect that of teams like Chicago and Boston who have proven that they are winners no matter what wrongs (perceived or otherwise) that they encounter.

Naslund wasnt wih the team after being concussed. He was on the bench when the Moore incident went down, calling Bert to the bench along with his coach. The atmosphere in Van that night was very media generated, and the league didnt do enough to deter this. The Canucks then got whalloped on the score board, because Moore was distracting them by being thrown-out there by the Av's & around the line-up like bait to in-sensed dogs! Who knows what barbs were tossed between the benches as the Av's executed their game-plan of distraction to a tee... & it worked brilliantly. Sit Moore - its a normal game. But, Granato didnt trust his own team to win - without deploying the "Moore" card.

There was little Naslund could have done to prevent what eventually transpired. Take that diss & and flush-it! If I recall, Naslund didn't advocate for retribution, at anytime. He preached discipline & beat in 'em on the scoreboard. Perhaps, without the team's more cool-headed captain, (at least - he had that over Coach Crow & provided a balance that way that usually worked pretty well) out on the ice at the time, to keep Bert's anger in check - Bert completely lost his cool,..especially when that delicious bait kept keep drifting by him in a 9-2 lopsided & losing situation. The tipping point was Moore disrepecting him further by NOT acknowleding his presense, or answering the bell, with his words, or even by turning around... nothing! That punk kid was definitely gonna listen to what Bert had to say! He was going to know this team's displeasure...& learn how the entire NHL fraternity felt about rookies taking head-shots at the league's super-stars...especially if the kid's OWN team - wasnt going to teach him this lesson, themselves.

A common decency apology by Moore was required after the Naslund hit & then *poof*... all would have been, somewhat better. But the Av's went dirty-pool & rolled with the strategedy of distraction & hung Moore out like drying-salmon for bears. They didn't demonstrate that they were training him up to be a proper or respectful PRO....and neither did the league. They all went THIS route, instead. See below.

http://youtu.be/0yxLlZkknv0

Just look at Messier's reaction to taking out a fellow captain & league super-star with a cheap-shot. (55 sec)His face is divested of empathy. (1:07) That's evil intent, I thought. And - I had to ask if I was watching something WWE produced,... especially when they chose to air that "buggled" stretcher-drop & complete with commentary from those over-animated announcers. Oye ve! :picard:

Such a despicable piece "league-entitlement" there. Messier will probably never lead an NHL club's front office, because any owner or GM would be a fool to let him. He's an over-glorified league-entitled punk... & he got away with so much crap, 'cuz like Lucic & Keith...he was never properly-corrected with penalties or sanctions to stop THIS. He continually tried to maim or destroy the league's best assets & their most valuable promotional tools...with his cheatin' & evil intents,.. and honour be damned! He personifies everything we DO NOT want to teach the next generation, who are the newewst building blocks of our society. The fact that a leadership award in the NHL is actually named after him... for humanitarian reasons too..... is a farcial joke!!

I hear inklings now that he may have a few regrets, as he starts to realize just how DIS-RESPECTED he really is.,,and here he thought that he was the cat's meow & all that..for sooooo many years. If he got up on a NY City soap box & apologized for the headshots & dirty-assed things he's done over his career,...I just might have a change of heart. But - if he's soul searching quietly, that's not enough. He needs to repent & undo the damage to help alter the frequently satired-notes of a culture that his actions helped to perpetuate. He could become a true leader by doing something pro-active like that. I'll wait for it....but I won't hold my breath.

What bothers me is his claim that he can't work normally. He admitted to skating and conditioning and making an attempt to obtain medical clearance and return to the nhl. If you can skate and condition and make an attempt to return to the nhl you sure as hell can work behind a desk as a financial advisor or whatever Career that Harvard degree could get.

I believe his claim of 68 million is based off bertuzzi's income over his career. No one knows whether or not he'd make that in his career or not but to say he's owed that because he could've made it and now can't work is ridiculous.

That's like saying I could've made 1 million being a doctor last year but my high school didn't give me a good enough education to become a doctor so I should go after my high school for a million. Every one of my teachers through high school should be equally responsible fr paying me a part of one million dollars because they sucked and I'm not smart enough to be a dr. as a result if their actions.

Naslund wasnt wih the team after being concussed...he didnt travel with them & was not with them on the bench when the Moore incident went down. The atmosphere was very media generated, ..and the league didnt do enough to deter this. The Canucks were getting whalloped on the score board... because Moore was being thrown-out their like bait infront of insensed dogs, ....and who knows what barbs were being stossed about between the benches,...as the Av's executed their game-plan of distractions... & it worked!

There was little Naslund could have done to prevent what eventually transpired. Take that diss & and flush-it! If I recall, Naslund didnt advocate for retribution, at anytime,... he preached discipline & beat in 'em on the scoreboard. Perhaps without the team's more cool-headed captain,...(he had that over coach Crow & provided a balance that way that worked well)... sitting by him at the bench or playing beside him out on the ice,... to keep Bert's anger in check...Bert completely lost his cool, when the delicious bait kept keep drifting by him...in a 9-2 lopsided losing situation. Then - Moore disrepects him further by NOT acknowleding his presense,..or by answering the bell, his words, or by even turning around... nothing! This punk kid was definitely gonna listen to what Bert had to say.... & he was going to know his team's displeasure...& learn how the entire NHL fraternity felt about rookies taking head-shots at the league's super-stars...especially if the kid's OWN team - wasnt going to teach him this lesson, themselves.

A common decency apology,... by Moore was required after the Naslund hit & then *poof*... all would have been, somewhat better. But the Av's went dirty-pool & rolled with the strategedy of distractiuon & hung Moore out like drying-salmon for bears. They didnt demonstrate that they were training him up to be a proper or respectful PRO....and neither did the league. They all went THIS route, instead. See below.

http://youtu.be/0yxLlZkknv0

Just look at Messier's reaction to taking out a fellow captain & league super-star with a cheap-shot. (55 sec)His face is... pure evil.(1:07) I thought I was watching sometime WWE produced, ...especially with the airing of the buggled stretcher drop. :picard:

Such a despicable piece "league-entitlement" work & NOT as respected as he thinks he is. He probably will never lead an NHL club's front office,... because any owner or GM would be a fool to let him. He's an over-glorified league-entitled punk... & he got away with so much crap, 'cuz like Lucic & Keith...he was never properly corrected with enough applied penalties or sanctions... to stop THIS. He was attempting to destroy the league's best assets & their most valuable promotional tools...with his cheatin' desires & evil intents,...and DAMN the honor. He personifies everything... we DO not want to teach the next generation ..who are the newewst building blocks of our society. The fact that a leadership award in the NHL is actually named after him... for humanitarian reasons too,,,,, is a farcial joke!!

That's right people... the Messiers-of-life will destroy our world. I hear inklings now that he may have some regrets....as he starts to realize just how DIS-RESPECTED he really is.,,and here he thought that he was the cat's meow.... & all that.... for sooooo many years. If he got on a NY City soap box & apologized for the headshots & dirty-assed things he's done over his career,...I just might have a change of heart. But - if he's soul searching quietly, that's not enough. He needs to repent & undo the damage to help alter the often satired-notes of a culture that his actions helped to perpetuate. He could become a true leader by doing something pro-active like that.I'll wait for it....but I wont hold my breath.

Not sure y you're ranting about messier though, different type of incident and modano played afterward.

Thanks for the vid though. Never saw that, can't believe they dropped his ass! Talk about a lawsuit, wonder if they paid anything for that accident.

I just came across this. Scott Parker's (former Av's player) opinion.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2012/7/18/3151979/an-afternoon-with-former-avalanche-enforcer-scott-parker-part-2

MHH: Hey, I still ‘boo' every time Bertuzzi touches the puck. Even when I'm at home watching on TV, I boo.

SCOTT PARKER: Yeah, yeah. He's a good man. He, he is. I mean, he did get dealt some bad cards, and the thing is, [steve Moore] always thought he was better than everybody else. He went to Harvard, you know what, blow me. College grad. I never went to college, but I can kick your ass. I'll bring you right down to my IQ level if you want. I'll hit you about four times in the skull, that'll bring you right down. So, you know, Todd just, it was one of those games. Markus Naslund, the captain of the Canucks, gets taken out. It was a little sketchy what happened, but, hey. And then Moore, he fought, I think Cooke came after him and then he fought, which wasn't really a fight. Todd wasn't really thrilled with it, they were losing, I think it was 8 to 1 in their home barn.

You don't do that in Canada. You talk about a sport that they love? You talk about Europeans and soccer? That's hockey in Canada. So it's the same way, if you don't respond up there, they will eat you alive.

And Todd, he might have gone overboard, and what's crazy is, even talking to him after the fact and talking to Moe, Morris and other boys that were in that, that happened, I watched that tape about a hundred times, and just the way Todd hit him, and he actually grabbed him to soften his blow when he went down, and what happened was when Moe landed on him, he actually hit the back of his neck and it actually popped up. You know, just the way Todd was holding him.

But you know, it wasn't vicious, it was just, it was the heat of the moment. It was one of those things where you, you want to do something, but you don't know if it's gonna be big, if it's gonna be small, or how it's gonna pan out. But you wanna do something. And Todd, he might not have been right and it might have been a little overboard, but you know, he did something. I mean, at least he responded, at least he tried.

I know he's marked now. People hate him, and it's amazing what that can do to a man, too. It can make you feel this small, you know. And he's not a bad man. He's a great guy and a good family guy, and he just got marked. It's one of those things...

Todd Bertuzzi cost Steve Moore his career, plain and simple.

I think it is HIGHLY disrespectful to say stuff like "Oh, well Steve Moore was a crappy player anyways". That's really irrelevant. He was playing hockey on an NHL team... and he had it taken away from him.

Furthermore, to anyone thinking he is faking this injury... wow, just wow. He spent over 5 months in the hospital after this happened. According to Wikipedia, the incident happened on March 8, 2004, and he wasn't released from the hospital until August 22, 2004.... 5.5 months in the hospital!

Archived